Game 56: Philadelphia Flyers at New Jersey Devils; 2/17/24, 8 PM, ABC

32 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

Errson is not looking sharp.

I really don’t know what goal was soft, yet I agree completely that Ersson doesn’t look sharp. He’s not at his usual level of reading the play, his movement, glove hand etc. it’s all just a bit “off” tonight.

I think we’re seeing “how the team goes so goes the goaltending.” It isn’t a cause/effect thing but you know what I mean. The defensive breakdowns like you said…they’re  contagious in a way.

Edited by GratefulFlyers

9 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

Bad giveaway... repeat.

yeah pretty much the story for the Flyers tonight. Mismanaging the puck if they’re not giving it away they’re taking an undisciplined penalty … and Ersson isn’t able to bail them out the way he usually does when he has to.

Sloppy, crappy game by the Flyers. Well now it’s a 2-goal deficit (Seeler!) can they keep the Devils off the board and tie this thing? Feels like “no” tonight…haven’t felt that very often this year.

Edited by GratefulFlyers

The Devils got scoring from depth players. That doesn't happen too often from our bottom 6.Our shot total is misleading. Daws didn't see many toughies!

Edited by Howie58
  • Like 1
  • Good Post 1

1 minute ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

Have the Flyers ever won an outdoor game?  This was like the 5th or 6th they’ve played in.

They're 1-3-1. I think they beat the Penguins years ago, at Lincoln Financial Field.

2 hours ago, SCFlyguy said:

I am sure the playoffs would go differently.

No need to sell high.  We got them right where we want them.

My thoughts about this game and the loser point in Toronto echo this.

It is apparent this group isn't on the same talent level as the top tiered teams in the East. They can work hard and be miserable to play against,  and I like that, but if one facet of their game isn't "on" they're not winning. 

Need more talent and I hope to see some assets being used toward that goal soon. 

I don't know what to about Konecny.  I love that player he's a favorite...I want keep him around, but if someone wants to get stupid, I'll listen .

• Like 2
  • Good Post 1

Ps and btw

The Devils suck. 

If the Danny Jonsey get this rebuild right, that team will be 8 points a year. They've been bad for a long time and they're still not good.

Edited by mojo1917

8 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

My thoughts about this game and the loser point in Toronto echo this.

It is apparent this group isn't on the same talent level as the top tiered teams in the East. They can work hard and be miserable to play against,  and I like that, but if one facet of their game isn't "on" they're not winning. 

Need more talent and I hope to see some assets being used toward that goal soon. 

I don't know what to about Konecny.  I love that player he's a favorite...I want keep him around, but if someone wants to get stupid, I'll listen .

Great minds think alike. I was about to post the same thing. If we don't have great goaltending and tight checking/forecheckjng, it's rough sledding. We could use a Hischier. But we also need a bottom six with credible scoring. This was an important loss that reminded us of how far we need to go.

Edited by Howie58
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I don't get the impression it's going to be this season.

They are still sellers, for the very reason you outline.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

but if one facet of their game isn't "on" they're not winning. 

I don't see an "if one thing goes wrong" problem with the Flyers this year. In fact I see the opposite. Their success hasn't relied on just one line or two goal-scorers or goaltending or special teams. Their wins are always a total team effort, no?

Last year I think that was an issue. The wins early in the year were largely due to Hart playing so well - he was the Flyers' "one thing." This year I really don't see that "one facet" problem at all.

It's funny, Torts' post-gamer sounded like a guy who was upset with execution and penalties.  He even made it clear that the thinking should be on the coming game with Chicago.  Tactically, that makes sense--you put a loss behind you and move on.  But if I am Danny Briere, this game said a lot about my squad and its talent. Torts has done a great job with the clay he can mold. But we need help.  

I was also thinking about fate and the consequences of past choices.  Think back to June, 2017.  The Devils take Hischier.  And we take Nolan Patrick:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_NHL_Entry_Draft

Sorry for opening up old wounds,  But seeing Hischier on post-game interviews made me reflect on our talent shortfall.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Howie58 said:

Sorry for opening up old wounds,  But seeing Hischier on post-game interviews made me reflect on our talent shortfall.

Yep the Flyers center position sure could use a healthy Nolan Patrick right now.

Imagine if they had only hit on the hit pick centers they spent resources on.

Patrick 1st

O'brien 1st

Rubtsov 1st

Laberge 2nd

That coulda/shoulda/woulda been a good center group had they lived up to potential.

And that wasn't even counting Frost yet.

Oh Ron screwed the pooch on that one.

Maybe the best of the group is still playing in the KHL Mickhaul Vorobyov.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yep the Flyers center position sure could use a healthy Nolan Patrick right now.

Imagine if they had only hit on the hit pick centers they spent resources on.

Patrick 1st

O'brien 1st

Rubtsov 1st

Laberge 2nd

That coulda/shoulda/woulda been a good center group had they lived up to potential.

And that wasn't even counting Frost yet.

Oh Ron screwed the pooch on that one.

Maybe the best of the group is still playing in the KHL Mickhaul Vorobyov.

Dear Occ,

Yeah, the last 15 years hasn't been too kind to Flyers fans when it comes to first-rounders.  We may be turning an important corner.  But our current status reflects some serious flub-ups on the draft scene.  Reflecting on Morin and Patrick makes me sad--their cases seem tragic.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Howie58 said:

There were more than a few people who were happy to land the Canadian and not the "soft Euro" of that pair.

:hocky:

• Haha 1