Disappointed

Guest flyercanuck

Let me start off by saying I had full confidence in Holmgren going in to the draft. He's done a nice job of picking players in the first round when he's kept the picks.

On a team overloaded with centers, it's still smart drafting to take the best player available. Scott Laughton? When Maata is still on the board on a team lacking defensive prospects? I'm scratching my head on this one. Not only is Maata rated way more highly (and why the heck did he fall to 22?) than Laughton, there are forwards I would have taken before him. Matheau? Gaunce? Then theres the whole "we traded Mike Richards for the next Mike Richards (Schenn) then drafted a poor mans Mike Richards. Why the heck not just keep the real deal?

I thought when we traded Bobrovsky that we had received Columbus' 2nd, which would be the 1st pick in the 2nd round. I was thinking we could grab Subban, but he went in the first. Instead, we get a guy who was cut TWICE from ECHL teams? I admit I know nothing about this guy. But cut twice from ECHL teams??? Yikes! Oh well, at least he's got size, he seems to be progressing quite fast, and he's NOT Russian.

Ok, so 3rd round we finally draft a defenceman. A big western defensive bruiser, right? No, we drafted a 5 foot 11 160 pound guy from Florida who wasn't picked by anyone the first yeat he was eligible. So he's actually a year older than almost everyone else drafted, and smaller. Yay.

JVR for Schenn? OK...what else do we get? What, straight up? Seriously? I like the idea of dealing from a position of strength for a weakness. But I think we got burned on this one. Lets hope Schenn completely turns his game around playing with his brother. He's physical, that's for sure. But man is he slow. This could be a win-win trade for both teams. But the way these two have underperformed, it may end up being a meh deal.

Laughton may turn out to be a good 3rd liner. I mean a really good 3rd liner. But if Maata turns out to be an allstar, I'm going to be pissed. Not feeling too warm and fuzzy after this draft. I hope I'm dead wrong.

• Like 3

@doom88

Going into the draft I was hoping to have a top Dman fall to us in the 1st and get Subban in the 2nd. Neither happened. And I thought JVR had more value than Schenn, so I'm disappointed. None of us know how any of these players will pan out. I'm just not wowed like last year when Couturier fell to us. I would have been with Maata.

@flyercanuck

I am with you, FC. I am totally underwhelmed by what the Flyers did in the last two days. I don't get Laughton pick. Even if Homer wanted him so bad, like many said, there was a good chance he would still be available in the second round.

And I am quite pissed with JVR trade. It was a foregone conclusion that JVR was a gonner, but for Schenn? Really? Was that the best we could get for Bob and JVR? Late picks and Luke Schenn? These were our two best bargaining chips and that's all we've got? Disappointing.....

I think with JVR gone and Jagr *almost* gone, it's given the Flyers will go after a UFA forward. Boy, I hope it's somebody significant... and I mean *reallly* significant. Otherwise, tI will view this as Homer's worst summer since he became a GM.

@flyercanuck I'm not happy with this draft it seems like Holmgren went for all longshots. I would have preferred Schmaltz or Maata or Gaunce in the first round and Dalton Thrower in the second. A longshot no name goalie is not that imperative,with Bryzjerkoff signed for 9 more years, let's say this kid becomes a hot prospect in 2 years , what good is it,we're stuck with Bfyz ,that's why we dumped Bob in the first place .Bob has as much raw skill as anyone and we gave up on him,all we did was put off a 9 year problem for a couple of more years. If this new kid becomes Brodeur the second,is Bryz any more traceable in a few years with that contract and mental deficiencies. This kid was not so highly touted that we needed to pick a goalie this year.

• Like 2

@='flyercanuck'] I'm not happy with this draft it seems like Holmgren went for all longshots. I would have preferred Schmaltz or Maata or Gaunce in the first round and Dalton Thrower in the second. A longshot no name goalie is not that imperative,with Bryzjerkoff signed for 9 more years, let's say this kid becomes a hot prospect in 2 years , what good is it,we're stuck with Bfyz ,that's why we dumped Bob in the first place .Bob has as much raw skill as anyone and we gave up on him,all we did was put off a 9 year problem for a couple of more years. If this new kid becomes Brodeur the second,is Bryz any more traceable in a few years with that contract and mental deficiencies. This kid was not so highly touted that we needed to pick a goalie this year.

I think you guys Did very poorly in the draft. I think you made out on the JVR for Schenn deal, cuz if I were Burke I'd have wanted a little more for Schenn. Now we'll see what happens with that cap space I suppose. Both the Flyers and the Pens going after Parise maybe?? I'd give us a slight edge there since Parise and Crosby are buddies, but you never know...

@Madog, I agree with you..although this draft was weak one by Holmgren,if we can sign Parise and another dman like the guy from Fla or the college kid from Anaheim and with the addition of Schenn we would have addressed our defensive needs ,especially adding two rightys and also adding a skilled winger for Giroux. This also enables us to dump Carle and then even though the draft picks were lame,we were still able to fill the most important needs for this team.

• Like 2

after having a night to think about Naughton at 20, i'm starting to be okay with it, @ makes a good point when he says the young fella is a couple of years away. that's true, he has a great compete level and work ethic , a good frame to fill into , by the time he's ready , there will probably be a place for him.

I have heard this was a weak draft, that there were lot's of defensmen but overall it is similar to the Patrick Kane JvR class, yapukov (Kane)has can't miss talent but after that the best player might be griffen reinhart (Couture) and a bunch of guys that never quite get there... see vanReimsdyk , James.

maybe this was the draft year to take some gambles.

• Like 1

It's certainly not the NFL draft. Few locks at the top and crapshots throughout. The Flyers scouts appear to be better than Central Scouting more often than not, and I am very sure they know more than we do. How many rookies were playing for the Flyers last year again? How many in recent years? Have a little faith, they have proven their worth.

And seriously, Maata is absolutely not a sure thing. No big loss there yet. Plus, Philly sucks at developing D, but excellent at forwards. Let's wait and see.

Pitt and Was did well, but each had two first round picks. Pitt had to move Staal to get the second one, and I think THAT will burn them. Jordan was an excellent two way center and tough as nails. That hurts Pitt.

• Like 1

Pitt had to move Staal to get the second one, and I think THAT will burn them. Jordan was an excellent two way center and tough as nails. That hurts Pitt.

I don't think it hurt at all. Stall is/was overrated as a two way center. His defense isn't what a lot seem to think it is. Watch enough of his breakdowns and you'll see that. He'll make a good number 2 center, but that's it. The Pens don't need that, they needed a shut down center. Brandon Sutter sure seems to fit that bill and for a two million a year less to start. I think we got better, not worse. And with the cap space freed up... I think they'll make a serious run for Parise, who is a good friend of Crosby's.

I don't think it hurt at all. Stall is/was overrated as a two way center. His defense isn't what a lot seem to think it is. Watch enough of his breakdowns and you'll see that. He'll make a good number 2 center, but that's it. The Pens don't need that, they needed a shut down center. Brandon Sutter sure seems to fit that bill and for a two million a year less to start. I think we got better, not worse. And with the cap space freed up... I think they'll make a serious run for Parise, who is a good friend of Crosby's.

I know what you are saying, but losing Staal does NOT improve your team.

I know what you are saying, but losing Staal does NOT improve your team.

My point is Sutter is going to fill the defensive role better than Staal In my opinion. Plus a couple mil cap space... No distraction in the locker room thinking trades and free agency. Two great prospects on D for the future... And Sutter's offensive production isn't THAT far behind Staal's really. I repeat Staal = overrated. Yes the Pens got better making this deal.

@flyercanuck

I am with you, FC. I am totally underwhelmed by what the Flyers did in the last two days. I don't get Laughton pick. Even if Homer wanted him so bad, like many said, there was a good chance he would still be available in the second round.

And I am quite pissed with JVR trade. It was a foregone conclusion that JVR was a gonner, but for Schenn? Really? Was that the best we could get for Bob and JVR? Late picks and Luke Schenn? These were our two best bargaining chips and that's all we've got? Disappointing.....

I think with JVR gone and Jagr *almost* gone, it's given the Flyers will go after a UFA forward. Boy, I hope it's somebody significant... and I mean *reallly* significant. Otherwise, tI will view this as Homer's worst summer since he became a GM.

This is what bothers me. It seemed we may very well have been able to take Maata in the 1st, Laughton in the 2nd, and Stolarz in the 3rd or 4th. And I honestly thought there could have been a 2nd coming back in the JVR trade. I guess with Holmgren I should be happy he didn't send a 2nd out.

This is what bothers me. It seemed we may very well have been able to take Maata in the 1st, Laughton in the 2nd, and Stolarz in the 3rd or 4th. And I honestly thought there could have been a 2nd coming back in the JVR trade. I guess with Holmgren I should be happy he didn't send a 2nd out.

I agree with you and MD, very underwhelmed by the draft and mildly disappointed with the JVR trade (thought Homer could have gotten a little more). I'm actually cautiously optimistic about Schenn, if the Flyers don't look for him to produce offensively and just allow him to be the physical shut down type that he is he could be a good addition. Don't really like the draft at all though. This team has had a logjam at center for years now, so Homer goes out and gets another one? When he could have addressed a need? Not impressed.

@JackStraw

If Laughton was bpa, then I'd be fine with it. He just doesn't seem like it to me.

But Laughton must have been the best forward on the board. Which obviously fills a void in the near future since he was planning to trade JVR away for a NHL d-man. It is also possible depending on which d-man Holmgren chose to trade for, that he may have needed to give up two forwards. Thus restocking at forward was the priority.

If Carle resigns and Timonen signs one year deals for a couple of more years we have Timo, Coburn, Carle, Grossman, Mezsaros, Schenn, Bourdon, Gustafsson, Manning, and Lauridson, that may be enough for a couple of years.

@hf101 Should be interesting to follow the career trajectory of Brendan Gaunce and Laughton. Both were there for the taking at #20, both forwards. Vancouver ended up getting him at #25....time will tell who got the best player....but my gut says it's Gaunce.

Edited by jammer2

@flyercanuck " This is what bothers me. It seemed we may very well have been able to take Maata in the 1st, Laughton in the 2nd, and Stolarz in the 3rd or 4th. And I honestly thought there could have been a 2nd coming back in the JVR trade. I guess with Holmgren I should be happy he didn't send a 2nd out. "

Yep, that about covers it for me. Tried to get to cute, think they were smarter than everyone else. Who knows what news leaks to them reguarding who so and so likes or might make a move on....but sometimes patience pays off big time at the draft.

A perfect scenaro would have had

1)Matta or Gaunce

2)Laughton

2A)move up to get Thrower

3)still get your goalie in the later rounds

Not sure who you were refering to with the ECHL/being cut...which player was that...oh....and congrats on Pearson being picked at the end of the 1st by the Kings. Great move by LA. At the point they were picking...Pearson was the only guy who could eventually turn into a legit scoring winger. Now that he is on the Cup Champs....chances increase he comes back to Barrie next year.

• Like 1

@flyercanuck Great our goalie of the future can't hold down a EJHL job.....niiiiicee. I thought you said ECHL....I was thinking...is that a not a pro league, how did he get cut by them already?...lol.

Thought Peason still had his overage year. Kids gonna make a good pro, give him a year, he will be playing with the big boys.

Great our goalie of the future can't hold down a EJHL job.....niiiiicee.

You know Jammer, I am not a superstitious person, but I am convinced by now that since Bernie has retired, we somehow got CURSED with that position. It's almost like nothing we do to address that position will actually *ever* get that properly addressed. I almost think if Homer would somehow sign the best goalie in the world (Quick, Rinne, Lundqvist), thta goalie would still find a way to screw up once he puts on O&B uniform. I think a goaltender is not going to win it for us and if we ever succeed in winning the Cup, it will be done by means of other areas/positions.

Edited by Mad Dog