2024 Entry Level Draft - Confirmed Flyers pick at #12

18 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

https://thehockeywriters.com/jett-luchanko-2024-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/ 

image.png.8abe6951f0ee6864865ae7163e5381ae.png

Every draft, there are always a handful of players that surprise and makes their way into the first round. Last year, it was Easton Cowan. This year, Guelph Storm centre Jett Luchanko definitely could find himself as a first round pick as a result of his work ethic and tenacity. 

Luchanko led the Storm in scoring in his sophomore season, finishing with 74 points (top 30 in league scoring) in 68 games, a 1.09 point per game rate. While it may not seem like high-end production considering he had 14 points all of last season. Without Matthew Poitras, he was able to answer the call and take a massive step forward and prove that he can keep up and excel against tough competition. To have that responsibility, production and a smart two-way game at 17 years old is impressive.  

Luchanko’s main attributes are his work ethic and his smarts, which is evident in the recent OHL coach’s poll where he was voted in the top three as the smartest and hardest working player from the Western Conference. Even his on-ice testing before CHL Top Prospects game shows the skill that he has, scoring very well. He possesses great smarts, a high-end drive and motor every time he’s on the ice. He shows no fear and is always displaying a willingness to constantly battle in the tough areas. He needs to add more strength to his game, but that tenacity in addition to his speed always makes him a thorn in the side of the opposition to break up plays and force a turnover. 

Offensively, Luchanko is a very silky-smooth playmaker, driving the play every time and displaying great hands in tight spaces and high traffic areas. He has great speed and agility and has a very strong first few steps in order to create separation quickly to get out of high-pressure situations. Even when in that spot, he’s very calm and shows no panic. 

Luchanko is a very deceptive puck distributor. When you think he’s going to shoot, he quickly looks off for a pass fooling both defenders and goaltenders. He easily draws players in to open things up and can connect with his teammates easily, be it with cross seams or making quick give-and-go plays. He plays at a fast pace and combined with his speed, edgework, puck skills and control, he’s hard to contain in transition or when attacking the offensive zone. If he wants to be a dual threat, he needs to work on his shot and make better decisions with his shot selection. Though, he does a great job to get in tight on goalies and finish off plays with his hands and skill.

Luchanko has a very strong defensive game when he doesn’t have the puck. That same aggressive and tenacious mindset with the puck allows him to close gaps quickly and be engaged with his stick to make a timely lift and break up plays. He’s always in motion, scanning and anticipating where the puck is going to be to put himself in a great spot to engage in battle and regain possession. He provides great puck support for his teammates and is always in position to help out in a play.

Compared to other players in the OHL, Luchanko is definitely flying under the radar. The upside he has is undeniable as a lot of the quality teams look for is there. 

NHL Draft Projection
Ideally, Luchanko is a lock to be a second-round pick in this year’s draft. While he may not have first-round production, he definitely has the skillset and smarts in order to be one. Which is why if there’s a team that has him high on their list, there should be no hesitation to select him as a late first-round selection as he’s a reliable player with great skill to his game. 

Quotables
“There’s enough skill to make him worth the first-round bet, but the combination of raw athletic ability, high motor, solid skating and defensive acumen makes Luchanko an easy-to-project player.” – Hadi Kalakeche, Dobber Prospects 

“Luchanko’s got the speed, the tenacity, the skill, and the IQ to be a top six center at the NHL level. He’s also a committed two-way player and has kept up the strong off puck play that he exhibited last year, despite being counted upon to be an offensive play driver.” – Brock Otten, McKeen’s/ OHL Prospects

Strengths 
High motor and energy
Work ethic and competitive
Great skating speed and strong edgework
Strong two-way vision
Playmaking awareness

Under Construction- Improvements to Make
Improve shot selection and power
Build on strong offensive production
Add more strength

NHL Potential
Luchanko’s ceiling could project him as a highly skilled, two-way centreman with top-six potential. Even if he’s a middle-six player, he’s one that you can rely on in any situation and his speed could be an asset on the penalty-kill to try and generate some offense as well. There’s a lot that still needs to happen for him to get to that point, but the skill and awareness is already evident in his game that can get him there quicker. His development path and skillset feel very similar to that of Poitras as they both play with speed and are both skilled passers.

Risk- Reward Analysis

Risk- 2/5, Reward 3.5/5

Fantasy Hockey Potential

Offense- 6/10, Defense 7/10

Awards/ Achievements
Luchanko won a silver medal at the 2023 U17 World Hockey Challenge, playing for Canada Red

==========================================

I would be a bit concerened at his size.  No doubt he can add bulk as  he grows.  That would be a concern but nothing to go nuclear like the nitwits on Twitter/X or any  other social media site,

Last thing I want is a 160 lb center.

• Good Post 1

11 minutes ago, radoran said:

I'm not "nuclear" about anything because nothing has actually happened yet.

I think reaching to the 20th ranked NA skater with your 12th pick in a rebuilding environment would be "a mistake" but I've been wrong before.

Not as often as the Flyers, but it has happened. :hocky:

So, Morgan Frost II.

If we took a guy like that with the FLA pick,maybe. Pure stupidity with the 12th pick. We are in no position to gamble. 

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, radoran said:

I'm not "nuclear" about anything because nothing has actually happened yet.

I think reaching to the 20th ranked NA skater with your 12th pick in a rebuilding environment would be "a mistake" but I've been wrong before.

Not as often as the Flyers, but it has happened. :hocky:

So, Morgan Frost II.

He looks more like a really good bottom 6 player to me...not something you take 12th overall....unless, of course you're the Flyers. 😉

• Like 2
  • Uggh... 1

26 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

Guess they have to make goalie a priority again. Flyers can't catch a break!

:bonkingheadonwall:

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I like "may" as a word. For example: this may be true. :hocky:

I know Meltzer reposted it, but I'mawait for something a little more official before beating my head against the wall. :5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Wtf?!!? Seriously, come on...

20 minutes ago, radoran said:

beating my head against the wall.

Even if it's true no sense beating your head against the wall - this comes with the risk of drafting players from other countries.

Pointless.

However i do ask the Hockey Gods to bestow some better luck on the Flyers for selfish reasons we all pretty much have...

...but i know they enjoy this it's why they're still laughing at the Nolan Patrick pick...

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

this comes with the risk of drafting players from other countries.

Pointless.

Or, their own country. Like a very recent 5th overall pick.

I don't know...maybe it's just me, but maybe the Flyers have to start making themselves less of a joke of an organization.

Edited by flyercanuck
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, ctid said:

Wtf?!!? Seriously, come on...

Yep.

@radoran

And i'm not saying this did or didn't have anything to do with it but it pissed me off they brought him over here and didn’t even play him in the playoffs.

And me and @flyercanuck said the same thing they went down in Flames with Cal fuggin Petersen!!!

the article if you want to read it

https://belarushockey.com/khl/news/2024/05/16/aleksej-kolosov-mozhet-vernutsja-v-minskoe-dinamo/

1 minute ago, flyercanuck said:

Or, their own country. Like a very recent 5th overall pick.

I agree especially college prospects.

Lappy should have play the kid in the playoffs at least one time towards the end.

Might have pissed him off we'll never know maybe.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

the Flyers have to start making themselves less of a joke of an organization

I certainly would like they to try that...

...ya know to see if it works.

• Like 1

So now we forget all about kolosov, and they overpay for chychrun and then sign him to an 8 year deal next year, and take somebody way off the board at 12. Long live our continued  existence in the realm of mediocracy...

• Like 1
  • Uggh... 3

2 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

He hasn't even turned 18 yet and he wouldn't be on the club for a minimum of two years. He's going to be fine if they select him. Remember, Peter Forsberg was 5'8, 160 pounds when he was drafted by the Flyers. These kids are going to grow. 

20 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

He hasn't even turned 18 yet and he wouldn't be on the club for a minimum of two years. He's going to be fine if they select him. Remember, Peter Forsberg was 5'8, 160 pounds when he was drafted by the Flyers. These kids are going to grow. 

He’s not gonna grow,into the 6ft 2 ,220lb center we need unless he goes on a massive cycle of Roids and HGH.

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

He’s been in. America for a month ,  who expects to be assimilated that fast, are they kidding or what.

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

He’s been in. America for a month ,  who expects to be assimilated that fast, are they kidding or what.

You don't play a Cal Petersen over him though.

Was no point brining him over if they weren't going to play him.

He played very well his 2nd regular season game and when the Phantoms got down 2 games and were facing elimination you must make a change if for nothing more than the message it sends the other prospects.

For all we know this may be his camp leaking something like this as a message to be sent to the Flyer brass.

Edited by OccamsRazor

17 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

You don't play a Cal Petersen over him though.

Was no point brining him over if they weren't going to play him.

He played very well his 2nd regular season game and when the Phantoms got down 2 games and were facing elimination you must make a change if for nothing more than the message it sends the other prospects.

For all we know this may be his camp leaking something like this as a message to be sent to the Flyer brass.

That’s so typical of the Flyers management, just like playing that fossil Johnson over Attard and Ginning who both looked good. Stahl is another washed up pylon who should have never played.

• Good Post 1

5 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

Over the years I have found that as you get closer to the draft, writers like Dreger and Button usually have an accurate list of who the team's are picking. I would love to somehow get Dickinson and pair him with Bonk.

Be that as it may, Dickenson is going  top 8. So unless you trade up, it's a pipe dream

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

Be that as it may, Dickenson is going  top 8. So unless you trade up, it's a pipe dream

Dickenson will NOT be there at 12.  Can't say it any more plainly than that (I'm agreeing with you).

• Like 2

Here's the other thing to remember with the draft. There's always a riser and someone always falls. I mean, we haven't even got to the draft yet and Eiserman, who started the year as the consensus number two is now expected to go as late as 13. And nobody expected Silayev to potentially go as high as he's going. Plus, with the Memorial Cup tournament starting, it's possible that Dickinson could go in the top five if he has a dominant tournament. And we haven't even got the combine yet. Buckle up because this draft is going to be all over the place.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

Well that’s what I propose, let’s trade up . I would rather have one real good player than two Brian Laughtons. So is FLAs pick and our pick enough to move up four spots?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RonJeremy said:

Well that’s what I propose, let’s trade up . I would rather have one real good player than two Brian Laughtons. So is FLAs pick and our pick enough to move up four spots?

You can only trade up if you have a team wanting to do so.

But you can never call it like last year it shook the draft up when Montreal took Reinbacher and then the Yotes shocked many and passed on Michkov for Simashev.

And boom Flyers get Matvei.

• Like 1

There are a lot of interesting options that originally graded out late first to second round. 

RD
Henry Mews 6'0 Ottawa
Charlie Elick 6'3 Brandon
Domink Badinka 6'3 Malmo
EJ Emery 6'3 USDP
Harrison Bruncke 6'3 Kamloops
Ben Danford 6'0 Oshawa
Adam Kleber 6'5 Lincoln

LD
Cole Hutson 5'10 USDP
Leo Shalin Wallenius 6'0 Vaxjo Lakers
Alfons Freij 6'1 Vaxjo Lakers
Matvei Shuravin 6'2 Krasnaya Armiya
Jesse Pulkkinen 6'6 JYP
Daniil Ustinkov 6'1 ZSC
Stian Solberg 6'2 Valerenga
Veeti Vaisanen 6'0 KooKoo
Tomas Galvas 5'10 Liberec
Leon Muggli 6'0 Ev Zug
Will Skahan 6'4 USDP

19 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

There's always a riser and someone always falls. I mean, we haven't even got to the draft yet and Eiserman, who started the year as the consensus number two is now expected to go as late as 13.

No surprise, if the guy would have worked on his skating, and his play without the puck, and his passing, and so on, which, apparently he did NONE of, he'd likely still be at worst a top 5 pick. Sounds like a coaches nightmare.

9 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

No surprise, if the guy would have worked on his skating, and his play without the puck, and his passing, and so on, which, apparently he did NONE of, he'd likely still be at worst a top 5 pick. Sounds like a coaches nightmare.

Yep. Even if that one dimension is great ,his unwillingness to work on other parts of his game is distressing.

• Like 1