What are the offseason moves?

Guest activestick

and I'm afraid Ryan Suter isn't the answer to our need for a "stud D-man." Maybe I just don't like him much but his commitment to positioning seems to waver during the games I watched. He seems to think he can make up for it with his speed and that only works some of the time.

I don't know what Homer will do but I sure hope "moving heaven and earth" to get Suter isn't part of his plan.

and I'm afraid Ryan Suter isn't the answer to our need for a "stud D-man." Maybe I just don't like him much but his commitment to positioning seems to waver during the games I watched. He seems to think he can make up for it with his speed and that only works some of the time.

oh so he's like the breck girl from pittsburgh... plus how physical is he ? i have always thought of him as carle with a better shot. no mean streak, skates great, good outlets and tough to beat off the rush a for sure good player but not a stud #1. plus i'll bet weber won't be as good with out him too, that is a pairing, sort of like seabrook and duncan for chi.

i dunno do you make a stop gap move for a 3-4 million a year rugged guy and then throw big bucks at weber in '13 ? he's a UFA then all it will take is money. i like the thought of only giving up someone else's money.

@doom88

Sure. But I think we can stop using the Pronger card...I'd say he's done. Like I said, coaching was only part of the reason. But he's got to change his strategy when it's not working.

Agreed, but that is 5m of cap you can't replace with an equal player during the season, and quite frankly, you cannot replace Pronger.

It changes the team, and the constant stream of injuries doesn't help. In my opinion, sticking with one system, with so many rookies and new players, is good for development and cohesion. It allows for easy insertion of players when necessary, and corrections in technique are consistent.

i don't see the flyer's going after any FA forwards unless all of their D plan fall through. then we might be looking at them targeting parise. i think i'd be ok with that, but obviously D should be first. i don't see any scenario of them going after Nash. if they are going to spend assets and commit to salary, it will be the best D man they can get.

now nashville makes a very interesting and viable trade partner because of homer's history with Poille and they're surplus of quality D. they could use some upcoming offensive prospects that they can fit under their cap. it seems highly unlikely that they will be able to sign Suter AND Weber to huge long-term deals and that's what they'll both be after. so a lot will depend what happens with Suter. if he resigns to nash for a huge deal, they might be willing to take offers for Weber in his final year before RFA. we'd need to give up a lot to get Weber... obviously. We're talkin JVR, Schenn and probably a D man. and then.. we're not guaranteed to sign him after next year.. but you can bet he'll be north of $7m/yr. what makes this possible is that Timo's money comes off the books after next year. Prongs will be LTIR and losing whatever salary we'd lose in a trade makes this scenario fairly possible.

if i'm Nashville, i think Weber would have to be my priority.. he's a franchise player. i'm not so high on Suter even though he's an all-star player. i'd rather the flyer's break the bank for a Weber. he's the shutdown, crease clearing physical presence the flyers so desperately need right now.

Saw this nugget and it is intriguing.

"incidentally, if the Flyers are not able to land a top-pairing defenseman from Nashville, I think they will go heavily after Devils' unrestricted free agent forward Zach Parise and trade from among other their forwards to improve their blueline depth."

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=44383&blogger_id=45

so a top line of giroux parise and what hartnell or voras.

parise would look pretty good in the O/B his style would open the ice for 28, he's a high motor guy with leadership experience. that would be pretty cool.

not sure then whom to give up to trade for a high pedigree defenseman, a combination of young guys probably, maybe schenn and simmonds... plus picks, that would bum me out since i like both those guys, i would think that couterier is not available, maybe mix in an expiring contract guy like briere or hartnell ?

needless to say i hadn't considered this parise angle but it does kind of make me feel funny, in a good way.

I can't get behind bringing Parise to Philly. Parise is a Devil, always has been. I hope he wants no part of the Flyers. We want to invest >$6mil / year in a guy we really don't need?

We're strong on forwards. Parise is a big cap hit, forcing us to let Jake go, Carle too. If we're worried about replacing Jagr let Jake skate the top line with G and Hartnell. I think those 3 would be as good or better than Harts-G-Jagr.

The Flyers' biggest need is unfortunately out of their control - they need their mega-bucks goalie to play like an NHL goaltender. Get consistently "good" or "average" goaltending, tweak the Attack system a bit and we're okay defensively. Go thru another up and down Bryzaster year, with more Leighton-esque goals against and we're hosed once again.

What a shame we're tied to this clown for so long...our rookies will come into their own and establish themselves, while the Big QuestionMark in net is still the elephant in the locker room.

@canoli

I agree. While I would love to see Rick Nash or Parise wearing O&B, these are not where our needs are. We need a stud d-man and one mid-caliber winger to replace Jagr. And we need Bryzgalov to play better, which I am not sure he can.

@doom88

Like I said, coaching was only part of the reason. But he's got to change his strategy when it's not working.

It's funny, I was saying the exact same thing about Bylsma during the Pens/Flyers series. Sure, Fleury having a complete meltdown didn't help matters, and a normally solid PK taking the entire series off was unacceptable. But it seemed like Bylsma was completely unwilling to waiver from his system, even though it was obvious for long stretches that it just wasn't getting the job done.

It's funny, I was saying the exact same thing about Bylsma during the Pens/Flyers series. Sure, Fleury having a complete meltdown didn't help matters, and a normally solid PK taking the entire series off was unacceptable. But it seemed like Bylsma was completely unwilling to waiver from his system, even though it was obvious for long stretches that it just wasn't getting the job done.

I'll agree with this as well. I was baffled I didn't see a change during the course of the series. Obviously I'm glad the way things worked out but it did seem to me that a change was glaringly necessary however one was not made.

Edited by Spinorama
  • Like 1

@flyercanuck

I agree completely. Going into these playoffs I really didn't second-guess that aspect of the game for either team. Sure, I expect "potholes" from time to time, but like you said, Lavi and Bylsma are good coaches, and I just didn't imagine that coaching would end up being *that* much of a liability, if you want to call it that. In the Pens case, especially, I certainly think it was.

I can't get behind bringing Parise to Philly. Parise is a Devil, always has been. I hope he wants no part of the Flyers. We want to invest >$6mil / year in a guy we really don't need?

We're strong on forwards. Parise is a big cap hit, forcing us to let Jake go, Carle too. If we're worried about replacing Jagr let Jake skate the top line with G and Hartnell. I think those 3 would be as good or better than Harts-G-Jagr.

The Flyers' biggest need is unfortunately out of their control - they need their mega-bucks goalie to play like an NHL goaltender. Get consistently "good" or "average" goaltending, tweak the Attack system a bit and we're okay defensively. Go thru another up and down Bryzaster year, with more Leighton-esque goals against and we're hosed once again.

What a shame we're tied to this clown for so long...our rookies will come into their own and establish themselves, while the Big QuestionMark in net is still the elephant in the locker room.

Just some of my thoughts on the direction:

Let Carle walk sign Sami Salo (also a right hand shot for the powerplay)for 2-2.5 mill to play with fellow Finn Timonen.

The OLD FINN PAIR!!!!!!!

Axe Lilja and resign Bourdon for around 1 mill.

Let Kubina walk.

That is a start.

Coby/Gross

Kimmo/Salo

Mezz/Bourdon/Gus

I like Garrison as well but i doubt Florida lets him go.

Corey Sarich should be able to be lured away from Calgary for a chance to play in the playoffs. And another right handed shot.

Coby/Gross

Kimmo/Salo

Mezz/Sarich/Bourdon/Gus

My preference.

Also i know Sarich is no young dude and will be 34 next year, and also while he is no sloth he also isn't real fleet of foot but it has to be considered that he hasn't been a negative player on the +/- side since 06-07 on a not so good Tampa team...would be a good not so expensive choice for the blueline.

The defense needs to just let Carle walk he is not what they need to be able to be successful with Bryz in net...size a crease clearing presence. Sarich is 6-4 and Carle is generously listed @6 foot yeah...and SOFT!!!!

Why not sign Hal Gill too? He's old and slow, but if he connects he can hit.

Seriously, Sami Salo and ancient Sarich? Because Carle is "soft"? Timonen doesn't put guys through glass, guess the Flyers should drop him too.

Then when every forward in the league blows by our defenders while they're backing into their own zone, you will get to watch more easy goals on Bryz. Not to mention the extra obstruction penalties that D group would take. Or the extended periods stuck in the D zone when no one can make an outlet pass, or any pass under pressure.

Maybe then, people will appreciate Carle, maybe.

It's not the 90s anymore. Defense is more than big hulking holding hooking crease clearers.

• Like 1

Why not sign Hal Gill too? He's old and slow, but if he connects he can hit.

Seriously, Sami Salo and ancient Sarich? Because Carle is "soft"? Timonen doesn't put guys through glass, guess the Flyers should drop him too.

Then when every forward in the league blows by our defenders while they're backing into their own zone, you will get to watch more easy goals on Bryz. Not to mention the extra obstruction penalties that D group would take. Or the extended periods stuck in the D zone when no one can make an outlet pass, or any pass under pressure.

Maybe then, people will appreciate Carle, maybe.

It's not the 90s anymore. Defense is more than big hulking holding hooking crease clearers.

Isn't that what just happened verse the Devils, i'm suggesting change and you're suggesting they over pay for the same soft turd they weren't getting enough from at 3.75 mill??????????

So now you want to give him 5mill per????

I never said Carle should put anyone through the glass but it would be nice for some clean hits around the crease...