Add Tortorella to the list that rips Pens, Malkin & Crosby

Guest Digityman

not the worst article I've ever read from Brooks.

jeez between him and Milbury making some sense the past week...maybe the Mayans were right, the world will end this December. For now it seems to be spinning the other way a little bit.

At some point...some point ... maybe after a handful well-known hockey guys (yes, all with their own agenda) describe the same behavior by an organization and by the NHL ... maybe it's time to consider the truth of those observations.

Just because Milbury is a clown, Brooks is a hack, Cherry is Cherry...Torts and Lavy are playing the "gamesmanship" role - I'm not sure that means we should reject their statements out-of-hand.

• Like 1

Aside from all the weird alliances it's created at least the media is talking about it. Sift through the personal agendas and exaggerations and you're left with what appears to be some disturbing trends. We all know stars are "protected" in every sport at every level, but these stories imply that the Pens' organization gets preferential treatment.

That's a serious accusation and probably impossible to prove. But as Brooks noted there is that nagging "smell test..."

jeez between him and Milbury making some sense the past week...maybe the Mayans were right, the world will end this December. For now it seems to be spinning the other way a little bit.

Well, there were Rangers fans cheering for the Flyers. That's as sure a sign as any.

@canoli By the way, who is that avatar? She looks really familiar, but it's a tiny pic...

@SpikeDDS

<< And as for Milbury, why on earth would Milbury apologize for his comments except that the league doesn't want announcers mocking their golden boy? >>

Torts apologized for his comments after the Winter Classic. He basically said the league colluded with NBC to the benefit of the Flyers.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=384232

Does that mean the Flyers are the league's "golden team"? (Note: Didn't see any Flyers fans agreeing with Torts then like they are now.)

Renny just got fined for saying the Oilers didn't get calls because the league wants Hollywood (i.e. - the Kings) in the playoffs.

So now the league hates the Oilers and loves the Kings are the "golden team"?

I mean really people...

Then you missed the whole point of my post. The point was that the league protects PLAYERS, not teams. Where Milbury is relevant is that he's talking about Crosby, not the Pens. He didn't even accuse the league of anything, IIRC. He just dissed Crosby. And suddenly he's apologizing. You don't suppose the league had anything to do with that, do you? ;-P

Tortorella was accusing the league of colluding to give the Flyers an advantage, which the league is gonna have something to say about no matter what team is being talked about. They are gonna come down on that kind of talk pretty much universally.

Apples and oranges comparison.

What were you saying about offsides again?

LMAO. Unlike certain people (Ted.....cough cough....Zep....cough) I will rarely pin a loss on a single solitary play that happened with a period and a half left in the game. Still had a 3-1 lead well into the 3rd. 3 players had a chance to prevent to goal in OT (Letang whiffed on the puck, Fleury missed a chance to cover and Staal...no idea...must have been looking at all the bear costumes in the stands). Terrible call? Absolutely. Briere was in the luxury boxes when the puck crossed the line. The goal started a "trickle" of momentum in favor of the Flyers but in no way did that cost the Pens the game.

That said, it's another arrow in my take-your-bias-and-shove-it quiver for whoever needs smacked around on that topic again. ;)

That said, it's another arrow in my take-your-bias-and-shove-it quiver for whoever needs smacked around on that topic again

Fair enough, but all it did was wash the botched icing that led to a goal for Pittsburgh. I just think the refs were poor in general last night in that regard, but they let them play physically and I appreciate that. I like a game with a lot of physical play.

Fair enough, but all it did was wash the botched icing that led to a goal for Pittsburgh. I just think the refs were poor in general last night in that regard, but they let them play physically and I appreciate that. I like a game with a lot of physical play.

I'd say that offsides was a "tad" bit worse than the botched icing. The offside was not even close. The icing looked like a benefit of doubt call by the official...but Dupuis' stick was close enough where I can see why one official waived it off. That happens all the time. Schenn (I think it was him) also got away with one late in the 3rd when he was obviously lolligagging back to the puck to see if he could get the icing call...and he did. It happens.

I actually thought the officiating was pretty good. They let them play...cleanly Lots of big LEGAL hits by both teams...hits to the body with the elbows in and sticks down. Who would have thunk it. I had no issue with any of the penalties called, either.

The only flagrant missed call was Simmonds' knee to the back of Fleury's leg in the first. Dangerous...and frankly, dirty.

@B21

That botched icing directly led to a goal just like the offsides. I'd call that a wash. They were both bad calls.

Not as "directly"...offside...BAM...breakaway. No icing...play moves to the Flyers end...goal. Agree to disagree.

The only flagrant missed call was Simmonds' knee to the back of Fleury's leg in the first. Dangerous...and frankly, dirty.

Was it really a knee? I barely remember the play. Let's check the video evidence before we pronounce "dirty play"

NTTAWWT - I generally like running goalies, but not in a dirty way :)

@Podein25

I didn't see Simmonds' knee on Fleury, but I did notice Crosby's flagrant embellishment on that Jagr "interference" penalty.

My feeling was that both teams got away with some pretty questionable plays last night. I'm just glad the Flyers came out on top!

Then you missed the whole point of my post. The point was that the league protects PLAYERS, not teams. Where Milbury is relevant is that he's talking about Crosby, not the Pens. He didn't even accuse the league of anything, IIRC. He just dissed Crosby. And suddenly he's apologizing. You don't suppose the league had anything to do with that, do you? ;-P

Tortorella was accusing the league of colluding to give the Flyers an advantage, which the league is gonna have something to say about no matter what team is being talked about. They are gonna come down on that kind of talk pretty much universally.

Apples and oranges comparison.

Apples and oranges...but still fruit.

Was it really a knee? I barely remember the play. Let's check the video evidence before we pronounce "dirty play"

NTTAWWT - I generally like running goalies, but not in a dirty way :)

Looked like he could have avoided him. Way behind the play. No other players around. Fleury within his line of site. But feel free to check the video. :)

the simmonds play on fleury was a clever little shot.

17 kind of dragged his skate through the crease , just kind of where fleury was standing and he sort of let his skate "bump" fleury... kind of like a an almost slew foot except it was from the side... it was definitely a sneaky dirty play, but i didn't see simmonds go after his knee. but hey maybe bylsma should have thought of that before he put him out there...

now if kennedy had done that to Bryz. he should be shot.

• Like 2

the simmonds play on fleury was a clever little shot.

17 kind of dragged his skate through the crease , just kind of where fleury was standing and he sort of let his skate "bump" fleury... kind of like a an almost slew foot except it was from the side... it was definitely a sneaky dirty play, but i didn't see simmonds go after his knee. but hey maybe bylsma should have thought of that before he put him out there...

now if kennedy had done that to Bryz. he should be shot.

LOL. Not complaining about it...per se...but you know if that was the other way around Teddy the Asterisk would be all over it. ;)

Another arrow in my quiver. ;)

Is that the one where Fleury flopped like he just got hit with a stun gun? Bwahahaha just ******* with ya, I didn't see it as particularly egregious, but I haven't a seen a replay either

The botched offsides on Briere's goal was a little bigger IMO than you seemed to say to in another post

Is that the one where Fleury flopped like he just got hit with a stun gun? Bwahahaha just ******* with ya, I didn't see it as particularly egregious, but I haven't a seen a replay either

The botched offsides on Briere's goal was a little bigger IMO than you seemed to say to in another post

Touche! Agree on the botched offsides...much bigger than Simmonds on Fleury.