2024 Entry Level Draft - Flyers Edition

So ......

The Flyers will be picking at #12 for the upcoming 2024 NHL Entry Level Draft.  Who are some of the players that could potentially be in play?  Who would you like to see.  Position of need most of us would agree a 1C and a legit 1st pair D-Man.

Here are some of the top Centers available this year .....

image.png.55417052bedd5e084fec044560a5e32a.png

I think you can safetly kiss Celebrini / Demidov / Lindstrom off the list unless the Flyers win the Lottery and pick #2.  Regardless, Celebrini will not be a Flyer.

Depending how the draft unfolds, Catton might be in play.  I think at #12 Iginla / Helenius would be potential picks if available.

As far as D-men .....

image.png.5c4ddb0fcac7c5a9dfdae0176de0e09c.png

I know this draft is heavy on D-Men.  Any names that stick out?  I have seen Levshunov / Dickinson and Parekh drafted high in mock drafts ...Don't know much about them.

Again Thoughts?

We will know more once the Lottery is completed ......

Unless major pieces fall in the draft, I'm leaning towards Konsta Helenius at 12. Coached by Olli the last few years and he compared him (stylistic) on the defensive side in terms of takeaways like Datsyuk/Barkov. He's a 5"11 180 Center and will probably grow a little more. If the pieces fall where they are projected, it's highly likely it's between Helenius and Iggy Jr. I'm leaning 55/45 towards the Finn. And if Kiviharju drops even further it would be a nice 1/2 pickup with our two 1st round picks. But if one of the top D-men fall, I take them.

11 hours ago, ctid said:

Unless major pieces fall in the draft, I'm leaning towards Konsta Helenius at 12.

If he is there i like this pick. Flyers need center depth so bad.

I've thought about this previously and I'm going with size and meanness elements that are going to be needed. At 12, I'm hoping that Carter Yakemchuk is available. If he's not, then one of Iginla, Catton or Helenius is fine. With the Florida pick, Charlie Elick. This clun needs some serious meanness in the lineup. 

In terms of round 2, Yegor Surin from Russia would be my choice.

4 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I've thought about this previously and I'm going with size and meanness elements that are going to be needed. At 12, I'm hoping that Carter Yakemchuk is available. If he's not, then one of Iginla, Catton or Helenius is fine. With the Florida pick, Charlie Elick. This clun needs some serious meanness in the lineup. 

In terms of round 2, Yegor Surin from Russia would be my choice.

I can't tell if with the "size and meanness" you're being facetious or if you really are Bobby Clarke. 

If said meanie person first has skill, I'm fine, but mean/size vs  skill, this club has got to start acquiring skill.

Edited by ruxpin
  • Like 1

I’d like to trade up for the big center Lindstrom or the dman Dickinson,  if we pick 12th ,I like Yakemchuck, he’s a monster, he hits and is an offense’s dynamo and he’s a right handed. I’ve watched his highlights ,he looks great. If we go center then I’d go with Iginla, Im drafting bigger tougher players with good skill levels over smaller passive guys with skill. This team needs some skilled guys with size. 

Edited by RonJeremy

39 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I can't tell if with the "size and meanness" you're being facetious or if you really are Bobby Clarke. 

If said meanie person first has skill, I'm fine, but mean/size vs  skill, this club has got to start acquiring skill.

Oh, there's plenty of skill with Yakemchuk and Elick. Yakemchuk is a 30 goal, 70 point defenseman in the WHL who just happens to be mean and physical.

As for Elick, his skill is that he's a premier shutdown defenseman who can handle the puck capably. Think beast mode Braydon Coburn, but beast mode 100% of the time. And yes, he's also mean and physical. 

• Like 1

we shouldn't be drafting anyone named "Carter".....😄

I've seen a couple of Mocks where they have us picking Iginla, and I've seen others where the Devils pick him before us...

what's the word on Celebrini? he's not a generational player like Beddard, Matthews, etc...

one person mentioned that he might be a Couturier type of player...any insights on this kid? I probably should have watched him play since I could literally walk to the Agganis Arena where the Terriers play...

Edited by flyerdog

1 hour ago, flyerdog said:

I've seen a couple of Mocks where they have us picking Iginla, and I've seen others where the Devils pick him before us...

Any relation to Jerome? Son?  ugh, ya know you're getting old when kids of players you used to watch are starting to play in the big leagues...Seen a LOT this year in the NFL draft...Harrison Jr., Trotter Jr. , Gore jr., Rice jr.   Ahhhhhh

1 hour ago, flyerdog said:

we shouldn't be drafting anyone named "Carter".....😄

what's the word on Celebrini? he's not a generational player like Beddard, Matthews, etc...

one person mentioned that he might be a Couturier type of player...any insights on this kid? I probably should have watched him play since I could literally walk to the Agganis Arena where the Terriers play...

I wouldn't be surprised if Calgary takes Iginla, he's ranked right around their pick. 

Celebrini isn't generational...neither is Bedard or Matthews. Think Jonathan Toews in his prime...that's Celebrini. I guy you can count on shorthanded, 5 on 5 or PP. A great 200 foot player.

5 hours ago, Cheesesteak said:

Any relation to Jerome? Son?  ugh, ya know you're getting old when kids of players you used to watch are starting to play in the big leagues...Seen a LOT this year in the NFL draft...Harrison Jr., Trotter Jr. , Gore jr., Rice jr.   Ahhhhhh

yup and when you speak to younger hockey fans and they have no clue who Martin Brodeur is.....😮

17 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Calgary takes Iginla, he's ranked right around their pick. 

Celebrini isn't generational...neither is Bedard or Matthews. Think Jonathan Toews in his prime...that's Celebrini. I guy you can count on shorthanded, 5 on 5 or PP. A great 200 foot player.

I got to thinking about that and it wouldn't surprise me if Tij Iginla didn't want to go to Calgary because of his dad's legacy. Ridly Greig said he didn't want to go to Philadelphia because of his dad being part of the organization. It's very possible Iginla might tell Conroy and his dad that he doesn't want to be drafted by them. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I got to thinking about that and it wouldn't surprise me if Tij Iginla didn't want to go to Calgary because of his dad's legacy. Ridly Greig said he didn't want to go to Philadelphia because of his dad being part of the organization. It's very possible Iginla might tell Conroy and his dad that he doesn't want to be drafted by them. 

Well he's from Lake Country and plays for Kelowna, both about a 6 hour drive from Calgary. I get the pressure of following in your dads footsteps, but it's also a feel good story. And it's not often pro athletes can drive home for the weekend.

Greig probably didn't want to play for Philly because there was a complete imbecile and worst GM in pro sports running the team. Can't say I blame him. 

Edited by flyercanuck

1 hour ago, ctid said:

Do you guys know how, when and where to watch the lottery tomorrow? I guess it's primarily to my fellow across the pond people.

Viaplay (the one showing NHL in Scandinavia) they don't have it on their program.

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/sports/nhl/2024-draft-lottery-date/3522351/

• Like 2

I'm not sure if anyone reads any of the Philadelphia publications, but Johnathan Bailey posted an article pleading with the Flyers to not trade for Mitch Marner. Considering that there has been no outward talks about the flyers being a suitor, I found it interesting that the Flyers are attached to Marner. I know there have been little tidbits in the past about Philadelphia and Marner (I read one trade rumour about Marner for Provorov and them Marner, Woll and Lilegren for Konecny and Hart), but this seems like there is serious smoke there. If they are looking at Marner, one of those firsts are going. Personally, I hope they avoid Marner (I like him, but think he's a bad fit in Toronto) and continue rebuilding. However, Tortorella and his comments about getting more talent are starting to ring loudly in that they're looking to trade. I could only imagine what Marner would cost.....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I'm not sure if anyone reads any of the Philadelphia publications, but Johnathan Bailey posted an article pleading with the Flyers to not trade for Mitch Marner. Considering that there has been no outward talks about the flyers being a suitor, I found it interesting that the Flyers are attached to Marner. I know there have been little tidbits in the past about Philadelphia and Marner (I read one trade rumour about Marner for Provorov and them Marner, Woll and Lilegren for Konecny and Hart), but this seems like there is serious smoke there. If they are looking at Marner, one of those firsts are going. Personally, I hope they avoid Marner (I like him, but think he's a bad fit in Toronto) and continue rebuilding. However, Tortorella and his comments about getting more talent are starting to ring loudly in that they're looking to trade. I could only imagine what Marner would cost.....

Yea I read that too. He's got a year left before he is up for a massive extension right? Great player, but no thanks, not what we need now. He's 27, it's years before we have a whole team that can consistently reach the latter stages of the playoffs, let alone reach the playoffs. What's the point in committing to Marner now and sucking (being average as usual) for the next 3-5 years and then start contending when Marner is 32 and twilight of his career?? Getting Marner or somebody like him with his age, will only extend the continued mediocracy and thereby delay the rebuild.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Yes, lets trade for a guy who plays a perimeter game and is on the soft side. Also a RW, the only position of strength on the Flyers. It would be so stupid, I can see us doing it. 

• Like 3
  • Uggh... 1

Just now, flyercanuck said:

It would be so stupid, I can see us doing it. 

Right?!?!? I mean, the old boys club are all senior advisors and you know that they'd be chomping at the bit for something like this. They'd be siding with Tortorella and telling Helferty that Torts could fix him and guys like Marner don't come along very often. And it's funny that Marner is a perimeter player, especially because he's so good defensively.

How about going after a guy like Shane Wright? He's 20, still potential to be a 1C even though he dropped a little in his draft year and is taking his time developing. What's the word on him, can he be lured away from Seattle or are they going all in on him? 

Edited by ctid