WEST Playoffs '23-'24 Round 1: (WC1) Nashville Predators at (P1) Vancouver Canucks (VAN Leads 3-2)

Predators at Canucks  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Will The Real Contender Please Stand Up....

• Preds in 4... Wow. Just wow. Really Nashville? And you were gonna trade Juuse??
    • Preds in 5... NSH sends VAN back to the drawing board.
    • Preds in 6... Competitive series that still sees the Canucks missing....something...
    • Preds in 7... Neither was supposed to make it here this soon, but NSH makes sure they get a fresh set of downs (yes, that was an NFL reference!)
    • Canucks in 4... Preds are worn out, burnt out, tired out, and now, just plain OUT
    • Canucks in 5... With or without Demko, VAN shows they are Pacific Champions for a reason. Go home, Preds...
    • Canucks in 6... Well now, turned into a pretty good set. But VAN still shows the Preds the door.
    • Canucks in 7... VAN is sure glad they got home ice....it suited them. Round 2 here they come!

nshatvan.jpg.72baa4f3b738c50d294b3d0963b05c5b.jpg

Two teams that surprised the holy heck out of many people this season meet in the opening round of Lord Stanley's playoffs.
The Preds were supposed to be transitioning, retooling on the fly, as it were, heck, there was even talk of trading away Juuse Saros in order to speed that up.
The Canucks, pretty bad (and ultra Downey soft) last year, unloaded some soft weight, added in some good pieces, got Thatcher Demko back to his old self (errrr, even though he is currently on IR), and not only played well enough to make the playoffs, but won the freakin Pacific division!

But...are any of these teams 'for real'?
There are doubters out there, and I can see why.
Canucks ran roughshod through most of the year, until showing some cracks as the season wore on late......and they really do seem to be a different team without Demko bailing them out in net.
Predators started out like the so-so team they were expected to be, then just took off like a rocket and finished about as strong as one could hope for....but did they peak too soon?

Nashville Predators tale of the tape:
Season Record: 47-30-5, 99 pts_______ Home/Road Splits: 23-16-2 / 24-14-3
Offense-Defense: 269 GF, 248 GA good for +21 differential
Special Teams: PP 21.6% (16th), PK 76.9% (22nd)

Vancouver Canucks tale of the tape:
Season Record: 50-23-9, 109 pts_____ Home/Road Splits: 27-9-5 / 24-14-3
Offense-Defense: 279 GF, 223 GA good for a +56 differential
Special Teams: PP 22.7% (11th), PK 79.1 (17th)

Whether people believe in either of these teams or not, one of them gets to move on to Round 2.
Preds, 'Nucks....series talk here!

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26
  • Good Post 1

Goalies: :predators:

Defense: :canucks:

Offense: :canucks:

Special teams (PP/PK): :canucks:

Coaching: :canucks:

Mental: :predators:

Experience: :predators:

Robustness: :canucks:

Depth: :canucks:

I might think Vancouver was kinda overperforming, at least in the first part of the season while I didn't know what to expect from Nashville. This is an intruiging series and the Preds could push it to the limit.

Canucks in 7.

• Like 1

• TropicalFruitGirl26 changed the title to WEST Playoffs '23-'24 Round 1: (WC1) Nashville Predators at (P1) Vancouver Canucks

I have zero clue how the Predators made the post season. 

That said, I think their truculence will make the series interesting. 

Vancouver is young but really good- so it may take a minute to find their playoff game.

I just think there are too many good players on the Canucks and they win in 6

• Like 1

On 4/20/2024 at 4:27 PM, yave1964 said:

Snoozer series

We’ll have to liven things up, then, eh?

Who knew how complicated this was?

https://montrealgazette.com/opinion/watchwords-origin-of-the-term-canuck-lies-in-an-unlikely-place

Not the first term, meant as disparagement in some cases, to be embraced by the objects of such scorn.

As a kid, when Buffalo and Vancouver entered the league, I’d never heard the word pronounced.  I’d think or say ‘KAY-nuck’.  It was months before I heard the Blackhawks announcers utter ‘cuh-NUCK’.  

Oh!

P.S.  The article also explains where ‘Canada’ aka ‘Kanata’ comes from.  Who knew?  (In USA anyhoo…)

P.P.S.  KAY-nuks win!

Edited by SaucyJack
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, SaucyJack said:

P.S.  The article also explains where ‘Canada’ aka ‘Kanata’ comes from.  Who knew?  (In USA anyhoo…)

About 30 years ago, you could hardly turn on the TV in this country without seeing a Heritage Minute during ad breaks, and how Canada got its name was one of the videos they made:

There were also several hockey-related videos filmed, covering things like Jacques Plante introducing the goalie mask to the NHL, the Winnipeg Falcons winning the first Gold Medal awarded at the Winter Olympics, Rocket Richard, etc.

Edited by JR Ewing
  • Good Post 1

6 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

how Canada got its name was one of the videos they made:

They put a toque on a moose and called it "Canada"

Or, you know, so I heard...

:5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

• Haha 1

• TropicalFruitGirl26 changed the title to WEST Playoffs '23-'24 Round 1: (WC1) Nashville Predators at (P1) Vancouver Canucks (VAN Leads 1-0)

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/canucks-demko-injured-questionable-for-rest-of-series/

Vancouver Canucks star goaltender Thatcher Demko has an injury and is questionable for the rest of the series against the Nashville Predators, Sportsnet's Elliotte Friedman reported on Tuesday.

The two-time All-Star returned in the final week of the regular season from a knee injury he suffered on March 9. He played two games and then made 20 saves in the Canucks' series-opening 4-2 win over the Predators on Sunday.

1 hour ago, JR Ewing said:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/canucks-demko-injured-questionable-for-rest-of-series/

Vancouver Canucks star goaltender Thatcher Demko has an injury and is questionable for the rest of the series against the Nashville Predators, Sportsnet's Elliotte Friedman reported on Tuesday.

The two-time All-Star returned in the final week of the regular season from a knee injury he suffered on March 9. He played two games and then made 20 saves in the Canucks' series-opening 4-2 win over the Predators on Sunday.

Out for at least game # 2 if not longer.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Brewin Flames said:

Out for at least game # 2 if not longer.

That's a shame. Always hate to see guys get hurt.

12 minutes ago, Math said:

He should use some duct tape. You can fix everything with duct tape.

Absolutely.
Recommended by 4 out of 5 surgeons.
And that is only because that 5th surgeon is more of a 'use freshly chewed bubblegum' guy :ph34r: 

• TropicalFruitGirl26 changed the title to WEST Playoffs '23-'24 Round 1: (WC1) Nashville Predators at (P1) Vancouver Canucks (VAN Leads 2-1)

What the hell is up with refs letting cross checking downed players slide???

Cross checking is illegal, no?
Holding is illegal, no?
Impeding a player without the puck is illegal, no?

Cross checking downed player ticks off ALL the above boxes....yet, I am seeing that being let go more n more during games.

Last two: Nikita Kucherov got crosschecked several times near the head area in yesterday's game while he was on the ice.......and in this game, a Vancouver player cross checks a downed Nashville player a few times, pinning him to the ice, when the puck was long gone.

Cross checking, holding, interference...guy should have gotten 6 minutes for all that!
Yet not a single call....hmmm....

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26

2 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

Hey Sissons, what the hell was that? The net was empty!

Canucks certainly made him pay for that big miss....instead of a tie series, we are going into OT where Nashville can still win obviously, but nothing is guaranteed now!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Canucks certainly made him pay for that big miss....instead of a tie series, we are going into OT where Nashville can still win obviously, but nothing is guaranteed now!

The hockey gods tend to greatly dislike those brainfarts, like the one Sissons committed. This series might end in the Canucks favor, in five, now.

1 hour ago, FD19372 said:

The hockey gods tend to greatly dislike those brainfarts, like the one Sissons committed. This series might end in the Canucks favor, in five, now.

I told my wife when he hit the pipe that it’s going to comeback to haunt them and boy did it ever 

• Good Post 1

• TropicalFruitGirl26 changed the title to WEST Playoffs '23-'24 Round 1: (WC1) Nashville Predators at (P1) Vancouver Canucks (VAN Leads 3-1)
  • TropicalFruitGirl26 changed the title to WEST Playoffs '23-'24 Round 1: (WC1) Nashville Predators at (P1) Vancouver Canucks (VAN Leads 3-2)