Hart on leave…

2 hours ago, hmc687 said:

Again, my issue is with how much time has passed.  It comes off like a cash-grab, big time.

My understanding is that the delay is attributable to a badly conducted local police investigation that was essentially trashed by the provincial authorities.  Whether justice delayed is justice denied remains to be seen.  

• Like 3

You'd figure Hockey Canada would have learned their lessons after Graham James. 

On the flip side, hockey in Canada is incredibly scummy. The amount of sexual deviancy is something else. Go to any arena after a junior b hockey game and you see the girls lining up and the boys literally having their 'pick of the litter.' I remember in high school how the 'boys' bragged about what they did to the girls and how a lot of the teachers doled out high fives. It was horrifying.

Edited by BobbyClarkeFan16
  • Like 3
  • Uggh... 2
  • Sad 1

37 minutes ago, radoran said:

This has been under investigation for years.

Hockey Canada settled two years ago.

The sexual assault in 2018 has been a known issue for years.

These are criminal charges and have nothing to do with whether the players have money.

I'm not familiar w Canadian law.  It is almost ALWAYS the case in the U.S. that criminal charges are filed well before personal settlements.  Its strange seeing it done differently.

9 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

My understanding is that the delay is attributable to a badly conducted local police investigation that was essentially trashed by the provincial authorities.  Whether justice delayed is justice denied remains to be seen.  

There's a long and established history of the police helping the players out of these situations:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1cqURgg1eslU9Ky7NOUHlvM0PJ5rVX-FHZuacYBUL77o/edit#gid=821481613

• Sad 2

13 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

February 5 is the expected date for charges and a press conference by London Police.

they need two weeks to figure out what to say about charges it took them five years to come up with?

whos the chief up there, Chuck Fletcher?

why do I hear "yakity sax" in the background? :dizzysmiley-1:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

34 minutes ago, CoachX said:

they need two weeks to figure out what to say about charges it took them five years to come up with?

whos the chief up there, Chuck Fletcher?

why do I hear "yakity sax" in the background? :dizzysmiley-1:

Pretty sure that everyone is getting time to dot i's and cross t's. The London Police screwed this investigation up initially, so I fully expect that they don't want anything to go wrong this time around. 

Having lived in London and having seen their work first hand dealing with Jacob Hoggard (look up what that creep did), I can understand why they're going to take their time on this. 

I'm also fairly certain that the defense attorneys are going to have a field day with the evidence here and with the six years of open, closed and reopen investigation, this is not only going to get ugly, but it's going to show just how incompetent one group is and how the lawyers are going to be front and center of everything.

• Like 2
  • Good Post 1

2 hours ago, hmc687 said:

I'm not familiar w Canadian law.  It is almost ALWAYS the case in the U.S. that criminal charges are filed well before personal settlements.  Its strange seeing it done differently.

I *think* the settlement was with Hockey Canada, not the players.  Could be wrong, but that's the impression I'm getting.  So, two separate things about the same situation.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, aziz said:

I *think* the settlement was with Hockey Canada, not the players

You are correct .... I did some research on the matter.  Settlement was with Hockey Canada only.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, aziz said:

I *think* the settlement was with Hockey Canada, not the players.  Could be wrong, but that's the impression I'm getting.  So, two separate things about the same situation.

Yes, this was it. There have been so many women who have come forward with rape accusations, that Hockey Canada had multiple funds setup to make these situations go away without public scrutiny. Things came to a head a little over a year ago, and pretty much everybody in a position of power there is gone, and only after every major corporate sponsor withdrew funds.

Just a few of the many:

https://www.tsn.ca/canadian-tire-permanently-ends-partnership-with-hockey-canada-1.1858583

https://www.tsn.ca/scott-smith-hockey-canada-board-of-directors-stepping-down-1.1860721

https://www.tsn.ca/rick-westhead-nike-suspends-relationship-with-hockey-canada-1.1859237

I should be more specific: Hockey Canada had a pool of $17M called the National Equity Fund, which was created with stated purpose of providing insurance to players at national tournaments. Instead, a transfer of $10.25M was directed from the NEF towards another account, and was used to settle the numerous sexual assaults which happened at these events.

Later, it was determined that at least another $7M was directed towards a third (!) account to further settle assaults.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/hockey-canada-transfered-millions-out-of-controversial-fund-1.6624089

Edited by JR Ewing
  • Like 1
  • Good Post 1

5 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

This is important context and also a matter of public record, in case people are wondering. It's not necessarily well known outside of Canada. 

I mean let's be honest with ourselves here, especially those of us who played junior hockey. Boys will be boys and all but the culture is *rife* with behavior that crosses moral and legal lines and has been for a long time. This is a reckoning moment, both for these young men and for Hockey Canada.

Yup. This is a culture problem, and it goes much farther than some bad apples.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

This is important context and also a matter of public record, in case people are wondering. It's not necessarily well known outside of Canada. 

I mean let's be honest with ourselves here, especially those of us who played junior hockey. Boys will be boys and all but the culture is *rife* with behavior that crosses moral and legal lines and has been for a long time. This is a reckoning moment, both for these young men and for Hockey Canada.

And it's all throughout hockey in Canada. It's just a toxic environment that has been allowed to fester for years. 

As previously mentioned, you'd figure that Hockey Canada would have started the clean up process after Graham James, but they brought in people who talked a good game and continued burying all the horrible stuff that was going on behind the scenes.

And it's important that it's not only hockey players that have had issues. Executives also had issues and buried things. I'm ashamed that a good hockey guy like Dave King was actually one of the scumbags that buried things.

My hope is that a forensic and thorough investigation of Hockey Canada, it's executives, players, programs, etc....is done. I could go on and on about hockey, especially hockey in small town Ontario. The stories are horrific.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I'm ashamed that a good hockey guy like Dave King was actually one of the scumbags that buried things.

Agreed. Stains his whole career in hockey, which is like his entire adult life.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Digityman said:

So, here's a question.   Let's say Carter is found guilty and (I admit I don't know the whole story) Hockey Canada is thought to have to have tried to cover this up previous to the Flyers drafting Carter, will the Flyers Organization sue Hockey Canada for loss of revenue?    Not sure they can get a draft pick in compensation as the NHL wasn't involved.

image.jpeg.f51185621f561d139221e30bef02b504.jpeg

9 minutes ago, Cheesesteak said:

image.jpeg.f51185621f561d139221e30bef02b504.jpeg

Sure, fair.

But I also reserve the right to blame Lindros who, last I checked, is Canadian. He's probably from London! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Podein25 said:

Sure, fair.

But I also reserve the right to blame Lindros who, last I checked, is Canadian. He's probably from London! 

And he has questionable ethics when it comes to women……allegedly 

1 minute ago, CoachX said:

And he has questionable ethics when it comes to women……allegedly 

You mean like sleeping with Brindy's wife? Or was it the other way around?

Which red-blooded men among us can claim to be pure as the driven snow on these matters? Not me, but in fairness to me, sheep have been the most transgressed, ahem.

14 minutes ago, Cheesesteak said:

we already know he looks good in orange :NinjaLookLeftRight1:

I shouldn’t laugh because this is is no laughing matter….. but that is funny.

• Like 1
  • Uggh... 1

8 hours ago, Digityman said:

So, here's a question.   Let's say Carter is found guilty and (I admit I don't know the whole story) Hockey Canada is thought to have to have tried to cover this up previous to the Flyers drafting Carter, will the Flyers Organization sue Hockey Canada for loss of revenue?    Not sure they can get a draft pick in compensation as the NHL wasn't involved.

Interesting question. Probably? I will ask my lawyer girlfriend. 

But let's say the answer is yes they could sue HC for damages. They'd get like 12 bucks, some Tim's donuts, and a case of beer.