Game 70: Philadelphia Flyers at Carolina Hurricanes; 3/21/24 @ 7 PM, NBCSP

2 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

es, he's getting a team to overachieve. Does that really do us good in the long run? It gets us the kind of draft picks that are never going to put us over the top...more middle 6 and bottom pairing guys. To go with the middle 6 and bottom pairing guys we have. 

I hit "Good Post" but this is a stretch. Not the "more middle 6..." part I agree with you there - but the cause. You're saying the guy who's getting this bunch to overachieve is the problem? In other words if Tortorella weren't so damn good at his job the Flyers might've sucked and gotten a better pick this year. 😁

Okay so I stretched it there myself but in essence that's what you're saying: the Flyers are badly served by a "hold 'em accountable" type coach and they'd be better off with a Bruce Boudreau teddy bear type for now.

I don't recall if he was available at the time but I wish Barry Trotz was coaching the Flyers these days. Hell I would've even taken JQ with all his bad choices (and bad PR) over Tortorella. But the point is...

the Flyers badly need an injection of pure talent and to replenish it's farm system.

Yes they do. So why is Tortorella (or any head coach) an obstruction to that? I'm not saying head coaches are innocent bystanders. And we know Tortorella shares the GM's vision because he said so. But you're well aware the GM delivers the roster. Sounds to me like your problem is with Jones and Briere.

In any case whether it's John Tortorella or Dave Tippett, Claude Julien or Mike Babcock - whoever is behind the bench, given the same roster they'll all take the team to (roughly) the same spot at the end of the season.

13 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

According to Daily Face Off - Roster in Raleigh - Couturier won't play tonight. Looks like the same lineup that went against the Leafs.

This in a nutshell is my biggest problem with it all right saves me the time of saying it...

This guy is dead on why I am concerned with it.

Otherwise got no problem with holding everyone accountable.

22 hours ago, Samifan said:

will be in attendance

Enjoy it buddy. I'm 42, been a Flyers fan since mid 90's and have never been to a Flyers game in person, let alone an actual NHL game. Hope to do it in the near future. 

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

I hit "Good Post" but this is a stretch. Not the "more middle 6..." part I agree with you there - but the cause. You're saying the guy who's getting this bunch to overachieve is the problem? In other words if Tortorella weren't so damn good at his job the Flyers might've sucked and gotten a better pick this year. 😁

Okay so I stretched it there myself but in essence that's what you're saying: the Flyers are badly served by a "hold 'em accountable" type coach and they'd be better off with a Bruce Boudreau teddy bear type for now.

I don't recall if he was available at the time but I wish Barry Trotz was coaching the Flyers these days. Hell I would've even taken JQ with all his bad choices (and bad PR) over Tortorella. But the point is...

Yes they do. So why is Tortorella (or any head coach) an obstruction to that? I'm not saying head coaches are innocent bystanders. And we know Tortorella shares the GM's vision because he said so. But you're well aware the GM delivers the roster. Sounds to me like your problem is with Jones and Briere.

In any case whether it's John Tortorella or Dave Tippett, Claude Julien or Mike Babcock - whoever is behind the bench, given the same roster they'll all take the team to (roughly) the same spot at the end of the season.

Yes, I'm saying John Tortorella is the wrong coach to have IF you're doing a rebuild.

We all know what he does...(I remember Mike Keenans days) he'll get his team to go all out for him for one or two years. Then his giant ego becomes too much and players start tuning him out, until there's basically a mutiny. He's not a guy you want for a rebuild, he's a guy you want when you're going for it. He's good at getting effort out of his players, and that's fine and dandy...unless you're lacking in enough high end talent to be a true contender, and then he just prevents you from acquiring that through the draft. And there's probably a high percentage of players (as in potential free agents, even though that's no way to build a team anymore) that just don't want to play with all his drama.

Unless of course you're happy with what the Flyers have been doing for the past couple decades, cause that's where we're headed (heck, we've already arrived). It's not hard getting to the top when your "top" is the middle of the pack....Flyer heaven.

We have ONE blue chip prospect, a bottom feeding farm system that's in a 3 way tie for 21st in the A, their top scorer is 28th in league scoring, 27 years old and played 7 NHL games for 1 point. We have a handful of 1st rounders that judging from where they'll be aren't too likely to get us any game changers. I just don't see this scenario adding up to a cup contender.

Edited by flyercanuck
  • Like 2

We have ONE blue chip prospect, a bottom feeding farm system.

It took awhile to wreck the pipeline it'll take awhile to fix it. Briere's been GM for one year and he (and his team) drafted that "ONE blue chip prospect." 

As for Tortorella I know his rep. Some of it's deserved most of it isn't. Anyway ... you say he's not the coach for a rebuild? Good then. According to you the Flyers aren't rebuilding so they oughta be just fine. 😎

Until we know for sure - until enough time has gone by to prove whether or not Jones/Briere are as creative as they'll need to be to pull this off - to build a Cup champion w/out stripping it to the rafters, w/out "tanking" - Tortorella's as good as anyone behind the bench. If he starts wearing thin after awhile so what? FFS he can't "ruin" anybody in the process no matter what Dubinsky says (though he may hurt some feelings).

Ugh was that a soft goal? I saw the end of the replay looked pretty far out near the blue line ... edit: never mind it was from btw the circles good shot.

So now it's 2-1 - do the Flyers get blown out or can they keep it close? 'Canes can really own a team with their forecheck when it's going good.

Edited by GratefulFlyers

21 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Okay I didn't mind bringing in Johnson but this sounds a little overcooked - what is he angling for a contract?

edit: good crowd in Carolina... Farabee went down hard took a puck in the face - crowd gave him a nice round of applause when he skated off... don't hear that as much these days.

Edited by GratefulFlyers

8 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Okay I didn't mind bringing in Johnson but this sounds a little overcooked - what is he angling for a contract?

I'm not sure but if are going to go after Walker again like what had been rumored, then i would take him back on a cheap one year deal if the plan is to move Risto like i seen (all that means is circle back to the best offer they got for him and go ahead and pull the riggeron moving him) come back and tutor Emil Andrea on the bottom pair i give my blessing maybe need to see how much vs what crazy stuff they might pull this offseason.

I'd rather take a run at a Jalen Chafield if i am going after a D man for term. Jalen is 28 to start next season Walker will be 30.

6 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

We are skating with them. You wish we had one more finisher. 

They really started swarming us in that second period. I think we have some real good potential finishers, what we really don’t have are table setters, some highly skilled setup guys.  You get some centers with pucks skills and suddenly our 20 goal scorers become 30 goal scorers. Frost is the only one with play making ability and pure offense vision. Look at our other centers, Laughton, Poehling and Cates, these guys are third and fourth liners at best. The offensive flow comes from the centers, when we  dramatically improve in that area and start winning faceoffs and control the puck with  some flow , you will  see our wingers score even more and our PP will finally improve . We need two more skilled centers before we can even be pretenders. Heard a disturbing stat the other day, the Flyers have had the worst PP three years in a row, that has never happened in NHL history. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

Look at our other centers, Laughton, Poehling and Cates, these guys are third and fourth liners at best.

Poehling has deceptive speed and good hands. Spending most of the season skating 12-15 mins he hasn't racked up many points but I don't think anyone knows his ceiling.

Frost has come alive and like you say it shows what's missing.

TK has the vision to be a good setup guy but he's in funk ... barely noticeable the past 10+ games. I really expect he'll be scratched when Couturier gets back in.

1 minute ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Poehling has deceptive speed and good hands. Spending most of the season skating 12-15 mins he hasn't racked up many points but I don't think anyone knows his ceiling.

Frost has come alive and like you say it shows what's missing.

TK has the vision to be a good setup guy but he's in funk ... barely noticeable the past 10+ games. I really expect he'll be scratched when Couturier gets back in.

The problem is we have too many skilled right wingers and only one skilled center, Frost. I like Poehlin, he’s a perfect third line center. Poehling is a more skilled ,bigger faster version of Laughton, that’s why Laughton should go. We need to get a  top line center ASAP, especially since Coots is washed up. We need to get one in this draft, but we have to move up.

Frost with another huge skill play - backhand pass btw his legs to TK coming around from behind the net.

TK got noticed on that one... tying goal and his first in awhile... good work that whole line.

Edited by GratefulFlyers
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Frost with another huge skill play - backhand pass btw his legs to TK coming around from behind the net.

TK got noticed on that one... tying goal and his first in awhile... good work that whole line.

I don’t think Frost was trying to pass there.  He scored last game with the between the legs shot.  Either way, it worked out.  

5 minutes ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

I don’t think Frost was trying to pass there.

Oh you think he was trying to score? Could be, trying to shoot it makes sense. But it didn't get tipped or anything - and the puck went right onto TK's tape. ... I don't know.

1 minute ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

He had the goalie moving but missed the net.  Canes come right down and score.

Story often told in Flyersland this year... not as bad as other years but those near-misses in OT can kill you. Not sure Farabee's shot qualifies as a near miss though ... went about 6 feet over the bar WTF... at least hit the pads force a save...

1 minute ago, mkscrewy said:

i hate 3-3 OT.

you and me both brother. stupidass way of settling a pro hockey game.

12 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Not far from down here in Chapin South Carolina where Trump is still the president and covid don't exist!!!

Love it here born and raised in this state.

Perfect weather.

But damn we getting so many yanks moving down here it is crazy so many Buckeye and Wolverine fans live in my subdivision it is crazy.

Enjoy your stay I lived in Greensboro from 1997 to November 99. It's where I seen Lindros, LeClair and Coffee play back in the day.

I was in Greensboro once. Saw a Grateful Dead show there in the early 90s. Nice city.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

I was in Greensboro once. Saw a Grateful Dead show there in the early 90s. Nice city.

First place I learned what a K hole was.

Partied alot downtown there.

Well, there's no shame in this loss.  Oh dear Lord...if we only had a PP.  We had 1:20 5 on 3 and couldn't do crap with it.  

I can't recall a Flyers team that skated this well in ages.  Poehling was active and taking the war to Carolina.  Attard and Ginning were very good.  

• Like 2
  • Good Post 1