Game 23: New Jersey Devils at Philadelphia Flyers; 11/30/23 @ 7 PM, NBCSP

Howie58

Greetings:

The Devils are favored (-150), despite being something of an underperformer and lower in the Metro standings:

https://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/new-jersey-devils-philadelphia-flyers-2023113015/?fr=sycsrp_catchall

This is the first meeting this year.  We split last year's meetings (2-2).  On paper, this is NJ's offense versus our defense:

https://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/njd-vs-phi/2023/11/30/2023020344

Hopefully, the Carolina game is mentally erased.  

9 hours ago, Howie58 said:

despite being something of an underperformer

They've had injuries to some key players and their goaltending has struggled. When they're healthy the Devils are a complete team except in net. The Flyers will have their hands full tonight even though Meier and Haula are out - Hamilton left the game on Tuesday he may be out too.

The Flyers should be able to get some pucks past Vanecek.

I have hated the Devils for almost 30 years.

I hope the Flyers stomp their stupid asses.

If we are to believe what we've been seeing out of this Flyers team so far, is in fact who they are, they should beat a banged-up Devils squad.

The Flyers have been struggling to score goals lately.

Some of that is Sorokin and Shesterkin-itis...but the effort against a good Hurricanes team didn't yield many good chances. So they've scored 4 goals in the last 5 and that's not good Bob.

With Noah Cates out of the lineup, now is the chance for another youngling or serial underperformer...MORGAN FROST to step up.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

I have hated the Devils for almost 30 years.

With Noah Cates out of the lineup, now is the chance for another youngling or serial underperformer...MORGAN FROST to step up.

This is it for Frost, throughout the organization we are not deeply skilled at center, so with Cates out this is probably Frost's last chance to win a full time spot. He is more naturally skilled than Cates and Laughton, but if hes not suited  for their type of role, he has to create offense and win faceoffs to win a spot.  He's gonna have about a twenty game run to do something and prove he is a second or third line center. If he fails, when Gauthier comes along the second line center spot will be taken, Coots has the top spot and Poehling is also playing we'll, so this is a big test for his future in Philly.

• Like 2

Basically 2 point-blank shots on breakaway odd-man chances...I can't really blame Hart much.

But the lineman really blew it on the icing call - ends with L. Hughes hurt and Hathaway major/misconduct all because the linesman didn't blow the whistle. Even the Devils' announcers saying it was a clean hit and the linesman screwed it up.

What's the point of reviewing a major if they don't have the audio, which is Toronto's only excuse for upholding the call.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

Hart is not at the top of his game. Our PP passes a lot, but no shots. Awful.

I realize Ersson is the backup but dude got a shutout and then gets put back on the shelf for a few weeks. He should have got the start tonight. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

But the lineman really blew it on the icing call - ends with L. Hughes hurt and Hathaway major/misconduct all because the linesman didn't blow the whistle. Even the Devils' announcers saying it was a clean hit and the linesman screwed it up.

What's the point of reviewing a major if they don't have the audio, which is Toronto's only excuse for upholding the call.

Yep…horrible call.  I can’t remember the last time I saw I saw a boarding call where the player was hit into the boards at an angle like Hughes was.  This is one of those times that we might see the game misconduct rescinded tomorrow.

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

Farabee's in the doghouse for dogging it up ice when the Devils scored their 1st goal. He wasn't the only one. He's also been a bit quiet the past few games - still getting shots but hasn't scored in awhile...since the first Isles game IIRC.

Hart is putting on a goaltending clinic on these PKs. Best PP in the NHL and Hart / Flyers have blanked them 4 times one a major.

Edited by GratefulFlyers
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

So they can do that I wasn’t sure. If ever one should be overturned that one should qualify. 

Yes.  Doesn’t happen often, though.  The only reason they do it is because after so many game misconducts you get suspended.  At least it used to be that way.

Edited by AlaskaFlyerFan
  • Thanks 1

Nice comeback by the Flyers, to tie it. They didn't hang their heads, after being down 3-1, with so many shots on goal. Good effort by the team, especially in the last five minutes..and excellent goaltending by Hart to keep the team in it. Finish the job in OT, Flyguys.

• Like 1

Well that was sad. And quick. Perfect execution by the Hughes brothers and game over. Suck! 

Why o why are the Flyers so goddamn nonchalant in OT? Every damn time it’s like they’re at practice instead of still in a game. 

edit: Sanheim is smarter than that. He knows unless he hits twine the Flyers are caught chasing. But he shoots anyway. Just mentally lazy, stupid hockey.

Edited by GratefulFlyers

2 hours ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

Yep…horrible call.  I can’t remember the last time I saw I saw a boarding call where the player was hit into the boards at an angle like Hughes was.  This is one of those times that we might see the game misconduct rescinded tomorrow.

Just a crazy crazy fukup by the refs and Hathaway pays...total BS.

Well, this is a game that highlighted team effort and the absence of talent.  We kill off a 5-minute penalty (hockey justice given the call) and muster nearly 50 shots.  But our PP is more passing than shooting, the Devils out-chance, and our OT (as usual) is pretty inept.  Quality first round picks make a difference.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Howie58 said:

Quality first round picks make a difference.  

Bingo. Picking 14th (yet again) isn't going to get Philly a cup. A Michkov isn't going to fall into our lap every year.

Yes it's nice to see a team that actually tries out there again, but they really need a total rebuild. And this is just trying to get back to 1st and 2nd round playoff losses. Wash/rinse/repeat.

• Like 3