A choking situation

Guest Poulin20

Dont look now but the Flyers on the verge of another blockbuster signing by bringing back Terry Murray for a 5th time in his hockey career.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/flyers/Terry-Murray-close-to-Flyers-return.html

Despite being fired in December by the Kings he will still get a ring and quite obviously now brings that final piece of the puzzle that we need with his Championship pedigree.

Word out of NY, NJ, and Pit is that of trepidation and fear over this move that firmly installs the Flyers as the team to beat in the Eastern Conference.

Can you tell I am stoked about this move? :rolleyes:

@Poulin20

Excellent use of the "Sarcasm tag", btw. But I don't mind getting Murray back in the Flyers organization

"Lombardi said Murray will receive a Stanley Cup ring for his service to the team, despite being fired a full six months before the Kings actually won."

Good for Murray.

@hf101 Classy move by the Kings. Ya know, obviously Murray's tenure didn't end well in Philly...really you could say that about *any* Flyer coach since Freddie the Fog was lerching about. When looking into his career stats, he had 2 and a half really solid seasons in Philly.

Problem I have is this...the Phantoms coach is the *usually* the heir apparent to the Flyers job, a guy waiting in the wings for an inevitable call up....I don't know if I want that, but his experience working with our young kids...that would be a plus!

http://www.hockey-reference.com/coaches/murrate01c.html

Terry Murray would be a big improvement over Lavi. Murray is a real NHL coach.

Another masterpiece by you... Keep on going. At this rate, you might stand a chance to set a new record in off-the-wall type posts.

Another masterpiece by you... Keep on going. At this rate, you might stand a chance to set a new record in off-the-wall type posts.

I was just about to flip out before I read your post Maddog. Lavi is widely considered top class and a Stanley Cup winner with a semi-sub par team. Took the Flyers to the cup finals as a side note...

Ya know, obviously Murray's tenure didn't end well in Philly

?? hmmmmmm, I'm not sure what you mean here. When Stevens was head coach and Murray was the assistant coach, Holmgren got a call from Lombardi to interview Murray for the head coaching job in LA. or so I thought.??

Call me crazy, but it almost seems like an acknowledgment by Homer that a defense-first coach is what wins Cups ;)

He'll give Lavi another kick at the can, but if that falters, I think Murray is the right type of successor coach to install a defensive system and give that a whirl.

Might make our forwards a little more 'boring', but I'd rather win 4 'boring' rounds than win one run-and-gun round against the Pens.

Might make our forwards a little more 'boring', but I'd rather win 4 'boring' rounds than win one run-and-gun round against the Pens.

amen there brother.

I enjoyed the high paced, high spirited and high scoring series, but at the same time, it made me crazy. I couldn't stand knowing that at any minute the tide could shift the other direction. Very entertaining hockey, just not how I want my team advancing through the playoffs. And that doesn't even take into account the wear and tear these guys endured along the way.

by the way, now that Bob is a thing of the past, what will you do with your avatar?

@Spinorama Yeah, you just got the feeling no matter who we faced in the 2nd round, they would have *somewhat* of a normal defense/goaltending situation and would crush us. Nobody could be as bad as Fleury in that series, and no defense could give up 8-10 odd man rushs per game....and all the time Bryz is winning while giving up 5 or 6 goals a game....LOL, take about recipe for disaster.

@Spinorama Going forward, you can see that some type of defensive style is needed to get out of the East. These teams like NJ and NYR and their styles are not going anywhere. Even the Panthers would be dangerous should they add a few pieces. They all play a patient game that bores you to death. The run and gun does not work against these teams. They are to talented at getting the puck out quick....to hard to cycle against. The obvious response is a defensive orientated hockey mind who pays attention to detail. I like Lavi, but he has to evolve to beat this merry band of trappers in the Eastern Confernce.

Dont look now but the Flyers on the verge of another blockbuster signing by bringing back Terry Murray for a 5th time in his hockey career.

http://www.philly.co...ers-return.html

Despite being fired in December by the Kings he will still get a ring and quite obviously now brings that final piece of the puzzle that we need with his Championship pedigree.

Word out of NY, NJ, and Pit is that of trepidation and fear over this move that firmly installs the Flyers as the team to beat in the Eastern Conference.

Can you tell I am stoked about this move? :rolleyes:

Murray must be really desperate for a job to coach the Phantoms..

@Spinorama Going forward, you can see that some type of defensive style is needed to get out of the East. These teams like NJ and NYR and their styles are not going anywhere. Even the Panthers would be dangerous should they add a few pieces. They all play a patient game that bores you to death. The run and gun does not work against these teams. They are to talented at getting the puck out quick....to hard to cycle against. The obvious response is a defensive orientated hockey mind who pays attention to detail. I like Lavi, but he has to evolve to beat this merry band of trappers in the Eastern Confernce.

Unless of course you have a top NHL goalie who can save your arse when you screw up...which we don't.

this merry band of trapper

it sure didn't take long for the league to get back to this did it? Shame too. After the lockout it was supposed to go away but here we are and it's back and relevant once again.

but it is here and you're right, Lavi most of all needs to adjust.

Edited by Spinorama

it sure didn't take long for the league to get back to this did it? Shame too. After the lockout it was supposed to go away but here we are and it's back and relevant once again.

but it is here and you're right, Lavi most of all needs to adjust.

It's been a well-known and established fact throughout virtually all of organized sport (caveat: I don't consider the NBA "organized") that "defense wins championships."

You don't have to like it, you don't have to want to watch it, you don't have to like the teams or players that play that style.

But it does win...

But it does win...

one need only look toward Devils pre-lockout for evidence of this.

no, I am not that big of a fan of defensive games. that said, I am a fan of winning and if it takes 16 1-0 wins then guess what? I'll take it!