The Bad News

Guest trevluk

You serious? What series you watching? Bryz is A+. The real issue Is no defense and backing in, we are missing 1/2 Pronger/Mez, and forwards slow getting back.

wow, you posted that today? Oh wait, okay, you posted that before the game today. I only caught the lowlights of Bryzgalov's D- performance today so if he was an A+ before (in your eyes only) then he's a middle-of-the-pack C now. And that would be a generous reading of it, grading on a curve and all...

Considering that these are 2 of the most potent offenses in the league and the Flyers are down 2 of their top 3 blueliners and still up 3-0, I'm giving Bryz an emphatic pass. There's been very few weak ones, but considering who's taking some of those shots and the eyes that the Pens pucks seem to have, I can forgive him.

1 more game.

@Clarke2Leach

The 4th goal was an absolute back breaker though. He [bryz] just basically gave up on the puck. I don't blame it all on him, but let's be honest, if we were down 0-3 in this series, this message board would implode.

They (the team collectively) are going to have to tighten it up in the next round (assuming we get there; which I am) and play solid defense.

In an ideal world. The Rangers beat the Senators, Washington Beats the Bruins, We win, Devils win.

We get the Debbies, NY gets the Capitals.

Keeping my eye on the prize.

Edited by Bertmega

Yesterday's goals were the first ones I really fault Bryzgalov on - he could have made a few saves he didn't in the first couple games, but the ones that got through weren't real groaners like we saw in January/February, or yesterday. The fourth was especially maddening because he had it, if he had just stayed down, but then he stood up and it trickles through. I don't know what he was looking at there.

@Bertmega

If it was a backbreaker, the backs would have broke. I was swearing at him when it happened, but he's still been making some really important stops. I think the Flyers have figured out what it takes to win this series and the next series will have an altered plan dependent on who we play. It will account for the Flyers' strengths so it won't be a huge departure, but it will also consider the opponent's strenths and weaknesses.

Wow, really going out on a limb there, C2L!

I guess I just save my angst for the time between the opening puck drop and the final whistle. I'm pretty happy with wins in the playoffs no matter how they happen.

@Clarke2Leach

I hear you a win is a win. I don't blame anything on Bryz, but the lapse in concentration must be addressed on his part. Somehow they are winning. I never thought you could spot Pittsburgh 2-3 goals and win, but they figured it out and are outright embarrassing the Penguins in the process.

• Like 1

I'm not sure I agree with your take on Lundqvist at all. He has an incredible knack for making momentum changing saves on a regular basis, and never seems to go cold.

He does have two silvers at Worlds and a gold at the Olympics backstopping Sweden, so it can't all be the Rangers system.

Personally, I think Lundqvist is actually the best goalie in the league, who happens to play for a solid defensive team. Even better than Carey Price.

Perhaps you're right about Lundqvist. I hadn't considered his Olympic and international play. I still say the system makes him look better than he is, as it would most goalies. It makes his job easier.

I'd actually give the nod for best goaltender to Pekka Rinne right now. He's on fire! And I'm not just saying that because he's stonewalling my Wings. The Preds have not been the team the Rangers have been, but they are starting to come on now. Yet he's still facing a bunch of shots and making those timely saves we all want our goaltenders to give us. The save on Zetterburg in Game 1 comes to mind for me.

Unfortunately, I think they'll take the series, and if so other teams better take note. Dude's a wall! A very BIG wall!

I did notice that you did not put Howard on the list............what are you a realist? :huh:

I noticed that too, actually! Thought about it, but not for long. If we were talking about this before his injuries this season, I WOULD have listed him in the top tier. He's not been bad. He's been solid, and at times spectacular. He hasn't played badly in this series at all. But only in his last few regular season games would I say he was looking like he was returning to form. Realistically, I'd put him solidly in the level below the top one right now. Very good, but to be fair not playing at Quick's or Rinne's level. The only time Rinne has looked bad at all this series was when Datsyuk schooled Josi and tucked one in before Rinne even knew what was happening. Otherwise, Rinne has outplayed Howard so far in this series.

Dang it!

:)

So a rough top tier of Lundqvist, Quick, Rinne, and Price seems reasonable hm?

Yeah, and Thomas I guess. Certainly on any given night he is at the top.

But the first 3 you list are def top 3 right now

I think Thomas is more a product of his system

fwiw, i think it's the opposite: the bruin's system (it's reputation for effectiveness, anyway) is a product of thomas. thomas is a mutant.

Chara covers an entire zone by himself for half of the game. The forwards all back check, and guys are rarely out of position. Hard to score when you're knocked over.

It's also why their offense sucks, heavy effective commitment to team defense.

Not a fan of Price?

I think Thomas is more a product of his system, and even then, he is streaker in my opinion. Based on the eye test anyway. Tier two for him would be appropriate I think.

The one thing I like about Lundqvist is his consistency. The others we are talking about have more ups and downs. Quick is playing out of his body right now, but there are times when he looks average. Thomas and Price are similar IMHO. At times this season, they have looked average.

Henrik looks pretty good most if not all the time, very consistent. I think Rinne is starting to play like that also. The more he plays, the better he's getting. I think the consistency is what makes the top tier stand out more. Lots of goalies have hot streaks. They are fun to watch. Quick's in the zone right now. So is Rinne to some degree. But I think Rinne's overall game is more consistent than Quick's, although right now I'm not sure I'd want to face Quick before Rinne.

Howard needs more time to show his consistency. Don't get me wrong, he's a very good goaltender, and I'm glad we have him. Wouldn't put him in the same tier as these guys...yet.

A top-tier goaltender is analogous to Nick Lidstrom. When they finally do make a mistake, it's notable. When Nick Lidstrom makes a defensive mistake, very frequently announcers will comment something like, "Folks, remember this. Nick Lidstrom just made a mistake. That doesn't happen very often." When you can say that about a goalie, they are top tier.

Chara covers an entire zone by himself for half of the game. The forwards all back check, and guys are rarely out of position. Hard to score when you're knocked over.

that certainly is the reputation. the bruins lose when thomas (or rask) isn't at the top of his game, though. rangers, same thing: the team built a defensive reputation this season on the back of top flight goaltending, with credit inappropriately spread around, imo.