Flyers 2023-24 Trade deadline moves/predictions

1 hour ago, ctid said:

Will be pissed off if Frost gets traded. He's going to have a true breakout season next year I believe. I wouldn't be surprised to see 55-65 points. If they want to trade him, then wait one more year please.

I doubt they’ll trade Frost this year unless the return….etc.

Next season should be his last with the Flyers unless it is a 60+ season. As well as he’s playing now he has to start (and then continue) scoring. More games like he played vs the Jets recently a goal + an assist. 

If he keeps playing the same way he’ll start scoring I’m sure. 

Frost is a tough one. For me, the whole deal is the Cup. Not sure Frost has big game big boy hockey in him. That's the big question for Danny B on all his deals. 

I used to think a solid veteran presence was a thing. It was when I was 20, which was 40 years ago. Not sure it's a thing with this generation of young men. I actually agree with Torts on this. These young guys today are stupid and entitled. They have been mostly one-dimensional humans ever since they started showing great prowess and potential as hockey players. Therefore, I am listening to offers on every player in the organization not named Michkov.

This amazing entertaining over achieving season hasn't moved the dial at all for me on the direction I hope they are heading. I do tip my hat to everyone connected to the Flyers, they have definitely created an atmosphere of accountability to each other.

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, flyer4ever said:

Not sure Frost has big game big boy hockey in him.

if you’ve seen the Flyers since the break you can’t help but notice Frost driving play. To answer what I agree is a valid question, whether his game will stand up in the playoffs, the answer has to be “yes” provided he continues to drive play through the middle of the ice and keeps scrapping for loose pucks around the crease. 

I also agree 

58 minutes ago, flyer4ever said:

Frost is a tough one.

7 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

I'd keep him around.

With the Flyer's lack of center depth options they really don't have much choice I say.

There were a few guys they were trying at center on the Phantoms Eliotte Desnoyers comes to mind off the top of my head but having heard much of his progress.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, flyer4ever said:

This amazing entertaining over achieving season hasn't moved the dial at all for me on the direction I hope they are heading.

Thank goodness it hasn’t moved Keith Jones or Danny Briere either. Unless they’re lying (Tortorella too) they’re under no illusion the Flyers are anywhere close to a legit Cup contender. 

If you have a few minutes watch the video @JR Ewing posted - I think it’s in the Flyers section- Jones is interviewed and he is very reassuring regarding the direction the Flyers are heading..

edit: here ‘tis. Hearing him say they’re trying to build a team “to win the Cup” I thought jeez when was the last time a Flyers’ Prez/GM said that? Ever? 

Edited by GratefulFlyers

Anyone come to mind who rose above the odds? I’m guessing there’s some but I can’t think of any. Late-round picks who became incredible NHLers yes but guys who 

3 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

hasn't been able to produce much by 21

not so much….in fact none. But I’ve never been very familiar or knowledgeable of the guys in Juniors and college hockey. Anyway just curious….not a challenge (in case it sounded like one lol).

6 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Anyone come to mind who rose above the odds? I’m guessing there’s some but I can’t think of any. Late-round picks who became incredible NHLers yes but guys who 

not so much….in fact none. But I’ve never been very familiar or knowledgeable of the guys in Juniors and college hockey. Anyway just curious….not a challenge (in case it sounded like one lol).

In the NHL right now, there's not a lot that pop into my head. Mark Giordano, who didn't establish himself until his mid-20s. He's a defenseman, though, so that can change things. Tage Thompson. He has incredible size but never really produced much until he exploded for 68 pts in 78 games when he was 24. Even in Thompson's case, though, he was a 1st round pick, so scouts saw promise.

• Thanks 1

Tage Thompson wow that’s surprising considering the 2 monster seasons the past couple years. But I see his stats from college and the A, not a lot there… I guess the Blues scouts saw something they liked a lot…26th overall ain’t bad! Looking forward to see how he fares in the POs …. one of these years…(sorry Sabres’ fans…it was looking good for a bit…)

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Tage Thompson wow that’s surprising considering the 2 monster seasons the past couple years. But I see his stats from college and the A, not a lot there… I guess the Blues scouts saw something they liked a lot…26th overall ain’t bad! Looking forward to see how he fares in the POs …. one of these years…(sorry Sabres’ fans…it was looking good for a bit…)

Huge guys who can skate always get the benefit of the doubt.

• Good Post 1

Was reading the other day that Winnipeg is in on Walker and Seeler. Didn't see what the return would be, but I have to think that with no first round pick, it's going to start with a high level prospect like Chibrikov, Lucius or Lambert (there's less than zero chance that McGroarty is moved). 

21 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

With the Flyer's lack of center depth options they really don't have much choice I say.

There were a few guys they were trying at center on the Phantoms Eliotte Desnoyers comes to mind off the top of my head but having heard much of his progress.

I can’t see us trading our only young skilled center for anything other than another young skilled center. I know they offered Frost to Ottawa for Pinto, I have never seen him play so I have no idea if that’s a good trade or not. One thing I see is Frost has great playmaking and puck skills ,which this team severely lacks. In the end it’s all about producing points, but I would like to see Frost stick around for another year and see how it goes. Initially I was envisioning a line of Frost with two snipers ,Tippett and Gauthier . I figured his numbers had to increase  big time two big wingers  who can create some space for who can really shoot the puck.  Since Gauthier is gone, there goes that idea.

7 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

Since Gauthier is gone, there goes that idea.

I guess the idea is still sound though. Frost with a sniper on each wing could be deadly. I hope it works out that way. There’s snipers to be had when the time comes but Frost is still the question mark. He’s been answering the bell for nearly a month now…the points will come.

Frost deserves the chance to win a roster spot and if it takes until next year’s TD I imagine the Flyers are okay with that.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

I guess the idea is still sound though. Frost with a sniper on each wing could be deadly. I hope it works out that way. There’s snipers to be had when the time comes but Frost is still the question mark. He’s been answering the bell for nearly a month now…the points will come.

Frost deserves the chance to win a roster spot and if it takes until next year’s TD I imagine the Flyers are okay with that.

I liked the thought of two big wingers giving Frost lots of room to operate. Foerester has some size and plays the off wing,so maybe we can put him there. I still think we could use another skilled LW with some size and skating ability. 

Risto's injury kinda gums up the works here.

I'm still selling. But, 55 not being tradeable makes the line to walk more difficult.  

Walker can bring a prospect,  Same with Laughton. Stahl ... a pow for Lehigh Valley.

Atkinson isn't going anywhere.  I seriously consider paying him to not play for me anymore. 

Seeler? He is an NHL player, are Attard or Andrae?  Trade Nick to find out.... If the price is right he's a goner, but I don't see teams parting with a high pick for him. Maybe a change of scenery prospect?

Nick does whatever and I think he's a great example for younger players to learn from.

Someone facetiously asked if the Rangers would part with some of their struggling youth for Laughton. The Kakkos and Lafrernriers haven't been contributing a whole lot on that team. They aren't getting caved - but it's Bread, Krieder and the vets doing the heavy lifting. 

Laughton could really shore up that bottom 6. I doubt it happens but...weird **** can happen if the Rangers see the window closing. 

• Like 1

On 2/18/2024 at 10:15 AM, mojo1917 said:

Yes and no. They can look into trading that guy at the draft or in the offseason.

Right now they should be moving the UFAs out if no one else.

That would be Walker and Seeler and now have been the time to start bringing up some kids in the meantime to audition on the defense before all this went down they had an extra spot in the line up they could have done this with but they have chose to leave it blank some times even going with 22 skaters.

So they just need to move the UFAs playoffs be damn call guys up to replace them.

And then Danny Jones is more likely going to have to package both picks in the 1st round to maybe move up and draft a Berkely Catton some mocks have then needing to get all the way up to the 6th pick to do that.

Not sure both their 1st picks can even do that but that is when you can weaponize your cap space to help a team out in need maybe.

But like many of us said they going to have to get creative in order to do this.

• Like 2

On 2/18/2024 at 10:15 AM, mojo1917 said:

I'm still selling. But, 55 not being tradeable makes the line to walk more difficult.  

Walker can bring a prospect,  Same with Laughton. Stahl ... a pow for Lehigh Valley.

Atkinson isn't going anywhere.  I seriously consider paying him to not play for me anymore. 

Seeler? He is an NHL player, are Attard or Andrae?  Trade Nick to find out.... If the price is right he's a goner, but I don't see teams parting with a high pick for him. Maybe a change of scenery prospect?

Nick does whatever and I think he's a great example for younger players to learn from.

Someone facetiously asked if the Rangers would part with some of their struggling youth for Laughton. The Kakkos and Lafrernriers haven't been contributing a whole lot on that team. They aren't getting caved - but it's Bread, Krieder and the vets doing the heavy lifting. 

Laughton could really shore up that bottom 6. I doubt it happens but...weird **** can happen if the Rangers see the window closing. 

My dedication to these Flyers that must be answered....

...who are you???

Enjoy

3 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

They just going to run it back next year...

:joe:

I would like to present this as a counter point.

Wouldn't it make sense to know what kind of contract Seeler would be looking for in this situation?

Also, might it give Danny some leverage in negotiating with other GMs to be able to say a ) we like Nick, so can you do better with that offer? Or b ) If you ,other GM, like him here's what it might cost you down the line to resign him.

Until things happen I'm not going to get too flapped up by worrying about things that may be able to be explained as Danny exercising due diligence. 

These guys would not keep saying to the public they know the team isn't there yet if they didn't know it to be true.

All of them, Fonzie, Jonesy, Danny and, Hilferty are saying the cake isn't baked....but Stankoven might be hi- yo!... yet.

I believe them until they show me I can't. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Plus Seeler has been extremely valuable to the Flyers' rebuild so far. I still think trading him is the best move but if he gets a 2-year extension it's not the end of the world or the end of the rebuild.

Maybe if the Flyers had a D-man in Lehigh who was knocking down the door...

Or if Seeler was likely to suck after signing an extension...

Or if the Flyers were in Year 3 instead of Year 1 ...

...I wouldn't extend Seeler. But as it is he'll probably maintain his value thru next year. It is a risk though, esp the way he plays.

Edited by GratefulFlyers

40 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Or if the Flyers were in Year 3 instead of Year 1 ...

The Flyers are in year 48 of trying to build a winner. I think it's about time they tried it without the just make the playoffs and anything can happen formula.

Having a crapload of draft picks give us a better chance of landing a gem after the 1st round.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

I think it's about time they tried it without the just make the playoffs and anything can happen formula.

Too late for that lil buddy it's happening in you watching it unfold right as we speak.

They are going to run it back next year so just sit back relax and enjoy the plummet!

They keeping everyone...

:beer: 

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

I think it's about time they tried it without the just make the playoffs and anything can happen formula.

I agree. That's why I'm so happy with the Flyers these days. They're clearly not pursuing "just make the POs." I don't understand why that's so hard to admit. Pretending Jones/Briere are just doing the same old story / same old song and dance ... is kind of silly imho.

I understand and appreciate that you don't like the way they're rebuilding. I respect a difference of opinion on the direction, especially from someone who knows the game well. But if there's no magic formula for building a Cup-winner (and there isn't), what's so terrible about something less than a complete tear-down? Questioning the direction is one thing; acting like nothing's changed is quite another, don't you think?

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

Having a crapload of draft picks give us a better chance of landing a gem after the 1st round.

True but everything is a balance. You may disagree but there's enormous value to the team if they get to play some PO hockey this spring. They shouldn't (and they won't) sacrifice long-term goals but the Flyers' brass understand it's Year One and overachieving is a Good Thing not a bad thing.

Edited by GratefulFlyers

25 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

They're clearly not pursuing "just make the POs."

Please explain what gives you this idea or feeling I have seen nothing of the such in fact just the opposite but please the floor is yours.