Game 30: Detroit Red Wings at Philadelphia Flyers; 12/16/23 @ 7 PM, NBCSP

Howie58

Greetings:

The O and B are mild favorites (-128).  The teams have nearly identical records, but the Flyers have been a much better team over the last 10.  We have done well versus Detroit at WFC:

https://www.oddsshark.com/nhl/detroit-philadelphia-odds-december-16-2023-2017699

Neither team is stellar on faceoffs.  The Wings are better offensively; we're better defensively:

https://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/det-vs-phi/2023/12/16/2023020465

Let's go Flyers.  

• Thanks 1

I saw Torts' pre-game presser.  Sam is back in.  When a reporter asked who's back-up, the reply was "you," followed by "I don't know."  I'm not sure if that means Carter Hart is still sick, Sandstrom is still back up, or if someone else has been called up.  I thought it was a legitimate question that Torts brushed off with contempt that was uncalled for.  

Points in eight straight games is not something I expected from this season.  I should have greater appreciation for a goaltending clinic.  

Kudos to Risto for what looked like a very good game.  He was knocking into people (cutting Fabbri), using his stick to break up plays--good effort.  

• Like 2

This is getting ridiculous the Flyers keep winning and I’m going to start worrying.

I had the Philly feed and they mentioned Yzerman was in a similar spot with the Wings last year…they looked like a PO team…beaten some good teams then lost a pair to Ottawa near the TD. Instead of “going for it” he sold assets and acquired picks, kept the rebuild on track. Boucher and his partner both thought Briere will have the same decision this year…and they both were confident he’d make the same one. I sure hope they’re right!

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

This is getting ridiculous the Flyers keep winning and I’m going to start worrying.

I had the Philly feed and they mentioned Yzerman was in a similar spot with the Wings last year…they looked like a PO team…beaten some good teams then lost a pair to Ottawa near the TD. Instead of “going for it” he sold assets and acquired picks, kept the rebuild on track. Boucher and his partner both thought Briere will have the same decision this year…and they both were confident he’d make the same one. I sure hope they’re right!

You are right. I think Briere knows the score. And he probably understands that The Process will go nowhere unless the team culture develops along with talent. I think we are seeing that happen in a positive way.

This will be an interesting March 8th, though we could see things happen beforehand. The one drawback might be what I said in a post earlier this year--we might see a decline in play once assets go, particularly for picks. But that is short-term pain. We see.

11 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

Right, I'm thinking about it all wrong. Still GMs aren't that stupid are they? 

One used an 8th overall on him. Another used a 13th overall, 2-2nds, a 7th Shayne Gostisbehere and Robert Hagg on him. Then watched him be absolutely terrible, and then signed him for 5 years at $5 million per. 

So to answer your question, yes....yes they are. 😉

Edited by flyercanuck
  • Haha 1
  • Good Post 1
  • Uggh... 1

54 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

Right, I'm thinking about it all wrong. Still GMs aren't that stupid are they? 

Pods, I really don't know.  Maybe if we eat salary.  What we gave up for him...yikes.  That will never be recouped.  But the dude hits.  Someone may bite.  Remember, the cap goes up 4.2 million next year...

Ristolainen blocked some shots at key times late in the 3rd (along with everybody in the O&B) but Ersson was the star of the night. Lyon/Husso were also real good.

Does anyone else think they keep Ristolainen (barring some great deal)? Fletcher threw away so much to get him I can see the Flyers' brass feeling like they have to "get their money's worth." Throwing good money after bad...but no the Flyers have never done that before. 

38 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Does anyone else think they keep Ristolainen (barring some great deal)? Fletcher threw away so much to get him I can see the Flyers' brass feeling like they have to "get their money's worth." Throwing good money after bad...but no the Flyers have never done that before. 

Man I don't know, Danny Jonesy doesn't say too much about which guys are at the top of the" to trade" list.

People around the league like a big guy, who can hit and skate a little bit. So there is probably a market for Rasmus.

Since he's simplified his game Risto-bro has been good.

No qualifiers, he's been good.

That contract is inflated for what he's bringing though, so a trade result may be he brings back "not much" except cap savings.

Then a legit question is pay him to play a role here or pay him to play for another team? 

I know a lot of people hate the player, recently that hate is not warranted based on his play. 

His situation is one of the myriad difficult choices coming down the line.

2 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

Man I don't know, Danny Jonesy doesn't say too much about which guys are at the top of the" to trade" list.

People around the league like a big guy, who can hit and skate a little bit. So there is probably a market for Rasmus.

That contract is inflated for what he's bringing though, so a trade result may be he brings back "not much" except cap savings.

Then a legit question is pay him to play a role here or pay him to play for another team? 

I know a lot of people hate the player, recently that hate is not warranted based on his play. 

His situation is one of the myriad difficult choices coming down the line.

He has played better. I will admit that. But he was sooooo lousy before, just playing bad is an improvement. 😉

The thing with him is, he just isn't a smart hockey player. He's the guy who would take a holding penalty in the offensive zone in game 7 OT in the cup final. 😆

Edited by flyercanuck
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

I still say he’s been good … for Ristolainen. Everyone liked his game last night because he was blocking shots and protecting the net. Great. But what’s to like when he lugs the puck and gets caught nearly every time, forcing a dump-in and canceling an odd-man rush? Of course that happens to everybody sometimes but it happens to Ristolainen a lot. He was skating top pair minutes last night and his skating was exposed as a real weakness imho.

Am I wrong? I don’t like him so I’m grading him harsh? Could be… I don’t think so.

I always thought he was okay with the puck on his stick and his wheels, not blazing speed or anything but not a major hindrance. The first few years in Buffalo he actually was an offensive D-man, has the numbers to prove it. Nowadays his skating is a fkn joke and the joke’s on us.

Edited by GratefulFlyers

8 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

There is honestly no way* for him to play up to what they gave up and what they then paid him.

He's not Von Hayes, but he's damn close.

He's been serviceable but "serviceable" isn't what that position on the roster or the cap needs to be.

If someone needs and defensemen and DJ:smallTM: Can wrangle a nice pick and/or prospect by retaining some Comcastbucks? Sign me up.

And that can happen in any of the next four years or they can buy him out of they need the cap space.

He got check of the game and then sent someone to the locker room so #flyers right?

And I like Finns!

:hocky:

* He could win the Conn Smythe on a Cup winning Flyers team as the defending Norris trophy winner.

• Like 1