Game 19: Philadelphia Flyers @ New York Islanders; 11/22/23 @ 7:30 PM, NBCSP

Howie58

Greetings:

The Isles are favorites (-148), under the assumption we've been overachievers:

https://www.dimers.com/news/flyers-vs-islanders-prediction-and-odds-november-22-2023-45979

Historically, home advantage has made a big difference:

https://flyershistory.com/cgi-bin/opponent.cgi?New_York_Islanders

Writ large, this is a test of the Metro Division's pecking order.  Are the Flyers moving up while the Pens, Isles, and Caps move south?  TBD.

Edited by Howie58

For the last 6 years or so the Islanders were a bad match-up for the Flyers,  particularly the Simmonds-less Giroux led teams.

I'll be interested to see if the Isles still have the Flyers number.

I think maybe the combination of fitness and the good-vibes in the room turns the tide.

The Isles still have some really good defenseman. I'm curious about this game.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Funny how well the team plays without all Fletchers key acquisitions, innit?

Funny alright, in a sad, sad way. Fletcher’s big moves only helped the players he signed and his trading partners that’s it. The Flyers not so much. 

Once Ristolainen’s gone Fletcher’s stink will finally be off the team, all except for the picks he gave away to acquire those prize rejects. 

Hated that goal by Lee.

I know he's big and strong,  but geez.

I think Carter and Z would want that back. 

Looks to me like the Flyers are quicker to transition and that's causing some problems for the. Isles; who should be better with that roster. 

yeah bad goal by Hart - Lee is a strong guy but Hart never sealed the post. Zamula could've done more there too - easy for me to say I know.

So Sororkin beats the Flyers what else is new. He came in with a .944 Save % vs. the Flyers and it probably went up tonight. Still a good game - nice to see the refs stay out of it too. Win or lose it's great to see the Flyers competing like a real NHL team again.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

Hated that goal by Lee.

I know he's big and strong,  but geez.

I think Carter and Z would want that back. 

Looks to me like the Flyers are quicker to transition and that's causing some problems for the. Isles; who should be better with that roster. 

yeah, my thought as well...Z more so...he needs to tie up the player there and not give him free whacks at the puck....on that note...Z is still hot and cold...he will make a beautiful outlet pass, or use his body to box out a player...but then he will also make a poor decision with the puck and cause a turnover or miss and easy out of the zone...

so he's at 50% where he needs to be IMO

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

13 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

yeah bad goal by Hart - Lee is a strong guy but Hart never sealed the post. Zamula could've done more there too - easy for me to say I know.

So Sororkin beats the Flyers what else is new. He came in with a .944 Save % vs. the Flyers and it probably went up tonight. Still a good game - nice to see the refs stay out of it too. Win or lose it's great to see the Flyers competing like a real NHL team again.

This is all I want...a team that competes, even if they lose. Not a bunch of slugs like Hayes and JVR cashing their ridiculous paychecks and never breaking a sweat.

• Like 2
  • Good Post 1

5 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

This is all I want...a team that competes, even if they lose. Not a bunch of slugs like Hayes and JVR cashing their ridiculous paychecks and never breaking a sweat.

Hhhhhmmmmmmm...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Draisaitl + 1R for Hart. What no McDavid too? How do people come up with this stuff? I know they're going crazy in Edmonton but I didn't think they were this far gone.

What if it's the Flyers' first rounder going the other way?

Still not saying it's a good idea on either side...

4 minutes ago, radoran said:

What if it's the Flyers' first rounder going the other way?

Still not saying it's a good idea on either side...

From the multiple reports I have seen some of the leaks are just the start of a trade possibility more pieces can/will/could is all.

But just like the leak Sanheim and Hayes deal we saw fall through this too may be coming from agents of these players just to maybe squash it even.

Or it could all be false. I just post what I see.

We'll just have to wait to watch it develop if it does.

IMHO not ragging on anyone but Oilers just really don't have anything I'd want except their 2 centers they don't want to really move.

But it seems with them something has to give.

Stay tuned.

:PopcornSmiley2:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

ah right it could read that way too. I agree a bad deal either way.

I really don't want to trade Hart right now.

So many many more players I want to move before Carter Hart I'm will to let him mature and grow up with the Cup winning team in say 4 years.

My whole biggest problem with trade him is DID WE NOT LEARN ANYTHING FROM TRADING BOB?

Sorry don't mean to shout but it just hit me today and helped me articulate about him.

I just move Cam and Laughton before him.

Move Staal and Seeler before him.

Trade Tippett and Hathaway before him.

So many more move to be made before him.

• Like 2
  • Good Post 1

No need to apologize - the way the Flyers handled Bobrovsky is a study in mismanagement. For all I know the Flyers are still paying Bryzgalov.

Keep Tippett. Briere will be busy dealing Staal, Walker, Seeler and Atkinson. Hathaway if possible. But I would want a big (lopsided) return for a young, smooth-skating goal-scorer like Tippett.

Tippett and TK, Farabee, Brink, Foerster are the guys I would build the offense around. And I wouldn't be quick to move Laughton. Every Cup team has a guy (or guys) the others rally around. They're not so easy to replace. Chemistry is everything. If he's as important to the Flyers as everybody says he is ... best keep him. He won't fetch much anyway.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Keep Tippett.

But i ain't giving him more than what TK is making right now i ain't giving him 6-7 mill per season i just can't so if that is what he wants then he will be shipped out in my rebuild model.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

But i ain't giving him more than what TK is making right now i ain't giving him 6-7 mill per season i just can't so if that is what he wants then he will be shipped out in my rebuild model.

Agreed. Konecny brings much more than his numbers. Tippett deserves a raise of course but he shouldn't expect a huge-$$ deal. He had a good season last year but after all it was just 49 pts. Hopefully they all agree to a reasonable contract, something like 4 years/$20mil.

• Like 1

Agree that Tippet should get less than TK.  In fact, much less.  Only 49 points last year & also one of the worse plus/minus players.  And again this year one of the worse/plus minus players.  Plus, he's a RFA, not a UFA. 

• Like 1

Evil Gritty is a quasi troll account.  He's a funny, hot-take, mostly satire X account.

If he's the source of any information,  that could be considered news, it should definitely be confirmed by a few other sources.