Hart on leave…

Not presuming Hart was involved or not involved - I wouldn't know - I am and have been presuming for some time that he wouldn't be the starting goalie for this team when it was finally a contender.  You have to know when to cash in assets and I didn't think the Hart asset was going to be worth more in the future.

9 hours ago, SCFlyguy said:

We should have traded him when we had the chance.  Another asset wasted.

When would this have been?

2020 after the bubble?

Wasn't going to happen then. 

Why would anyone rush to trade a player that doesn't need an extention if they are playing well and you think maybe this is the guy that fixes a decades long issue?

He's not going to get a new, big contract from DJ that seems clear from interviews I've heard.

As for hoping the kid didn't act like a barbarian,  I hope all kids don't act like barbarians. Why would a famous kid with sports skill be excluded? @thegx.ca

Its not silly- you could  read the article by Kate Strang, Dan Roboson and Ian Mendes that was in the Athletic . It will help you to understand how not silly that incident was.

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

13 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

When would this have been?

2020 after the bubble?

Wasn't going to happen then. 

Why would anyone rush to trade a player that doesn't need an extention if they are playing well and you think maybe this is the guy that fixes a decades long issue?

He's not going to get a new, big contract from DJ that seems clear from interviews I've heard.

As for hoping the kid didn't act like a barbarian,  I hope all kids don't act like barbarians. Why would a famous kid with sports skill be excluded? @thegx.ca

Its not silly- you could  read the article by Kate Strang, Dan Roboson and Ian Mendes that was in the Athletic . It will help you to understand how not silly that incident was.

Mainly because there's nothing wrong with being a barbarian...and everything wrong with being a rapist...but why ask me about that? Is there a specific post of mine that you replying to here or you just thought I should be the one to ask about barbarism?

Thats some pretty concrete thinking on your part. 

@thegx.ca

I hope the kid isn't a rapist, i hope all kids arent rapists.

Better?

ffs

Edited by mojo1917

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

Thats some pretty concrete thinking on your part. 

@thegx.ca

I hope the kid isn't a rapist, i hope all kids arent rapists.

Better?

ffs

FFS...well of course that's better...big difference between barbarians and rapists...still why should you want to tag me with the barbarian questions?

13 hours ago, hmc687 said:

I mean does anyone see how silly this is?  Talking about how we hope Carter Hart wasnt involve in *alleged* sexual misconduct...from 2018...in 2024.  And Canadian police pressed zero criminal charges.

And this alleged incident happened when he was 18 years old...

This is why I tagged you, specifically the part where you ask if we see how silly it is?

I was given a book "the best sports writing of 2023" for my birthday, that story, mentioned in my post, was in the compilation.

The story is horrific.

I don't find any part of what happened "silly", irrespective of people's ages or when the incident happened.

Turns out all this indignation was directed at the wrong person. sorry @thegx.ca

Edited by mojo1917
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Are you guessing or have you seen the video?

How would I have seen the video?  The issue is why we're talking about this in 2024 and not in 2018 or 2019 or 2020 or 2021...and so on.

The reality is nobody but those involved know what happened, but it is certainly convenient to state it was rape when those involved are assumedly rich.  I am not saying it wasnt rape or it wasnt a crime...just pointing out the convenience of the timeline.

14 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

This is why I tagged you, specifically the part where you ask if we see how silly it is?

I was given a book "the best sports writing of 2023" for my birthday, that story, mentioned in my post, was in the compilation.

The story is horrific.

I don't find any part of what happened "silly", irrespective of people's ages or when the incident happened.

I'm glad you acknowledged it was a STORY because that's all that it is right now - a STORY.  If it was so horrific why has nobody been arrested or incarcerated?  And this HORRIFIC incident happened 6-7 yrs ago...that's a LONG time for no criminal charges to come to light.  A very long time.

2 hours ago, SCFlyguy said:

Not presuming Hart was involved or not involved - I wouldn't know - I am and have been presuming for some time that he wouldn't be the starting goalie for this team when it was finally a contender.  You have to know when to cash in assets and I didn't think the Hart asset was going to be worth more in the future.

Are you now saying the team is a contender?

22 minutes ago, hmc687 said:

How would I have seen the video?  The issue is why we're talking about this in 2024 and not in 2018 or 2019 or 2020 or 2021...and so on.

The reality is nobody but those involved know what happened, but it is certainly convenient to state it was rape when those involved are assumedly rich.  I am not saying it wasnt rape or it wasnt a crime...just pointing out the convenience of the timeline.

Breaking: Five members of the 2018 world junior hockey team have been told to surrender to London, Ont., police to face charges of sexual assault, The Globe and Mail reports, citing unnamed sources. The Globe reports the players, who have not been charged yet, have been given a set period of time to present themselves at London police headquarters. via @robyndoolittle .

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Cheesesteak said:

Well, there is a Dube involved :dancing:

Breaking: Five members of the 2018 world junior hockey team have been told to surrender to London, Ont., police to face charges of sexual assault, The Globe and Mail reports, citing unnamed sources. The Globe reports the players, who have not been charged yet, have been given a set period of time to present themselves at London police headquarters. via @robyndoolittle .

4 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Thank you for the information.

Before we CANCEL HART...he's been charged with wrongdoing.  Let's allow court system to determine whether or not he's guilty of anything.

Don't put the cart before the horse.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, hmc687 said:

Thank you for the information.

Before we CANCEL HART...he's been charged with wrongdoing.  Let's allow court system to determine whether or not he's guilty of anything.

Don't put the cart before the horse.

Hopefully everyone let's this play out.

He should be given a chance to prove his side of any story.

Should be innocent till proven guilty.

• Like 2

... and a previous piece:

@hmc687I have no idea who did what to whom, and nobody has been convicted (or even charged yet) in this deal. The RCMP has a pretty established history of going to bat for junior hockey players in this country. Many, many, many girls over many, many, decades have been dissuaded from bringing charges, have been threatened, etc. This type of thing is, unfortunately, not at all new here.

It happens so often that Hockey Canada had set up multiple slush funds to deal with sexual assault accusations.

Edited by JR Ewing
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Uggh... 1

3 hours ago, SCFlyguy said:

Well regardless of out come due to his age not saying he is old but I could see them moving him before signing him to an extention when it is all over which could take a year or longer you never know.

57 minutes ago, hmc687 said:

Don't put the cart before the horse

I'm not sure what this even means. Professional sports team rarely cuts ties with a talented player over accusations. As for public opinion, who cares. It carries no weight. If he did something wrong, the court sytem is supposed to figure it out. If he is found guilty, public opinion will be the least of his worries

If a person on here chooses to believe he is guilty without a tril, and chooses to hate on him, that's their choice. If someone chooses to give give him BOD, again, their choice

48 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Hopefully everyone let's this play out.

He should be given a chance to prove his side of any story.

Should be innocent till proven guilty

I get what you are saying, but again, IT WILL play out. I imagine he will get his day in court to tell his side. But like you said, there's a lot of smoke, as far as pending charges and these leaves of absence.

Personally, Im glad he is on this leave of absence. Guilty or not, playing hockey should be secondary. It also gives the Flyers the opportunity to focus on the play of their current goal-tending staff without the ongoing distraction

• Like 3

1 hour ago, hmc687 said:

I'm glad you acknowledged it was a STORY because that's all that it is right now - a STORY.  If it was so horrific why has nobody been arrested or incarcerated?  And this HORRIFIC incident happened 6-7 yrs ago...that's a LONG time for no criminal charges to come to light.  A very long time

See @JR Ewing 's posts.

Perhaps I should have used the word reporting. Story implies a work of fiction to some. 

Letting boys be boys, is not the way to raise men.

Society needs to do better, North America has been looking the other way for a long time when it comes to certain boys and their behaviors.

• Like 4

I really do appreciate Danny and his ability to answer questions.  Having a GM that has played the game in the same century seems to be beneficial.  Who'da thought.  

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

See @JR Ewing 's posts.

Perhaps I should have used the word reporting. Story implies a work of fiction to some. 

Letting boys be boys, is not the way to raise men.

Society needs to do better, North America has been looking the other way for a long time when it comes to certain boys and their behaviors.

About 20 years ago, I read Crossing the Line, by Laura Robinson. Not a fun little sports book.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossing_the_Line:_Sexual_Assault_in_Canada's_National_Sport

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

... and a previous piece:

It happens so often that Hockey Canada had set up multiple slush funds to deal with sexual assault accusations.

Lmao Jesus.  I was not aware but holy moly XD

However, I doubt its just NHL.  All those sport leagues gotta be doing the same

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hmc687 said:

I'm glad you acknowledged it was a STORY because that's all that it is right now - a STORY.  If it was so horrific why has nobody been arrested or incarcerated?  And this HORRIFIC incident happened 6-7 yrs ago...that's a LONG time for no criminal charges to come to light.  A very long time.

If the allegation had come out 6 or 7 years later, I could understand the skepticism. But as I understand it, the allegation came pretty soon after the event. The investigation was closed a year later, then reopened two years after that. Somewhere in there was a settlement. It certainly sounds to me like efforts where made to handle the issue without too much damage.

You wrote that we should not CANCEL Carter Hart based on an allegation of wrongdoing. Well I say let's not cancel the victim because you don't want your start goalie to be guilty

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

So, here's a question.   Let's say Carter is found guilty and (I admit I don't know the whole story) Hockey Canada is thought to have to have tried to cover this up previous to the Flyers drafting Carter, will the Flyers Organization sue Hockey Canada for loss of revenue?    Not sure they can get a draft pick in compensation as the NHL wasn't involved.