Ersson Signs Two-Year Contract

Howie58

Greetings:

I saw this a few hours ago and wanted to post it for the gang:

https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/sports/nhl/philadelphia-flyers/flyers-sign-samuel-ersson-to-2-year-contract-extension/3619134/

What's interesting to me is that they had another year under the old contract.  I don't want to read more into it, but:

1) Do they really think they're locking him in very cheaply?

2) Is this "trade insurance" in case Carter Hart is either traded or faces suspension or disciplinary action from the 2018 allegations?

3) Have they essentially written off Fedotov?

4) Have they written off Cal Petersen?

5) Something we don't know, like an impending trade?

BTW, one might argue if he truly is "up and coming," this might make him more tradeable, i.e., he could be a cheap acquisition.  For whatever reason, the time of this signing reads more like a long-term strategic move than a short-term tactical one.  

Thoughts?

2 hours ago, Howie58 said:

For whatever reason, the time of this signing reads more like a long-term strategic move than a short-term tactical one.  

Thoughts

Yes on the bolded. It does have that feel to it.

Frost isn't signed yet.  I'm wondering about the implications there, as well.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Yes on the bolded. It does have that feel to it.

Frost isn't signed yet.  I'm wondering about the implications there, as well.

Yep. I don't get the urgency unless they reckon that Ersson is bait. They may also reckon that Petersen's value isn't building on the bench and they can only get 1.2 million cap relief (I think) burying him in LV. 

Heck, maybe Frost and Sam are packaged!

Edited by Howie58

14 hours ago, Howie58 said:

Yep. I don't get the urgency unless they reckon that Ersson is bait. They may also reckon that Petersen's value isn't building on the bench and they can only get 1.2 million cap relief (I think) burying him in LV. 

Heck, maybe Frost and Sam are packaged!

Hart doesn't just have to be traded by himself if they were to move him.

But when they seen this man go 6-0 with the same team in front of him it may have help them make a decision on the rebuild.

:PopcornSmiley2:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

But when they seen this man go 6-0 with the same team in front of him it may have help them make a decision on the rebuild.

Sir Occ:

Here is a piece that summarizes your view very nicely:

https://broadstreetbuzz.com/2023/08/06/carter-hart-no-longer-flyers-plans/

BTW, if I believe "Top Shelf Hockey" and other outlets on YouTube, we are days away from public announcements about the 2018 sexual misconduct issues and their resolution.  What impact they may have on Hart is unknown.  But it is clear that would-be trade partners might not make a move until this issue is resolved.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Howie58 said:

Greetings:

I saw this a few hours ago and wanted to post it for the gang:

https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/sports/nhl/philadelphia-flyers/flyers-sign-samuel-ersson-to-2-year-contract-extension/3619134/

What's interesting to me is that they had another year under the old contract.  I don't want to read more into it, but:

1) Do they really think they're locking him in very cheaply?

2) Is this "trade insurance" in case Carter Hart is either traded or faces suspension or disciplinary action from the 2018 allegations?

3) Have they essentially written off Fedotov?

4) Have they written off Cal Petersen?

5) Something we don't know, like an impending trade?

BTW, one might argue if he truly is "up and coming," this might make him more tradeable, i.e., he could be a cheap acquisition.  For whatever reason, the time of this signing reads more like a long-term strategic move than a short-term tactical one.  

Thoughts?

:confused[1]:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Howie58 said:

Sir Occ:

Here is a piece that summarizes your view very nicely:

https://broadstreetbuzz.com/2023/08/06/carter-hart-no-longer-flyers-plans/

BTW, if I believe "Top Shelf Hockey" and other outlets on YouTube, we are days away from public announcements about the 2018 sexual misconduct issues and their resolution.  What impact they may have on Hart is unknown.  But it is clear that would-be trade partners might not make a move until this issue is resolved.

Hard to believe how many want to run this guy out of town before anything has even come out. He sure doesn't seem the type (doesn't mean he isn't, but sure doesn't mean he is) and he's one of the few bright spots this team has had over the dark Fletcher era. Getting an offer you can't refuse on him is one thing...but this constant Flyers are done with him from these guys who are just pulling stuff out of their ass is ridiculous.

Edited by flyercanuck
  • Like 1
  • Good Post 3

10 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Hard to believe how many want to run this guy out of town before anything has even come out. He sure doesn't seem the type (doesn't mean he isn't, but sure doesn't mean he is) and he's one of the few bright spots this team has had over the dark Fletcher era. Getting an offer you can't refuse on him is one thing...but this constant Flyers are done with him from these guys who are just pulling stuff out of their ass is ridiculous.

Dear FC,

I have no interest in running him out of town, and if stays, he stays.  Short-term, I hope the allegations from the 2018 incident are resolved favorably.  Long-term, I think it will be interesting to see if Hart is trade bait.  As I've said here before, my concern for him is both personal and team-wide.  The next few years may be tough on him personally and may limit his trade return to boot.  From that perspective, I understand that a trade may benefit him and the team.  

BTW, I didn't realize how many were involved with this 2018 affair.  I thought it was only five players.  Apparently, it was eight or more.  Yikes.  Some have denied any involvement.  Others haven't.  It is a mess.  I hope Hart isn't involved.  But if I believe what's been said in print and YouTube, the resolution is coming soon, which is good for all parties involved. 

• Like 1

Couple of things about Hart. He was anointed at a young age as the heir to Carey Price's throne. Thanks to the bett turd and his opposition to best on best, we may never know. I'm sure this would piss CH off. It would me. The 2018 issue is hanging over everyone on that teams head, until it is resolved there will be speculation and internet garbage coming out about it.. Tough on all the players involved, and their families. For those who were guilty they should own it and let the innocents get on with their lives. Finally, CH has played behind some crap and some coaches who from a distance didn't seem to develop him the way we forecast he would develop. That doesn't mean its on them, it's just what we have all seen and agree to believe. I am certain CH thought he would be further along in his career at this point, and if I was him, would probably have asked out of the hot mess in Philly. 

Would I keep him? Yes, he is still young in goalie years. Would I trade him for the right return, probably. I don't think this is a 3 year turn around, more like 5 if they plan on drafting in the 9 or 10 slot. If DB is planning a BITFU at the deadline next March then 3 might be doable.

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

51 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Being able to "buy" your way out of a crime like this is a complete joke to the justice system. Obviously it's only for the rich and/or famous. Pro athletes, movie stars and politicians should go to jail just like the regular people would. Then it would protect the innocent from it happening again.

If I could give this a 1000 likes I would.  Sadly we live in a society were $$$$ buys quite  a bit. :( 

We should try to get this thread back on topic .....  but I get it.  The signing of Errson brings about what might happen to Hart which leads to the whole 2018 scandal.

1 hour ago, pilldoc said:

If I could give this a 1000 likes I would.  Sadly we live in a society were $$$$ buys quite  a bit. :( 

We should try to get this thread back on topic .....  but I get it.  The signing of Errson brings about what might happen to Hart which leads to the whole 2018 scandal.

We are significantly off topic and doc will keep his eyes open.

:hocky:

• Like 1

I agree, we should get things back on track.

Weren't we talking about sheep? How soft their wool is, the innocence in their eyes, the plaintiveness of their baaaleful cry?

Oh, sorry, I digress....

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

I agree, we should get things back on track.

Weren't we talking about sheep? How soft their wool is, the innocence in their eyes, the plaintiveness of their baaaleful cry?

Oh, sorry, I digress....

A sheep byt my systr once

Or was that a llama?

:5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

Any way I'm putting this back on topic.

This sends a good message to the kid that they have him in their plans.

And they did this more likely due to the Petersen acquisition because he has 2 more years on his contract so in good faith they extend Ersson so he can stay focused on getting better in the AHL this coming season and not worry if you'll be a part of the rebuild.

In my eyes this gives him the reassurances he may need. Not that he needs them.

Let the main thing be the main thing (stole that from Jalen Hurts) work on your game get better and the following season he may be the one backing Hart up.

They could just waive Petersen to the AHL noone is claiming him his last year.

And thar is even if they keep Hart or trade him maybe.

Please keep to the topic.  For now I have hidden ALL posts regarding the scandal, it simply does not belong in this thread.  For those who are so inclined and feel a need to discuss more in depth, please feel free to open a new Thread in the OFF TOPIC portion of this board.  (off course keeping it civil and family friendly)

Please note I am in no way down playing the severity of what happen, it simply does not belong in this thread and I have hidden many posts.

Thank you for your understanding.

~doc 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pilldoc said:

Please keep to the topic.  For now I have hidden ALL posts regarding the scandal, it simply does not belong in this thread.  For those who are so inclined and feel a need to discuss more in depth, please feel free to open a new Thread in the OFF TOPIC portion of this board.  (off course keeping it civil and family friendly)

Please note I am in no way down playing the severity of what happen, it simply does not belong in this thread and I have hidden many posts.

Thank you for your understanding.

~doc 

Thank you for your service doc.

• Thanks 1