Game 81: New Jersey Devils at Philadelphia Flyers; 4/13/24 @ 5 PM, NBCSP

2 minutes ago, CoachX said:

See, I don’t think there is anything wrong with that, given what they gave up. You make a safe move that doesn’t cost anything, and if you make the playoffs it’s a bonus

correct me if I’m wrong, but this is a business, right? If they make the playoffs that means more money for everyone, including the players. I would assume you’d have some pissed off guys in the coveted “room” we all talk about, if you just packed it in when they could get paid

You were saying they didn't make a move to spend assets to make the playoffs.

6 hours ago, CoachX said:

I don’t recall reading anyone saying not to rebuild, or that assets should be traded for a player or two to get this team into the playoffs 

There. That's what I was responding to.

The fact that you apparently now support the thing you said no one was in favor of - checks notes - six hours ago is your own issue.

:hocky:

30 minutes ago, CoachX said:

See, I don’t think there is anything wrong with that, given what they gave up.

I do see rad's comment below.....nails it.

2 hours ago, radoran said:

Sure, and they had warm bodies that could do that.

but damn looking at their 4th round picks the last 20 years man they have been dogshit picking in that round

so it might not have that big of a loss but they could have just let the kids play and not taken Johnson who is cooked.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

but damn looking at their 4th round picks the last 20 years man they have been dogshit picking in that round

They didn't even have a 4th in six of those years...

Connor "Echo and the" Bunnaman!

Edited by radoran

16 minutes ago, radoran said:

They didn't even have a 4th in six of those years...

Thank God...

...did you see what they did with the ones they had good lord yes now i know why they trade them...

2 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Thank God...

...did you see what they did with the ones they had good lord yes now i know why they trade them...

I did a whole post on it...

• Uggh... 1

On 4/13/2024 at 11:48 AM, CoachX said:

Tell me one time, just one, where an opposing player has had a career game against the Flyers 

…go ahead. I’m waiting

….. I dare ya

Yes, Mario Lemieux did similar things against other teams too..of course, but he had five goals and three assists versus the Flyers on April 25, 1989. You dare and there ya go.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, SCFlyguy said:

We had to destroy the season to save the season.

It would have made more sense to sell and tank, rather than to just fall short. Sorry, that's just how I see it. This team played over their heads, for quite a while.

15 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

It would have made more sense to sell and tank, rather than to just fall short. Sorry, that's just how I see it. This team played over their heads, for quite a while.

On the other hand, if the goal was to have something entertaining to watch for once, they did that. 

If you're in it to win it, this season helped nothing

• Like 2

7 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I do see rad's comment below.....nails it.

so it might not have that big of a loss but they could have just let the kids play and not taken Johnson who is cooked.

Looking at Phillys first round picks over the last 20 years, they haven't exactly set the world on fire. 

Other teams 4th rounders (or later) include Joe Pavelski, Ryan Callaghan, Dustin Byfuglian, Kris Versteeg (we traded a 1st and a 3rd for him) , MarkStreit, Keith Yandle (look at all these Flyers that we acquired years after they were drafted with low picks, genius) Darren Helm, Andrew MacDonald (look, yet another guy we gave up higher draft choices than where he was taken) Jamie Benn, Justin Braun (another!) Patrick Maroon (we threw him away....he's STILL playing and winning cups!) TJ Brodie, Jared Spurgeon, Cam Atkinson (well look at that) David Savard, Mattias Ekholm, Craig Smith, Mike Hoffman, Zack Hyman (who needs a 50 goal scorer),John Klingberg, Brendan Gallagher, Mark Stone, Johnny Gaudreau (coveted by many on this board, praying Fletcher would sign him, became a bum as soon as he got paid), Ondrej Palat, Devon Toews, Victor Arviddson, Kirill kaprizov, Jesper Bratt, Drake Batherson. And doesn't include several starting goalies (Shesterkin, Hellebyuk off the top of my head)

• Uggh... 1

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

Looking at Phillys first round picks over the last 20 years, they haven't exactly set the world on fire. 

Other teams 4th rounders (or later) include Joe Pavelski, Ryan Callaghan, Dustin Byfuglian, Kris Versteeg (we traded a 1st and a 3rd for him) , MarkStreit, Keith Yandle (look at all these Flyers that we acquired years after they were drafted with low picks, genius) Darren Helm, Andrew MacDonald (look, yet another guy we gave up higher draft choices than where he was taken) Jamie Benn, Justin Braun (another!) Patrick Maroon (we threw him away....he's STILL playing and winning cups!) TJ Brodie, Jared Spurgeon, Cam Atkinson (well look at that) David Savard, Mattias Ekholm, Craig Smith, Mike Hoffman, Zack Hyman (who needs a 50 goal scorer),John Klingberg, Brendan Gallagher, Mark Stone, Johnny Gaudreau (coveted by many on this board, praying Fletcher would sign him, became a bum as soon as he got paid), Ondrej Palat, Devon Toews, Victor Arviddson, Kirill kaprizov, Jesper Bratt, Drake Batherson. And doesn't include several starting goalies (Shesterkin, Hellebyuk off the top of my head)

Patrick Sharp? Hitchcock’s greatest blunder….Maroon was the guy who couldn’t get along with Berube……ugh

Edited by flyerrod

2 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Just a travesty of malpractice.

How on earth do they not evaluate their process?

Oh yeah wait first you have to admit to it being an issue first and we known the senior been here forever management would never do that it's always the coach or the players fault never the guys above.

WTF did I choose to be a Flyer 32 years ago all the teams I chose them. SMGDH.

:BrownBag:

2 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Yeah, you got 30 or so guys there.

Over the past 20 years (Pavelski, 2003) there have been ~600 4th round picks.

Your 5% chance here sounds a lot like "pick in the fourth round and anything can happen!"

Just think what could happen if they make the playoffs!

:5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

3 hours ago, flyerrod said:

Patrick Sharp? Hitchcock’s greatest blunder….Maroon was the guy who couldn’t get along with Berube……ugh

Sharp was a 2001 draftee. But point taken.

1 hour ago, radoran said:

Yeah, you got 30 or so guys there.

Over the past 20 years (Pavelski, 2003) there have been ~600 4th round picks.

Your 5% chance here sounds a lot like "pick in the fourth round and anything can happen!"

Just think what could happen if they make the playoffs!

:5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

Those aren't anywhere near the only guys who played in the NHL.  What I'm getting at is throwing away picks for washed up 35 year olds has never helped us win anything...so maybe stop doing it?

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Those aren't anywhere near the only guys who played in the NHL.  What I'm getting at is throwing away picks for washed up 35 year olds has never helped us win anything...so maybe stop doing it?

I haven't disagreed with the general theory, just noting the actual impact.

You're right, it's probably more like 10% 🤣

Briere also got a 5th back for brokering cap space.

Added Johnson as a salve to his locker room after he shipped out Walker for a first, replaced part of the cost for cap space.

All in all, I find it kinda hard to come down on him for it - in that context.

The context where picking in the middle of the first doesn't help a "rebuild" puts it in a different light, but they were already there.

Maybe Johnson's -10 helped them improve their position. 🤣

Edited by radoran
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, radoran said:

You were saying they didn't make a move to spend assets to make the playoffs.

There. That's what I was responding to.

The fact that you apparently now support the thing you said no one was in favor of - checks notes - six hours ago is your own issue.

I don't support it, I understand it. I have the same overall opinion of most on here. If they had off loaded everything of value at the deadline, I would have been happy. Especially since this would put an end to the Laughton saga and we could all be friends again.

I don't think anyone thought they would play the way they did. But since it happened, I think they had no choice but try. And they did so without abandoning the overall plan of rebuilding. I guess my passion does not equal many. When they don't do things my way, I don't take it as hard. I still think they are moving in the right direction. They gave us a team that was interesting to watch. And since so many are all anxious about things the team is doing in these crucial games leading to the PO's, I think that confirms how much we fans have enjoyed the season. If they had made a typical boneheaded move of giving away key assets to chase some over the hill star, and signed said star to a long term deal with a NMC, while throwing in sweetners, I would be as pissed as the rest of you. I would have no issues turning off the tv and watching something else

• Good Post 1

8 minutes ago, CoachX said:

don't support it, I understand it. I have the same overall opinion of most on here. If they had off loaded everything of value at the deadline, I would have been happy. Especially since this would put an end to the Laughton saga and we could all be friends again

Laughton seems to have the support and totally supports those people that Ivan Provorov disagreed with supporting. We see who was shipped out. NTTAWWT, Laughton is a versatile player who is a need on any team. He is not the guy you build a team around though. I was under the impression that Hart was going to be that guy…….

• Like 1