WEST Playoffs '23-'24 Round 1: (C3) Colorado Avalanche at (C2) Winnipeg Jets (COL Wins 4-1)

Avalanche at Jets  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Two Stanley Cup Hopefuls....But Only One Can Move On...

• Avs in 4.... WPG won't be standing in the way of another Cup run for COL
    • Avs in 5... WPG defense is tough, but COL and their offense is better!
    • Avs in 6... Great series that comes down to the Avs being just a step ahead of the Jets
    • Avs in 7... Could have been anyone's series, but Colorado wanted it more
    • Jets in 4... WPG is just too big, too strong for Colorado. And yea, they made it look THIS EASY.
    • Jets in 5... A bit of show from the Avs is not nearly enough to stop the Jets from taking that next step.
    • Jets in 6... Much closer set where the Jets show they are more than just a smash n bash team
    • Jets in 7... Some might call it a bit of an upset, but the Jets were built with the playoffs in mind all along...COL is left wondering what happened....

colatwpg.jpg.5951a8ae636d63995f34b8cfa83ff139.jpg

In what was a pretty intense race for the Central Division crown all season long had come down to this..... both the Avs and Jets lost out to the Dallas Stars.
And now here they are, facing each other in what could be one of the more intriguing matchups in the first round due to the very distinct contrasting styles of the teams, yet both can be considered viable to make it out of the Western Conference.

The Avalanche are the classic north south, super fast, super talented team with goal scoring coming from just about every position on the squad.
Meanwhile, the Jets play the tried and true "heavy" playoff style game, win games much lower scoring, and have the defense and goaltending to back that up.

Who dictates their style? Or maybe we get a plot twist here.... The Avs flip the switch and play that heavy playoff style, while Winnipeg decides to open it up? Or maybe both teams constantly switch from game to game...or even shift to shift. 
Like I said....intriguing matchup.

Colorado Avalanche tale of the tape:
Season Record: 50-25-7, 107 pts________ Home/Road splits: 31-9-1 / 19-16-6

Offense-Defense: 304 GF, 254 GA good for a +50 differential
Special Teams: PP 24.5% (5th), PK 79.9% (12th)

Winnipeg Jets tale of the tape:
Season Record: 52-24-6, 110 pts_______ Home/Road Splits: 27-11-3 / 25-13-3

Offense-Defense: 259 GF, 199 GA good for a +60 differential

Special Teams: PP 18.8% (22nd), PK 77.1% (21st)

All Avalanche-Jets series talk...right here!

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26
  • Good Post 1

Goalies: :jets:

Defense: :jets:

Offense: :avalanche:

Special teams (PP/PK): :avalanche:

Coaching: :avalanche:

Mental: :jets:

Experience: :avalanche:

Robustness: :jets:

Depth: :jets:

The Jets have the Avalanche's number. I don't trust Colorado: Georgiev has been awful, Makar is the best Dman but outside of him there's a huge hole, they rely too much on their top-6 to win games with their offense. I'm surprised the Jets made it that far despite their coach. I'll go with the relative upset:

Jets in 6.

• Like 1

Damn Jets...110 points during the season. 

110 really quiet points and they got beaten by the Flyers 2 times, so I'm going with MacKinnon and Makar.

Hellboy steals 2 and the Jets win one but they can't get the 4th.

• Like 1

On paper, Colorado is better, but their goaltending isn't very good. Unless Georgiev plays better (or Annunen can step up somehow), and their defense plays better, I don't think they beat the Jets. Even with all their firepower. Jets in 6.

• Like 1

Classic Offense vs Defense.... Free Flowing vs Heavy Style....Flashy vs Workmanlike.

On paper, and if you are a glutton for what the media feeds you, the Colorado Avalanche are favored to win this.
But since the Jets aren't a paper team, and they have some real Jurassic sized players who can also produce, not to mention a guy in net who could arguably be called the 'best goaltender on the planet', I think WPG has just as good a shot to win.

Let's not forget that for large stretches of the season, the Jets led the Central, and teams trying to break through their defensive schemes was akin to trying to run through a wall, head first, without a helmet.

Yea, yea...when your team is led by the likes of Nathan MacKinnon and Cale Makar, I can see why the Avs are the favored team.
But I question their goaltending, I question their overall team depth, and I question the hype...again.

I will go Jets in 7, home ice will play a part, in a mild 'upset' if you can call it that, that sees them shuffle off to the next round.

I’m aware that ’Winnipeg White’ is a crowd tradition up there…would the NHL allow the Jets players to also don white jerseys (and the visitors dark) against convention?

Doesn’t make full sense to me, as it stands.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, SaucyJack said:

I’m aware that ’Winnipeg White’ is a crowd tradition up there…would the NHL allow the Jets players to also don white jerseys (and the visitors dark) against convention?

Doesn’t make full sense to me, as it stands.

I get what you mean. It's a left-over from the days that the home team wore white.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

I think that puck crossed the line.

That was crazy and very hard to tell seems angle and when it was on it side....maybe...

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

It's a left-over from the days that the home team wore white.

That convention was better for live fans, especially season ticket holders.  More color variety over the campaign if the visitors wear their color (“dark”) gear.

As a kid, the convention was as now…great for TV viewers when (as for Chicago) only road games were televised, so you saw the different colored jerseys of the opposition.  I liked that.

So since the days of Orr, Esposito, Beliveau, Howe, Hull, et al, the convention changed (good for Winnipeg White)…then changed back.

Edited by SaucyJack
  • Like 2

• TropicalFruitGirl26 changed the title to WEST Playoffs '23-'24 Round 1: (C3) Colorado Avalanche at (C2) Winnipeg Jets (Series Tied 1-1)
  • JR Ewing changed the title to WEST Playoffs '23-'24 Round 1: (C3) Colorado Avalanche at (C2) Winnipeg Jets (Avs lead 2-1)