Game 34: Philadelphia Flyers at Vancouver Canucks; 12/28/23 @ 10 PM, NBCSP

Howie58

Greetings:

Vancouver is the favorite (-168) and a 63% win probability.

https://www.dratings.com/predictor/nhl-hockey-predictions/b5a5aee5-fa77-5463-9a8f-9d828681f12a

Both teams are playing great hockey over the last 10, but the Canucks have been even stingier on D than the Flyers, and they score 3/4 of goal higher on average:

https://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/phi-vs-van/2023/12/28/2023020543

We won the first game in Philly 2-0.  On paper, this is a tough matchup for us.  

Edited by Howie58
  • Like 1

• Howie58 changed the title to Game 34: Philadelphia Flyers at Vancouver Canucks; 12/28/23 @ 10 PM, NBCSP
15 hours ago, Howie58 said:

On paper, this is a tough matchup for us.  

Indeed. On paper and even more so at the rink. But we’ve seen the Flyers beat good teams this year. I won’t be shocked if they skate away with a win. That Detroit game before the break was one of those that can bring a team to another level of competition…the whole “belief” thing. Assuming they have another level that is…hard to say whether the Flyers do or don’t. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Indeed. On paper and even more so at the rink. But we’ve seen the Flyers beat good teams this year. I won’t be shocked if they skate away with a win. That Detroit game before the break was one of those that can bring a team to another level of competition…the whole “belief” thing. Assuming they have another level that is…hard to say whether the Flyers do or don’t. 

As my mom would say, "from your lips to God's ears." We've taken four of the last six with a less competent Flyers team.  Back-to-back games. Hope they avoid jet lag!

Settling in to watch a bit of late night hockey....

Classic match up of Flyer defensive tactics vs Canucks dangerous offense.
Ersson is gonna have to be on his peak tonight.

Interesting...both coaches, Torts and Toch are no-nonsense guys, yet their teams are playing very different styles.

Somebody over on the Flyers bench needs to get control of that PP though.
Putrid doesn't even begin to describe it.

The Minnesota Wild have been known for the past two seasons especially, to have a pretty rank PP....but this current Philly PP makes those Wild teams look like the 80's Oilers or Islanders....yikes...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Never thought I'd be saying this, but...Ristolainen looks like an actual...ahem...NHL defenseman playing under Torts.

Granted, he will still come up with one of his patented RistoBrainFreezes, but his overall play, attention to detail looks like has increased pretty significantly.
I guess he took it to heart that if he wants ice time, he is gonna have to play the coaches way.
I also saw some small article awhile back where Risto actually praised Torts' influence on the team as a whole where he acknowledged that players such as himself MUST play with better accountability.

Coming from the type of player who would regularly leave a Tycho Crater sized hole in his defensive position to make a hit, then can't get back in time fast enough, that is pretty impressive.
And his game is no longer as cringe worthy...

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26
  • Like 2

LOL @ these Canadian commercials (watching the Vancouver feed of the game).

"Americans don't know %$#@ about hockey"

Then the guy goes on to ask typical Americans what various hockey terms are and the stupid hilarious answers ensue...

Interviewer, asking an Asian American lady: "What is 'off sides' in hockey?
Asian Lady: "It's when....everyone is off to the side.."  

Interviewr asking a "duudde" looking guy: "What is a bucket, in hockey?
Duuuuude guy: "It's when it goes straight in...swooosh..." 

😆

Not sure what kind of blender thing Torts has going right now (or maybe it was one of those in between line changes), but somehow, Joel Farabee ended up on a line with Garnett Hathaway (and I would assume the other guy was Deslauriers), and I am not sure how the Flyers are expecting a goal scorer like Farabee to do much with scoring hacks like those other two on the same line...especially when it looked like Farabee was trying to generate something...only to have Hathaway bungle and semblance of a rush...

Nick Seeler looks like he is having himself a good defensive game.

I know some Flyer fans perhaps really didn't like him, but when you don't have him playing above his pairing weight class, he does well.
Guy won't generate offense, he won't lead anything points wise, but he is a solid defensive defenseman, can play hard nosed when necessary, can usually keep up with most forwards in the attacking zone, and just does his job, even if unspectacularly.

He is doing that tonight.

And as I finish this, Owen Tippett, with lots of movement in the offensive zone, draws a penalty against Vancouver.
Who has the advantage?
Flyer power-less play? Or the Canuck PK units? 
We shall soon see...

• Like 1

Well hot damn....a Flyer PP goal......
Zamula gets the tally.

Hold on wait...Zamula? 
WTF is a Zamula???

Sounds like a species of wild horse....
Anyways....puck past Casey DeSmith (having a very good year as Demko's backup BTW), and Philly is up 1-0 with 4 and a half left in the 2nd.

Canucks gonna push back now....its what they've been doing all season so far.
Torts has to have his guys know that...

And now the Canucks with a TERRIBLE turnover at the Flyer blue line sees Joel "Don't Line Me Up With Hathaway" Farabee get a breakaway and HE gets one past DeSmith.

Boy...DeSmith must look like he is still wearing Pittsburgh gold n black to these Flyer players...
3-0 Fly and there is still 2 and a half to go.

3 goals in about 2 minutes.
Is Torts a genius yet? :bigteeth: 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

And now the Canucks with a TERRIBLE turnover at the Flyer blue line sees Joel "Don't Line Me Up With Hathaway" Farabee get a breakaway and HE gets one past DeSmith.

Boy...DeSmith must look like he is still wearing Pittsburgh gold n black to these Flyer players...
3-0 Fly and there is still 2 and a half to go.

3 goals in about 2 minutes.
Is Torts a genius yet? :bigteeth: 

Torts has them working hard and they are opportunistic. I suspect opponents think it's a fluke and pay a price.

• Like 1

Jeebus, Atkinson...
I know you have to stand up for your teammate, but that hit on Farabee was clean, and Farabee was none the worse for wear.

You jumped the Vancouver player, and now give the dangerous Canucks a PP chance.
You take a name and number and get him later.

Edit:
As I finish this, Garnett Freakin Hathaway scores a short handed goal....wow...

And that puts Philly back up by three.

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26
  • Like 1

What happened to Ersson and Konecny? I was sidetracked for 5 minutes and announcers aren’t saying anything other than they are off the ice.

well Ersson only dehydrated. Probably flu related.

Edited by flyerrod

9 minutes ago, flyerrod said:

What happened to Ersson and Konecny? I was sidetracked for 5 minutes and announcers aren’t saying anything other than they are off the ice.

well Ersson only dehydrated. Probably flu related.

Not sure about TK, but Ersson had to leave due to dehydration for sure, not due to some physical injury as was being speculated by some.

Hart is still scheduled for tomorrow's game in Seattle, but you Flyer fans can breathe some relief that they don't have to replace Ersson on the roster anytime soon.

8 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Not sure about TK, but Ersson had to leave due to dehydration for sure, not due to some physical injury as was being speculated by some.

Hart is still scheduled for tomorrow's game in Seattle, but you Flyer fans can breathe some relief that they don't have to replace Ersson on the roster anytime soon.

Word is TK has the Flu.

• Like 1