Sources confirm NHL players facing charges in sexual assault investigation

JR Ewing

Four National Hockey League players – Carter Hart, Michael McLeod, Dillon Dube, and Cal Foote – have been directed to surrender to police in London, Ont., to be charged with sexual assault in connection with an alleged incident that occurred during a Hockey Canada event in the city in June 2018, two sources familiar with the matter told TSN.

The players are expected to surrender before the London Police Service holds a press conference on Monday to update the public on the high-profile case.

Lawyers for the four players either declined to comment or did not respond to a request for comment.

The Globe and Mail reported on Jan. 24 that London police have instructed five members of Canada’s 2018 World Junior team to surrender to be charged with sexual assault. Former Ottawa Senators player Alex Formenton, who currently plays in Switzerland, reported to police on Jan. 28 to be officially charged.

Gary Ellis, the former head of Toronto Police Service’s sex crimes unit, told TSN in an interview that the players would be photographed, fingerprinted, and directed to sign an undertaking not to have contact with the alleged victim, either the first time they report to police or at a subsequent date.

The five players are accused of sexually assaulting a woman at a London hotel on June 19, 2018, following a Hockey Canada Foundation golf and gala event.

The complainant, a woman referred to as E.M. in court documents, met some of the players at a downtown bar following the event. She has alleged in a civil lawsuit that she left the bar with one man and had consensual sex with him. That man then invited other players to his room, without E.M.’s consent, to have sex with E.M., she alleged.  

None of the allegations against the players have been proven.

London police initially investigated E.M.’s allegations before closing the case in February 2019 without laying charges because the lead detective didn’t believe there was enough evidence.

In May 2022, TSN reported Hockey Canada had – without consulting any players involved in the alleged incident – quietly settled a $3.55-million lawsuit brought by E.M. against Hockey Canada, the Canadian Hockey League and eight unnamed players in connection to the alleged attack. The story led to parliamentary hearings and a maelstrom of public backlash. The NHL and Hockey Canada commissioned investigations and the London police in July 2022 said they would re-open their investigation.

In October 2022, London police filed a 94-page document in court requesting authorization to seek various court orders. In the filing, which was first reported by The Globe, a London police officer wrote that he believed there were reasonable grounds to believe that five members of the 2018 World Junior team had committed sexual assault in connection to the hotel incident.

The four players who have yet to report to police are all 25 years old and have all taken leaves of absence from their NHL teams.

Hart, a goalie with the Philadelphia Flyers, is playing in his sixth NHL season and in his final year of a three-year, $11.9 million contract.

Dube, a centre with the Calgary Flames, is in his sixth NHL season and is in the final year of a three-year contract worth an average of $2.3 million.

McLeod, a centre with the New Jersey Devils, is in his sixth NHL season. He signed a one-year, $1.4 million contract in July 2023.

Foote, whose father is former NHL defenceman Adam Foote, has played in four games with the Devils this season and also has played in the American Hockey League. He signed a one-year, $800,000 contract in August.

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/sources-confirm-nhl-players-facing-charges-in-sexual-assault-investigation-1.2069570

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

from various reports too many to list here Carter Hart has played his last game in Philly regardless of the out come.

They're likely all finished as players. They could maybe play in the KHL if they escape conviction, but their futures in hockey are pretty much done.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, JR Ewing said:

They're likely all finished as players. They could maybe play in the KHL if they escape conviction, but their futures in hockey are pretty much done.

Not according to some (one) in this forum :NinjaLookLeftRight1:

• Haha 1
  • Uggh... 1

1 hour ago, CoachX said:

Not according to some (one) in this forum :NinjaLookLeftRight1:

Something about a cart and a horse?🤔

So 4 players “stiffed” her on payment? 😳

This thing is going to be a blivot…..10 lbs of crap in a 5 lb bag. Another example of the Duke Lacrosse team I hope it is not.

32 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

This whole thing simply sucks

And the fact the poor child was 16 at the times just makes my blood boil.

As a father of a 12 year old boy crazy daughter right now you guys will just have to excuse me i can't converse on this matter to much.

All i hope is that justice is served at it's fullest!

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

As a father of a 12 year old boy crazy daughter right now you guys will just have to excuse me i can't converse on this matter to much.

I think we all agree on that. 

26 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

who are you referring to that was 16 at the time? In this case all were of age.

3 minutes ago, Molly Bell said:

who are you referring to that was 16 at the time?

Hockey News reported the girl was 16 at the time of this happening.

https://thehockeynews.com/nhl/philadelphia-flyers/news/carter-hart-to-be-charged-in-sexual-assault-case

Edited by OccamsRazor

36 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Hockey News reported the girl was 16 at the time of this happening.

https://thehockeynews.com/nhl/philadelphia-flyers/news/carter-hart-to-be-charged-in-sexual-assault-case

That reporting runs contrary to literally every other article I've read, which indicated that E.M. was 20 years old.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Math said:

I don't buy this at all. It's impossible that the Flames were not aware of that.

Look at what the statement says.

"At the time"

The news hadn't come out. I'd imagine the lawyers were alerted - much as I believe this is why Hart's social media was deleted over the summer.

But, also, why does it matter? Would they deny his leave?

The NHLPA wouldn't allow the contract to be voided without a conviction.

The whole 2018 team has had a cloud over them until it focused on these five. If they knew nothing about that, then they're irresponsible fools who should have no bit of control over a professional Hockey franchise at any level.

Edited by radoran
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, radoran said:

"At the time"

The news hadn't come out. I'd imagine the lawyers were alerted - much as I believe this is why Hart's social media was deleted over the summer.

The whole 2018 team has had a cloud over them until it focused on these five. If they knew nothing about that, then they're irresponsible fools who should have no but of control over a professional Hockey franchise at any level.

It seems pretty obvious to me that everybody scrambling at this point just to cover their asses

i’m also of the opinion that they think they had this thing bottled up however when the case was reopened the **** royally hit the fan

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

That reporting runs contrary to literally every other article I've read, which indicated that E.M. was 20 years old.

None of them would have been able to legally be in that bar unless 19 or older. Also, if she were a minor at the time, THAT WOULD MAKE THIS EVEN WORSE, if that’s even possible! 

Edited by Molly Bell
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, radoran said:

"At the time"

The whole 2018 team has had a cloud over them until it focused on these five. If they knew nothing about that, then they're irresponsible fools who should have no bit of control over a professional Hockey franchise at any level.

This statement is rubbish. The Flames absolutely knew he was part of the 2018 World Junior Team and charges were likely. Their first press release indicates Dube was “under doctor’s care for mental health issues.” If a player has a health issue and is requesting a leave of absence surely a doctor’s note would be necessary. Clearly that was a lie. Now they insinuate Dube was lying? Last, there iare zero apologies here for referencing mental health as the excuse used. What a slap in the face to people who truly suffer from mental illness. 

• Like 2

I mean, there's no smoke without fire. The case is known since 2018 and a financial agreement was found with Hockey Canada just a bit later to hide the dust under the rug. There must have been some sort of non publication order but the players involved were already targeted.

Formenton was a good prospect in the Sens organization, someone that could have been like Pinto or Greig let's say. And all of a sudden, he literally ran away in the Switzerland butthole. Went there several times in this deep valley with almost no sunshine in winter, you have to be strong to not turn into Jack Torrance. In 2022, his team was already severly criticized when they decided to sign him knowing what was pending above his head, and all this finally backfired straight in his face.

So either the Flames were not aware of that and they are naive to say the least, or they didn't do their due diligence on that matter. Another assumption is that Dubé went with the mental health assistance program thing with the hope that no one would notice... Either way, that's definitely ridiculous and trying to extinguish a fire with a barrel of gasoline is never a good idea.

18 minutes ago, Molly Bell said:

This statement is rubbish. The Flames absolutely knew he was part of the 2018 World Junior Team and charges were likely. Their first press release indicates Dube was “under doctor’s care for mental health issues.” If a player has a health issue and is requesting a leave of absence surely a doctor’s note would be necessary. Clearly that was a lie. Now they insinuate Dube was lying? Last, there iare zero apologies here for referencing mental health as the excuse used. What a slap in the face to people who truly suffer from mental illness. 

I can believe he said he needed a leave for mental health reasons.

He can't have been in a good state of mind.

I can see where Calgary wants the distance provided by that request, leaving much deliberately unsaid.

All about potential litigation. Who knew what when.

Yes, people and organizations are covering their asses in preparation for the inevitable verdict.

It's all so ****** stupid, disappointing, and enraging.

image.gif

Edited by radoran
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, CoachX said:

i’m also of the opinion that they think they had this thing bottled up however when the case was reopened the **** royally hit the fan

The Flyers drafted Hart in the 2016 draft.

They didn't draft anything to bottle up.

If anything it c/should have factored in to salary and term 🤔

It apparently affected trade marketability. 🤔

The Hart team likely knew this was a serious possibility this summer when he deleted his social media 🤔

He was erratic and distracted this season 🤔

There's a whole London PD press conference to go here...

image.gif

Edited by radoran
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

Wow 2024 and folks still can't report the truth.

Sad details like that matter.

But regardless it is still a disgusting thing to do or see and not do anything about it.

Now if this is true the trial won't begin till 2026...if that is even true.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Wow 2024 and folks still can't report the truth.

Sad details like that matter.

But regardless it is still a disgusting thing to do or see and not do anything about it.

Now if this is true the trial won't begin till 2026...if that is even true.

In my college journalism courses if you made a fact error, your grade was an F. No matter what. Our profs circled the error stopped reading, got the largest  red marker available in 1990 and drew that sucker at least 8 x 8, so when the work was returned your peers knew you had ****ed up.

It really only took one occurrence to learn the lesson.

That experience still shapes my formal writing today.

I wonder if that article's author had formal training?

• Like 4