Michkov may be here this summer

A few articles are saying Michkov is coming over for good.https://thehockeynews.com/nhl/philadelphia-flyers/latest-news/flyers-prospects-matvei-michkov-could-arrive-much-earlier-than-expected

I heard on a podcast to expect this situation and the machinations around it to be weird.

Even by Flyers standards, which is pretty damn weird.

It would also be good to know for sure prior to the draft so "things" can happen.

4 hours ago, FD19372 said:

If they don't get Michkov here this summer, I fear that he'll never get here. 

For the stat folks...

No claims being made for the Debbie downers...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

For the stat folks...

No claims being made for the Debbie downers...

It's Dougie Downer, not Debbie. 🤣 I'm not saying Michkov won't great, if he gets here. I'm quite confident he will be. I just really worry about the political situation over there, and him not getting here. The earlier he gets here, obviously the better for the Flyers.

• Like 3

In typical Flyers fashion, nothing can go the way it's supposed to...example, guys don't just get injured they get the rarest form of cancer known to western medicine.

Now the 3 year project may turn into a 1 year project. In my PJMGT class we call this "crashing the schedule".

So, should whatever need to happen for Michkov-mania to begin next season; what do people think should be done with the roster?

Do the Flyers trade for a youngish #1 C, 

Does it change the Konecny extension strategy?

Do the Flyers try to sign a FA 1C for a "few" years. Pie in the sky version of this, sign Stamkos for a short term high dollar contract.  That's unrealistic probably.

Do the Flyers try to offer-sheet a young guy who is blocked or under-appreciated, Cole Perfetti ? 

Do the Flyers try to make a move for some of the Carolina forwards who are deemed expendable since a big bill is coming due this summer.  People have mentioned Necas, or Teravainen both are older than Konecny but they are good players. I don't think Jarvis or Drury will be available but maybe some of these near 30s guys could be in play.

Any of the Tronno core guys worth kicking a tire on ? Marner or Wille? i don't think Auston is going anywhere.

Or, do the Flyers wait a season, finish in the bottom 10 draft some more top of the lineup players and make a push for the splash FA signing in 25/26?

Let Michkov develop while taking some lumps, so he gets a nice chip on his shoulder. 

Based on the salary cap strategy of just not giving a rat's ass until 2026, it almost makes sense to hold off on making a big splash this season-

Should this Michkov business be accelerated. 

10 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

both are older than Konecny

Necas just turned 25 in January.

Not sure if the Canes will let him go or not.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Necas just turned 25 in January.

Not sure if the Canes will let him go or not.

Flyers could use a good RW.

:hocky:

• Haha 2
  • Uggh... 1

Just now, mojo1917 said:

The website lists him as a C

He's playing RW in the playoffs.

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/teams/carolina-hurricanes/line-combinations

CapFriendly has him as a RW

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/hurricanes

But you are correct, he has played some C this year.

Jus' pokin' Occ on his RW obsession :hocky:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, radoran said:

Flyers could use a good RW.

It's like you've never heard of a winger being able to play center too.

You know like how RW Owne Tippett is a LW now.

Or RW Tyson Foerster is a LW.

Like LW Noah Cates played center.

Come on homie use your cranial sponge.

:smileyandcomputer:

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

It's like you've never heard of a winger being able to play center too.

You know like how RW Owne Tippett is a LW now.

Or RW Tyson Foerster is a LW.

Like LW Noah Cates played center.

Come on homie use your cranial sponge.

:smileyandcomputer:

Foerster played LW almost as much as RW in junior...so it's no big leap for him. Centre is an entirely different position than wing, way more difficult. 

That's why I always played wing. 😁

1 minute ago, flyercanuck said:

Centre is an entirely different position than wing, way more difficult. 

Dude, you can totally OJT being a #1C in the NHL.

Worked out great for the Flyers last time.

Lather. Rinse. Repeat!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

In typical Flyers fashion, nothing can go the way it's supposed to...example, guys don't just get injured they get the rarest form of cancer known to western medicine.

Now the 3 year project may turn into a 1 year project. In my PJMGT class we call this "crashing the schedule".

So, should whatever need to happen for Michkov-mania to begin next season; what do people think should be done with the roster?

Do the Flyers trade for a youngish #1 C, 

Does it change the Konecny extension strategy?

Do the Flyers try to sign a FA 1C for a "few" years. Pie in the sky version of this, sign Stamkos for a short term high dollar contract.  That's unrealistic probably.

Do the Flyers try to offer-sheet a young guy who is blocked or under-appreciated, Cole Perfetti ? 

Do the Flyers try to make a move for some of the Carolina forwards who are deemed expendable since a big bill is coming due this summer.  People have mentioned Necas, or Teravainen both are older than Konecny but they are good players. I don't think Jarvis or Drury will be available but maybe some of these near 30s guys could be in play.

Any of the Tronno core guys worth kicking a tire on ? Marner or Wille? i don't think Auston is going anywhere.

Or, do the Flyers wait a season, finish in the bottom 10 draft some more top of the lineup players and make a push for the splash FA signing in 25/26?

Let Michkov develop while taking some lumps, so he gets a nice chip on his shoulder. 

Based on the salary cap strategy of just not giving a rat's ass until 2026, it almost makes sense to hold off on making a big splash this season-

Should this Michkov business be accelerated. 

Rushing the so-called 'rebuild" just because your 19 year old might come over would be such a Flyer move. 

I'd be all for trading for a young #1C to help Michkov reach his potential...who the heck is trading one away? 

Love Konecny, still would trade him for an overpay. 

Signing Stamkos? SMH. Please...no more Chuck Fletcher/Paul Holmgren type moves....EVER!

The team should be built for Michkovs prime years. Not for now! Of course, we all know what the "braintrust" will do. LETS GO FOR IT....MICHKOV MIGHT BE COMING!

Why would we want guys like Marner who are being roasted for not showing up when it actually matters?

YES to your comment after that, and no the the very last one.

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

Of course, we all know what the "braintrust" will do. LETS GO FOR IT....MICHKOV MIGHT BE COMING!

Perhaps this is some more of your patented sarcasm, but I don't get the impression Danny goes off half-cocked now that he can't slash a bitch.

I think the timing of the decision will play a big part of what is going to happen. 

I don't think he's contacting Pat Brisson about Stammer's interest- without knowing Michkov is in the US.

He hasn't acted like that yet.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Foerster played LW almost as much as RW in junior...so it's no big leap for him. Centre is an entirely different position than wing, way more difficult. 

That's why I always played wing. 😁

Doesn't matter you can move guys around let the coaches do their thing.

If it works it works.

11 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Doesn't matter you can move guys around let the coaches do their thing.

If it works it works.

Foerester is gonna be deadly on the off wing in the Ovechkin trigger position, especially if we ever develop a good PP . It’s easier to move wings around  from left to to right, and vice versa, but trying to create a top 2 center from a winger is very tough, they gotta not only learn to take faceoffs, but actually win more than they lose and the defensive responsibilities are a lot. I can’t name any wingers who were turned into top centers at all. The best chance we have for getting a center is by trading TK to a team that has lots of centers and wants a good scoring winger. As mentioned in previous threads , nobody is giving up an established top two center for a RW, but they may give up an unproven prospect . Anaheim might fit that bill and I’m sure they would probably try and offer Zegras  over McTavish. There are lots of teams that would want TK but whether or not they have a good young center to offer is another story. The other thing is to trade up for a center in this draft, Cayden Lindstrom is a big skilled guy, but I’m reading that a lot of scouts think he will be a wing and doesn’t have what it takes to be a center in the NHL. I guess we should go defense with our 12th pick and hopefully get Yakemchuck and then go center in the following draft or with the FLA pick, but at 28, it’s a long shot to nab a #2 center.

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

I burned some sage 🫶

Edited by Cheesesteak
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

Foerester is gonna be deadly on the off wing in the Ovechkin trigger position, especially if we ever develop a good PP . It’s easier to move wings around  from left to to right, and vice versa, but trying to create a top 2 center from a winger is very tough, they gotta not only learn to take faceoffs, but actually win more than they lose and the defensive responsibilities are a lot. I can’t name any wingers who were turned into top centers at all. The best chance we have for getting a center is by trading TK to a team that has lots of centers and wants a good scoring winger. As mentioned in previous threads , nobody is giving up an established top two center for a RW, but they may give up an unproven prospect . Anaheim might fit that bill and I’m sure they would probably try and offer Zegras  over McTavish. There are lots of teams that would want TK but whether or not they have a good young center to offer is another story. The other thing is to trade up for a center in this draft, Cayden Lindstrom is a big skilled guy, but I’m reading that a lot of scouts think he will be a wing and doesn’t have what it takes to be a center in the NHL. I guess we should go defense with our 12th pick and hopefully get Yakemchuck and then go center in the following draft or with the FLA pick, but at 28, it’s a long shot to nab a #2 center.

Doesn't matter

after just looking over the last 20 Cup winners

you pretty much have to have a #1 or #2 overall on the roster to win a Cup.

Only teams that didn't was Blues but they had a #3 and #4 overall on them.

And the 2003 Devils but they had the 3rd and 5th overall picks on their team.

So yeah if they ain't winning a Cup who cares.