Philly.Com Article - 5 Reasons the Flyers Are a Better Team

Guest idahophilly

@Podein25

the back surgery thing has me a little worried. by a little i mean like a lot really, everything kind of goes through the back all the motions all the nerves, i hope he's healed properly before he puts one skate on the ice.

Ey rite gud. Ey wunta rite fer bleechar reepord too.

Carl suks munkees

Layton iz heer onlee fer Bryz so two half butter shelf-asteam

Glad wee dint spent two mutch moanie.

Dah kiddz wernt ben traitored.

Kant wate fer dah seizuron.

Lee ent.

Sea? Ey kin rite gut arctical.

• Like 1

Greetings:

I think there is some truth to this piece. Sometimes addition by subtraction works. I like the fact we preserved the core. Carle at 5.5 million seems a bit overdone. I don't think JVR would pan out and Yagr played his one year of mentoring. So, this piece is OK...but the bit on Leighton..agreed there is some overkill. But I also think some here only remember the bizarre final goal but forget Leighton's work getting us into the playoffs.

Best,

Howie

• Like 1

@Howie58 G'Day Howie, hope you are well. Leighton is not a problem. If Bryz gets hurt (or sucks more then last season) leaky can be waved back to the Phantoms without the worry of being claimed and we (the Flyers) can just grab one of the many Goalies without a job.

@Howie58 G'Day Howie, hope you are well. Leighton is not a problem. If Bryz gets hurt (or sucks more then last season) leaky can be waved back to the Phantoms without the worry of being claimed and we (the Flyers) can just grab one of the many Goalies without a job.

Dear Oz:

It's nice to hear from the "old timers" on Philly.com. I hope all is well on the other side of the world. Your winemaker, Jacobs Creek, is blitzing the airwaves on a cable station. Very cost-effective stuff! The world is indebted to your country for Shiraz.

You rationale is good. I suspect Homer didn't want to shell out more than a million for a backup. My first choice would have been Clemmenson but the Panthers resigned him. Hedberg stayed with Jersey. I suspect Leighton will not be a total loss. Our organization's lack of goaltending development comes through loud and clear on this issue.

Peace,

Howie

Did you know that Carle's stats without Pronger are better than he had with him?

That is a complete fallacy. You are stretching my friend.

Carle with the Flyers:

08-09: 24 pts +2

09-10: 35 pts +19*

10-11: 40 pts +30*

11-12: 38 pts +3

*= when Carle played full time with Pronger.

What pronger did was cover up allot of Carle's mistakes in the d-end. We can take an argument about the value of +/- elsewhere, but when a guy goes from a CAREER +6 (not average, but total) in the 6 seaons he did not play with pronger (including this past season), to a +49 in the two years he did play with pronger- that says a TON.

Also, his career best in points is 42 (with San Jose). He scored 35 and 40 while playing with pronger. Last year without pronger he had 38.

Can you explain why you think his stats are better without pronger?

I'll find the article pointing out the stats again... I posted it weeks ago. Seems like a lifetime. lol. I'll try to find it again for you.

I gave you the stats. If you are going to go for that Korsi type stuff, don't waist your time. I know that there is more than points, +/-. I also understand Korsi (to an extent).

Go look up what you had. But at the end of the day, Pronger made Carle a better player while he played aside him. To say anything different is a disingenuous.

I gave you the stats. If you are going to go for that Korsi type stuff, don't waist your time. I know that there is more than points, +/-. I also understand Korsi (to an extent).

Go look up what you had. But at the end of the day, Pronger made Carle a better player while he played aside him. To say anything different is a disingenuous.

In the end, every offensive minded d-man usually has a solid defense first partner. I think your Club would do better with Coburn or Grossman next to Carle than the aged Pronger. It's time for Pronger to stud in the field. I guess it's all moot... I'll be interested to see your prospects step in and see if there are any up and coming stars on D.

... But I also think some here only remember the bizarre final goal but forget Leighton's work getting us into the playoffs.

Best,

Howie

Hi Howie,

Hope you're well. Leighton, I don't forget. What he did wasn't enough, for me, to wash over the repulsive stench of a lousy goalie he was when he got here. I was never impressed and yapped about him from the day he arrived, through the debacle of a Cup-winning goal scored by Kane while standing in line at the pretzel stand on the concourse, through the lies of his injury, etc. I know this horse is in the glue factory and I really ought to stop beating it, but one more time: 7 or 8 times WAIVED and traded for a 7th rounder. He's not an NHL goalie. I don't trust him as a starter, a backup, or a caddy. I'd rather they'd signed Dominic Roussel.

I summary: I really dislike him. (all that said, if OZflyer is right and the need for a goalie comes up and they scrap Leighton and sign someone, then I guess I'll take some Pepto and wait quietly)

That is a complete fallacy. You are stretching my friend.

Carle with the Flyers:

08-09: 24 pts +2

09-10: 35 pts +19*

10-11: 40 pts +30*

11-12: 38 pts +3

*= when Carle played full time with Pronger.

What pronger did was cover up allot of Carle's mistakes in the d-end. We can take an argument about the value of +/- elsewhere, but when a guy goes from a CAREER +6 (not average, but total) in the 6 seaons he did not play with pronger (including this past season), to a +49 in the two years he did play with pronger- that says a TON.

Also, his career best in points is 42 (with San Jose). He scored 35 and 40 while playing with pronger. Last year without pronger he had 38.

Can you explain why you think his stats are better without pronger?

Van, I don't know if he was better or not...really have no idea. I'd find it hard to believe (that he was actually better without). That said, your stats miss his point. You're showing year totals. He's saying that Carle had better numbers in games in which Pronger didn't play than in those he did. You'd almost have to back game by game over the last two or three seasons (or however many both have been here) and tally the stats for Carle in games that Pronger was in against those Pronger wasn't.

Season totals won't prove/disprove his statement...although they seem to go a LONG way since Carle's numbers in the seasons Pronger played nearly full seasons are vastly better than those in which he didn't.

Van, I don't know if he was better or not...really have no idea. I'd find it hard to believe (that he was actually better without). That said, your stats miss his point. You're showing year totals. He's saying that Carle had better numbers in games in which Pronger didn't play than in those he did. You'd almost have to back game by game over the last two or three seasons (or however many both have been here) and tally the stats for Carle in games that Pronger was in against those Pronger wasn't.

Season totals won't prove/disprove his statement...although they seem to go a LONG way since Carle's numbers in the seasons Pronger played nearly full seasons are vastly better than those in which he didn't.

You are right in I missed the point game to game and those with versus those with out. I am far too lazy to go game to game. There are a couple of things I will stand by:

1) Pronger helped cover up gaffes by Carle in the defensive zone.

2) Pronger also allowed Carle to be activated sooner as Pronger has / had an excellent breakout pass and was great at stretching the d to allow Carle to move into the center ice zone quicker than normal.

I am not a Carle basher. I just think that his defensive liabilities of Carle were minimized greatly when playing with Pronger versus other partners he has had.

You are right in I missed the point game to game and those with versus those with out. I am far too lazy to go game to game. There are a couple of things I will stand by:

1) Pronger helped cover up gaffes by Carle in the defensive zone.

2) Pronger also allowed Carle to be activated sooner as Pronger has / had an excellent breakout pass and was great at stretching the d to allow Carle to move into the center ice zone quicker than normal.

I am not a Carle basher. I just think that his defensive liabilities of Carle were minimized greatly when playing with Pronger versus other partners he has had.

I don't blame you for not going game by game. It's not laziness. It's called having a life. I won't argue with any of your points. I think they're valid. I'm far from a Carle basher, but I don't care who the player is, playing with Pronger has to make you better. I'd be stunned to actually see any stats backing up the idea Carle was better without him.