Flyers 2023-24 Trade deadline moves/predictions

1 hour ago, GratefulFlyers said:

I agree. That's why I'm so happy with the Flyers these days. They're clearly not pursuing "just make the POs." I don't understand why that's so hard to admit. Pretending Jones/Briere are just doing the same old story / same old song and dance ... is kind of silly imho.

If they don't sell, it's because they're trying to make the playoffs. At least that's the way I see it. Sitting on the fence, as a borderline playoff team, isn't going to bring you a cup. 

I understand and appreciate that you don't like the way they're rebuilding. I respect a difference of opinion on the direction, especially from someone who knows the game well. But if there's no magic formula for building a Cup-winner (and there isn't), what's so terrible about something less than a complete tear-down? Questioning the direction is one thing; acting like nothing's changed is quite another, don't you think?

Drafting Michkov was a change. To me it was a no-brainer. But other than that, so far it's been pretty much same old. 

True but everything is a balance. You may disagree but there's enormous value to the team if they get to play some PO hockey this spring. They shouldn't (and they won't) sacrifice long-term goals but the Flyers' brass understand it's Year One and overachieving is a Good Thing not a bad thing.

We've seen this team make the playoffs, then not make them, then make them, then not make them. It's not like they build any carry over momentum. They need more skill more than they need 4 or 5 and out playoff games. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

Please explain what gives you this idea or feeling I have seen nothing of the such in fact just the opposite but please the floor is yours.

They haven't done anything "to make the playoffs" aside from playing hockey.

Hard to get mad at hockey players for that.

That they are NOT fire sale stripping to the studs is true. Whether that would actually work is debatable.

I want to see what they do at the deadline and off-season. That will inform my opinion greatly.

• Like 3

Just now, radoran said:

They haven't done anything "to make the playoffs" aside from playing hockey.

Hard to get mad at hockey players for that.

That they are NOT fire sale stripping to the studs is true. Whether that would actually work is debatable.

I want to see what they do at the deadline and off-season. That will inform my opinion greatly.

All that and still not answer the question.

Good work.

6 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

If they don't sell, it's because they're trying to make the playoffs. At least that's the way I see it. Sitting on the fence, as a borderline playoff team, isn't going to bring you a cup.

The leadership team has repeatedly said this very thing often and recently 

7 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Drafting Michkov was a change. To me it was a no-brainer. But other than that, so far it's been pretty much same old.

Define what you mean.

What's the same old because I'm not seeing it yet. 

1 minute ago, mojo1917 said:

Define what you mean.

What's different?  The team plays hard?

Reasonable minds can differ on trading Konecny.  I happen to believe the team is still woefully devoid of Stanley Cup talent and he is their biggest chip to trade.

Not trading Seeler and Walker would be a fireable offense.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, SCFlyguy said:

I can't wait for the Flyers to put all that valuable experience they gain in a first round loss this year into missing the playoffs next year.

I think like the Kings, if the Flyers continue to rebuild they may step back and miss the playoffs next year. If I remember how that went correctly the Kings made the playoffs and were everyone's rebuild darlings then **** the bed for a year or two before really getting it together. 

I can see a scenario like that playing out here. It might mean the Flyers are ready to compete for real in 25-26 or maybe a year later.

We'll see what happens in the near future, the deadline and moves around the draft will shed light on what we can look forward to.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, SCFlyguy said:

What's different?  The team plays hard?

Well yeah, that's a start.

They have rid themselves of aging vets and malcontents and that is something that hasn't happened for a minute.

This is the first trade deadline for this leadership group, we'll see what they do you know?

Talking to a player's agent about what it would take to extend the player shouldn't be viewed as prelude to an unavoidable disaster. 

I think we haven't seen competent management since Homer's bike accident and none of us remember what it looks like. I think knowing what it will take to resign a guy in case another guy can be traded is good preparation.

10 minutes ago, SCFlyguy said:

Not trading Seeler and Walker would be a fireable offense

I think at least one of these guys should be out the door this trade deadline. Along with Mark Staal

I think the Ristolainen situation makes dealing with the two UFAs little more delicate.

If there is interest in Risto and he can be moved, it wouldn't be the worst thing to have a dude like Seeler to play as the #7 or if Seeler is moved to use the Risto money to sign Walker for a few years so the team can get to Oliver Bonk and Emil Andrae without having to rush them.

15 minutes ago, SCFlyguy said:

Reasonable minds can differ on trading Konecny.  I happen to believe the team is still woefully devoid of Stanley Cup talent and he is their biggest chip to trade.

I could get on board with a Konecny trade, but it would have to be for a true stud and not golden tickets to buy magic beans.

His age and the way he plays makes this a tougher choice for me. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

Please explain what gives you this idea or feeling I have seen nothing of the such in fact just the opposite but please the floor is yours.

Just all of the decision makers saying they know the team isn't a cup contender.

Like I said somewhere else earlier, until they show themselves to be bald faced liars, I'm going to take them at their word.

Not one of these dudes has hedged on needing more skilled players, not one. They have said the Drysdale deal changes priorities for the kinds of players they're seeking. 

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

The leadership team has repeatedly said this very thing often and recently 

Define what you mean.

The same old is what management has done, or should I say not done. I get it, the trade deadline hasn't gone yet, but now we're hearing rumblings of sticking with the squad through next year. The squad that is, as usual, maybe a playoff team. Not a threat to win a cup, not a threat to draft a star. 

That would be the same old, would it not?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

but now we're hearing rumblings of sticking with the squad through next year.

but really is this what we're hearing from people with the power to make the decisions or is it speculation by "insiders"?

Jonesy has been giving interviews locally and nationally the last 2 weeks and he's saying "we need more skilled players". 

Fonzie has said he's spoken with likely trade candidates to let them know they may be moving. Fonzie says he likes this team but he knows they need more skill guys. 

Danny has been quiet but the last time he was quiet the team traded a malcontent potential top 6 forward for a potential top 4 defenseman.

I'm more inclined to listen what those dudes are saying than I am say hockey rumours 404 dot com's take.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

but really is this what we're hearing from people with the power to make the decisions or is it speculation by "insiders"?

Fair enough. I'll wait until the deadline comes and goes. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

I agree. That's why I'm so happy with the Flyers these days. They're clearly not pursuing "just make the POs." I don't understand why that's so hard to admit. Pretending Jones/Briere are just doing the same old story / same old song and dance ... is kind of silly imho.

I understand and appreciate that you don't like the way they're rebuilding. I respect a difference of opinion on the direction, especially from someone who knows the game well. But if there's no magic formula for building a Cup-winner (and there isn't), what's so terrible about something less than a complete tear-down? Questioning the direction is one thing; acting like nothing's changed is quite another, don't you think?

True but everything is a balance. You may disagree but there's enormous value to the team if they get to play some PO hockey this spring. They shouldn't (and they won't) sacrifice long-term goals but the Flyers' brass understand it's Year One and overachieving is a Good Thing not a bad thing.

I've recently read the Flyers are busy negotiating a new deal for Seeler. I'm quite happy with this development. Its the perfect way to stay competitive this year without sacrificing the rebuild. 

1)Seeler will come cheap and I'm sure it will be a 1 or 2 year deal...totally acceptable. 

2)They keep a key defensive piece that plays blood and guts Flyers hockey. 

3)He realistically would have netted a 3rd...maybe a 2nd..more valuable to just keep him. 

4)Assuming they move Walker having Seeler stay means the Defense won't take a crushing blow. 

5)Its a great story and shows other FAs that hard work in the Flyers org gets rewarded. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

If they don't sell, it's because they're trying to make the playoffs. At least that's the way I see it.

Sure but it all depends on what we mean by “sell.” Do they need to trade every player over the age of 27 (everyone who can be traded)? Or say they don’t trade Konecny, does that mean they’re not serious about rebuilding? 

re: same old Flyers…

I don’t know if you just missed every interview or what, but Jones/Briere/Tortorella have specifically said they’ve abandoned the “just make the POs” approach. They’ve reiterated their commitment to doing things differently than the previous managers, again specifically citing they won’t

sacrifice the future or derail long-term goals just to make a PO run. They’ve said they’re trying to build a team that can win the Cup and be a perennial Cup contender, what we generally call an “elite” NHL team.

I don’t how they can make themselves any more clear. I’m satisfied they’re on the right track. At least now they’re finally on one that may produce a Stanley Cup champion. 

• Like 3

I don't like the idea of re-signing Seeler. The Flyers need to know what they have in Adam Ginning. As a former second round pick, we need to see if he can fill the Seeler role at the very least. This much we know about Ginning. The man can skate. The man is physical and he's got a bit of a mean disposition. If Seeler can net a third, that works.

I'm also onboard with moving Walker. He was a great throw in to the Provorov trade. It's time to maximize that asset and get something really good for the future. 

I don't think moving those two is throwing in the towel either. There are players in the AHL that the Flyers need to see what they have. I'm good with the following pairings if the above moves happen:

York - Drysdale

Ginning - Sanheim

Zamula - Attard

*****Ristolainen <- using him as 7 gives him a chance to heal up a bit after his recent upper body surgery.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

If Seeler can net a third, that works.

Seeler has led the NHL all year, or been in the top 3, in shot blocking. If that’s the only offer I’d pass Seeler is way more valuable to the Flyers than a 3Rer. Not for the PO race, though it would be great experience for the team. But if all Briere gets is a third he got robbed. 

Edited by GratefulFlyers

2 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Sure but it all depends on what we mean by “sell.” Do they need to trade every player over the age of 27 (everyone who can be traded)? Or say they don’t trade Konecny, does that mean they’re not serious about rebuilding? 

re: same old Flyers…

I don’t know if you just missed every interview or what, but Jones/Briere/Tortorella have specifically said they’ve abandoned the “just make the POs” approach. They’ve reiterated their commitment to doing things differently than the previous managers, again specifically citing they won’t

sacrifice the future or derail long-term goals just to make a PO run. They’ve said they’re trying to build a team that can win the Cup and be a perennial Cup contender, what we generally call an “elite” NHL team.

I don’t how they can make themselves any more clear. I’m satisfied they’re on the right track. At least now they’re finally on one that may produce a Stanley Cup champion. 

Talk is cheap.  The Flyers are the President's Trophy of talkers.

1 hour ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I don't like the idea of re-signing Seeler. The Flyers need to know what they have in Adam Ginning. As a former second round pick, we need to see if he can fill the Seeler role at the very least. This much we know about Ginning. The man can skate. The man is physical and he's got a bit of a mean disposition. If Seeler can net a third, that works.

I'm also onboard with moving Walker. He was a great throw in to the Provorov trade. It's time to maximize that asset and get something really good for the future. 

I don't think moving those two is throwing in the towel either. There are players in the AHL that the Flyers need to see what they have. I'm good with the following pairings if the above moves happen:

York - Drysdale

Ginning - Sanheim

Zamula - Attard

*****Ristolainen <- using him as 7 gives him a chance to heal up a bit after his recent upper body surgery.

The D looks ok...passable on paper, but there is something to be said for continuity. A big reason for their success is how the defensive partners play to each others strengths. I dont hold out hope for a long sustained playoff run, but at the same time, it would be a shame for the season to turn into a **** show. 

Seeler is way more valuable than a 3rd. I think Seeler-Zamula might make a nice pairing should Walker get the boot (90% chance). Im thinking a 2 year deal for 2 mill a year would work for both parties. No long term investment and you know exactly what your 2 mill is buying. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Too late for that lil buddy it's happening in you watching it unfold right as we speak.

They are going to run it back next year so just sit back relax and enjoy the plummet!

They keeping everyone...

:beer: 

:bonkingheadonwall:

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

I think like the Kings, if the Flyers continue to rebuild they may step back and miss the playoffs next year. If I remember how that went correctly the Kings made the playoffs and were everyone's rebuild darlings then **** the bed for a year or two before really getting it together. 

I can see a scenario like that playing out here. It might mean the Flyers are ready to compete for real in 25-26 or maybe a year later.

We'll see what happens in the near future, the deadline and moves around the draft will shed light on what we can look forward to.

The main driving force behind the Kings 2 Cup wins was certainly Quick playing out of his mind. Either Errson makes a gigantic leap forward (possible) or another Goalie steps to the forefront. This coming draft is vital after the Gauthier crap and Michkov uncertainty....they HAVE to nail this LARGE. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jammer2 said:

.they HAVE to nail this LARGE. 

Well, right now we're picking around 21st and 31st. Should be plenty of superstars left there. 🙄

You can find star players there, but it's unlikely. That, combined with 4 games of playoff experience should be enough to put this team over the top going forward. 😉

• Like 1