Flyers preview are they the worst team in Hockey?

yave1964

I'm excited even if they miss the playoffs.

I feel like a change has been made and it sounds like they are committed with the rebuild.

So i would expect a good turnover between the start of the year and the trade deadline playoffs or no playoffs so bodies still need to be jettisoned first chance they get to add something young or new to help move closer to challenging in a year or so.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, GrittyForever said:

This is a very negative place . I may have to quit. 

Are there any other decent Flyers sites out there?

No. They all suck and have always sucked.  But have faith and be positive and try one, because their marketing department says otherwise and they have a goofy mascot.

Edited by ruxpin
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Speaking of positives ... at least the Flyers play at a legit NHL arena in Wells Fargo.....

Can you imagine the poor Yotes.  I just read that they are again playing at Mullet Arena on the campus of Arizona State Univ.

Currently it is the temporary venue for the Coyotes at lest through 2025, with a seating capacity for NHL game around 4,600.  The local Hershey Bears (AHL to the Caps) averaged double that with ~8900.  Heck even the local minor league baseball team (equivalent to AA ball), Lancaster Barnstormers, averaged just under ~4100.

So that is a positive ... at least the Flyers are not playing in a college arena. :)  

Edited by pilldoc
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, GrittyForever said:

This is a very negative place . I may have to quit. 

Are there any other decent Flyers sites out there?

Not sure what you expect of a bunch of long term Flyer fans who have watched their team use the same recipe over and over (hiring ex-players, many of whom have little or no experience at the positions they're hired for (see present regime) and when they do step out of that formula, they hire a complete idiot because he's the son of an ex-Flyers buddy. And each time they hire said guy, he has to spend a few years trying to get rid of all the terrible contracts the last guy saddled him with. 

So here were stand, zero games into the regular season, with nothing to show what this team can do (I expect them to suck, and I'm ok with that) and not one, not two, but THREE ex-Flyers brought in to manage and you want us all to sing Kumbaya? 

When the team gives us something positive, we'll be positive. Most were pretty happy when Fletcher was fired. Most were pretty happy when Briere started cleaning house. But thats just out with the old nepotism, in with the new. Most were happy when Michkov fell to us. I was elated. But let's face it, right now there really isn't anything exciting on the Flyers. It's pretty much show me the money. So far, I haven't seen a nickel. 

• Like 2
  • Good Post 1

4 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Speaking of positive Emil to take off as a star could/would be huge...got some jam to him from Tort's is good to hear...

:beer:

...sorry for the positivity...

...back to the sky is falling or the sun will never rise again comments...

Nice hands...

:PopcornSmiley2:

Edited by OccamsRazor
at least JVR is gone!

5 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Speaking of positive Emil to take off as a star could/would be huge...got some jam to him from Tort's is good to hear...

:beer:

...sorry for the positivity...

...back to the sky is falling or the sun will never rise again comments...

Nice! This is what you want going in to a new season. 

When they start losing, by all means we all dump on them, but not until. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GrittyForever said:

You want to dump on the past cause it's easy

We also dumped on it as prediction and in real time, because it was honest and realistic.

Reporting the actual news may or may not be a waste of time; I'll let you decide for yourself. From my vantage, the delusional rah rah is the waste of time.

That said, I think most of the people you're currently arguing with are actually cautiously optimistic. That's actually a drastic improvement from the crap we've historically been force fed.   I mean you do you, but allow those of us who remember yesterday the same courtesy.

You're more than welcome to your optimism.  It comes across as Stockholm Syndrome, quite frankly, but you're welcome to it. If you can't take the realism and want to threaten to leave because some realism threatens your perception of a world of purple unicorns and Care Bears and rainbows, I'd suggest the Flyers Facebook page might be the place for you.

But just a heads up:  the world didn't just start today. Yesterday (let alone several thousand yesterdays) absolutely matters. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, GrittyForever said:

Look, just because someone disagrees with you, telling them to go kill themselves is totally inappropriate. I've been a Flyers fan a looooong time, but they certainly aren't my life. I can find plenty of better things to do than watch a Fletcher run team accomplish absolutely nothing, and I did. If you want to sit there and watch that garbage and say "This is wonderful" then go ahead. 

Am I happy Briere is running the team? Well, anything is better than Fletcher. But right now it's just replacing an 1990 Lumina with a 1991 Caprice. This ex-Flyer thing has never worked, so lets see if it does this time. Makes sense. I can see why you're thrilled.

Most people on here aren't scared to call a spade a spade. And I won't change that to lovely gardening tool  just so people like you don't lose their mind because someone isn't being all sunshine lollypops and rainbows....and then tell them to kill themselves.... hypocrite much? 

Have a nice day....hope you find your forum of sheep. It isn't here. 

Edited by flyercanuck
  • Like 2
  • Good Post 1

2 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Look, just because someone disagrees with you, telling them to go kill themselves is totally inappropriate. I've been a Flyers fan a looooong time, but they certainly aren't my life. I can find plenty of better things to do than watch a Fletcher run team accomplish absolutely nothing, and I did. If you want to sit there and watch that garbage and say "This is wonderful" then go ahead. 

Am I happy Briere is running the team? Well, anything is better than Fletcher. But right now it's just replacing an 1990 Lumina with a 1991 Caprice. This ex-Flyer thing has never worked, so lets see if it does this time. Makes sense. I can see why you're thrilled.

Most people on here aren't scared to call a spade a spade. And I won't change that to lovely gardening tool  just so people like you don't lose their mind because someone isn't being all sunshine lollypops and rainbows....and then tell them to kill themselves.... hypocrite much? 

Have a nice day....hope you find your forum of sheep. It isn't here. 

I deleted the comment as soon as I saw it.

• Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, radoran said:

I made one comment about "winning the trades"

One comment.

Absolute negativity.

:5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

It's nice to see you're willing to admit it.

It's the first step in healing.  See you at the parade.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Good Post 1

14 minutes ago, radoran said:

Of course, my house a block off South Broad has been on offer as a destination for the parade since I bought it 20 years ago.

Absolute negativity.

:hocky:

So that means you've hosted several...oh wait.

It doesn't matter, rad, history resets when the sun goes down and nothing that happened before sunrise matters.

We all know that creation reset at the end of each day. I clearly remember reading in Genesis 1:14, at the beginning of the 4th day, God woke and said  "What the #### was I doing? Doesn't matter, that was yesterday. I'm going for tacos."

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I clearly remember reading in Genesis 1:14, at the beginning of the 4th day, God woke and said  "What the #### was I doing? Doesn't matter, that was yesterday. I'm going for tacos."

not to quibble about scripture...but I believe it was the 2nd day...otherwise, how does one explain Taco Tuesday

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

I can get where @GrittyForever is coming from.

Whenever a perceived positive comment is met with "Well it's better than 5 years ago, or Fletcher did this and **** Clarkie"...That gets tiresome. 

To be clear: That's not what I was getting from this conversation but there is a sentiment that is pervasive to our group that does yuck on people's yum on the regular

Our forum simply reflects the current debate culture in our society. I don't think there are too many places on the internet where everyone's singing Kum Bye Ah. Of the interwebnet's places to discuss hockey, this is perhaps the most civil. So good luck finding a place full of partially lobotomized stepfords who agree and think everything is fine.

What is happening today feels so different from the machinations of past leadership groups. At least it does to me. The focus seems to be on player development and working hard. The engagement and the words and actions of this leadership group feel really different than the Dave Scott era for certain. Different also from the let's win one before the Old Man Dies Homer era and "We have no interest in Comrie" era of straight lying to everyone either.

TL:DR, that dude's gripe shouldn't be dismissed out of hand, but we're all pretty decent people who remain cautiously optimistic.

• Like 1
  • Good Post 2

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

not to quibble about scripture...but I believe it was the 2nd day...otherwise, how does one explain Taco Tuesday

Fair point. But it doesn't matter because it wasn't today. Today is all that matters.

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, radoran said:

I was just riffing on God making tacos.

Machete Monday leads directly into Taco Tuesday.

Who would know?  Because it's Tuesday and Monday didn't happen/doesn't matter.

Edited by ruxpin

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

that dude's gripe shouldn't be dismissed out of hand, but we're all pretty decent people who remain cautiously optimistic.

Yes.  But that's the thing, we're all being labeled as negative because we dane to be even "cautious" because of over a decade of "we've changed X, so it's all good now."

I agree with pretty much everything you said.  But I think the attitude of "it's negative if it's not blindly rah rah" just reeks of  intellectual incapacitation.

Edited by ruxpin
  • Like 3

52 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Yes.  But that's the thing, we're all being labeled as negative because we dane to be even "cautious" because of over a decade of "we've changed X, so it's all good now."

I agree with pretty much everything you said.  But I think the attitude of "it's negative if it's not blindly rah rah" just reeks of  intellectual incapacitation.

Agree ... its like the all or none principle.   You, me and others for the most part are, to use the term over and over again, are "cautiously optimistic" which is not wrong and many of us have said as much. However, to be labeled as is being as too negative because we are not dancing around here with pom poms is going to the other extreme of the spectrum.

It's as the old proverb goes .... fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me .... we are now going on a full decade of this organization of fooling us.  It is true many of us have been jaded over the years...so yea ...many of us are "cautiously optimistic."  We are just not going to be waving our pom poms like a bunch of HS Cheerleaders until we see meaningful change on the ice.

To the point though ....."cautiously optimistic" "perpetual negativity".

@mojo1917

You are spot on with your post.  Thank you .....

Edited by pilldoc
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1