Update: Couturier released from hospital; re-evaluated 12/19

Guest hf101

WELLS FARGO CENTER — It just doesn’t end for the Flyers. Another injury came for a team that can ill afford any more. With 48.7 seconds left in the first period, Sean Couturier went down and needed the help of trainer Jim McCrossin to get up.

Kimmo Timonen took a slapshot from the point and it continued to rise. Couturier turned his head and the puck struck him in the back of his head, on the left side of his helmet. After laying on the ice for a few moments, Couturier was helped up and skated off under his own power, drawing the loudest cheer of the day for Flyers fans who saw their team go down 4-0 after one period of play.

Through Saturday’s game the Flyers have lost 83 man games to injury, not including Blair Betts and Ian Laperriere, both of whom are on the roster but have not suited up this season.

At the start of the second period, general manager Paul Holmgren announced that Couturier wouldn’t return with what he called a “head injury.”

The Flyers have already had four concussions this season among Chris Pronger, Brayden Schenn, Matt Read and Claude Giroux. While it would be speculative to assume that’s the prognosis for Couturier as well, the way things have gone in the NHL these days produces that fear.

http://phillysportsd...g-shot-to-head/

Couturier was taken to hospital

http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-philadelphia-flyers/news/Couturier-the-latest-Flyer-to-suffer-hea?blockID=614126&feedID=704

As if the Flyers don’t have enough head injuries, rookie center Sean Couturier was struck on the left side of his head -- at the helmet -- by a shot Saturday and left the game.

He remained under evaluation at Pennsylvania Hospital on Saturday night. He could be concussed.

“We still don’t know [full details],” said general manager Paul Holmgren. “Thank God he turned his head in time where it didn’t hit him in [the face].”

With 48.7 seconds left in the first period, Couturier saw Kimmo Timonen’s drive from above the left circle coming at him and turned as the puck struck the left side of his helmet, above the ear flap.

Couturier went down on the ice and stayed prone for a few minutes while under medical supervision.

He then rose and skated off under his own power to the dressing room to be examined. Though he passed an initial baseline concussion test, as the Flyers saw with Chris Pronger, sometimes a concussion doesn’t manifest itself for days or even weeks.

Danny Briere spoke to Couturier between periods.

“He said he didn’t feel too bad, but not all that great, either,” Briere said. “They’re tough breaks. I hope we get all of them out of the way now so that by the playoffs, we’re at full strength.”

Holmgren said that Couturier’s baseline scores were similar to what he had in training camp.

“I think what they are checking for now is damage to his skull,” Holmgren said. “And taking a look to see if there is any internal damage.”

The Flyers have three players currently concussed and out of the lineup: Chris Pronger (out for season), Claude Giroux and Brayden Schenn. None of these concussions involved a dirty play or questionable hit.

The speedy Couturier’s influence can’t be understated. He averages 13:03 minutes a night and is one of their top penalty killers, logging 3:05 a game. His shorthanded average has been higher than Giroux’s (2:50) because he picked up added minutes with Giroux out.

Holmgren said he was uncertain if the club will call up a player. Giroux and Schenn made the trip to Denver on Saturday night, but won’t play in Denver or Dallas.

“We’re missing a lot of bodies right now and it’s too bad it’s another centerman,” Jaromir Jagr said. “There’s nobody left at center. We got three concussed centermen. It’s not easy. We gotta battle through.”

Although the Flyers have three centers injured now, Holmgren wasn’t sure if he would call up a forward from the Phantoms.

“We do have some flexibility and Matt Read can play center,” he said. “Obviously, Schenn and Giroux are not options here for the near future. We’ll have to talk about that.”

E-mail Tim Panaccio at tpanotch@comcast.net

I found this sentence to be a bit odd:

Holmgren said he was uncertain if the club will call up a player. Giroux and Schenn made the trip to Denver on Saturday night, but won’t play in Denver or Dallas.

First, why bring them on the trip if they won't be playing. And second, how can you know 5-6 days in advance whether or not Schenn or Giroux will be ready to play? Either they're way worse than they're letting on, or I'm reading too much into it.

First, why bring them on the trip if they won't be playing. And second, how can you know 5-6 days in advance whether or not Schenn or Giroux will be ready to play? Either they're way worse than they're letting on, or I'm reading too much into it.

I believe there are a series of tests that they have to pass in order to be cleared to play. Maybe it takes 5-6 days to get through all the tests, assuming that you pass them all.

That's just great. We have potentially THREE blue chip centers on the team and they're all concussed to hell.

We still have Briere, but unfortunately, that's it. Talbot has been a nice surprise, but he isn't replacing anyone of that caliber, no matter how hard he plays.

Umm, I went to public school and all but that is two sentences. Just sayin. LOL

Edited by AlaskaFlyerFan

Because it is cheaper to book the airline tickets further in advance. Didn't you see the post where Hartnell, Giroux and Jagr all room together. We never did find out who sleeps on the roll-away.

Because it is cheaper to book the airline tickets further in advance.

The teams charter the entire plane. It wouldn't matter if one or two seats are empty.

I think the players are on the trip:

1.) so the training staff can evaluate them on a daily basis

OR

2.) Because they are closer to returning than we are aware.

Danny Briere spoke to Couturier between periods.

“He said he didn’t feel too bad, but not all that great, either,” Briere said. “They’re tough breaks. I hope we get all of them out of the way now so that by the playoffs, we’re at full strength.”

Holmgren said that Couturier’s baseline scores were similar to what he had in training camp.

“I think what they are checking for now is damage to his skull,” Holmgren said. “And taking a look to see if there is any internal damage.”

The Flyers have three players currently concussed and out of the lineup: Chris Pronger (out for season), Claude Giroux and Brayden Schenn. None of these concussions involved a dirty play or questionable hit.

The speedy Couturier’s influence can’t be understated. He averages 13:03 minutes a night and is one of their top penalty killers, logging 3:05 a game. His shorthanded average has been higher than Giroux’s (2:50) because he picked up added minutes with Giroux out.

“We’re missing a lot of bodies right now and it’s too bad it’s another centerman,” Jaromir Jagr said. “There’s nobody left at center. We got three concussed centermen. It’s not easy. We gotta battle through.”

Although the Flyers have three centers injured now, Holmgren wasn’t sure if he would call up a forward from the Phantoms.

“We do have some flexibility and Matt Read can play center,” he said. “Obviously, Schenn and Giroux are not options here for the near future. We’ll have to talk about that.”

That's just great. We have potentially THREE blue chip centers on the team and they're all concussed to hell.

And what scares me to death about these concussions now is that it seems like you can never shake them once you get one. They linger and could manifest symptoms at any time and you're more susceptible than before and the least little injury could be back a recurrence even worse than the original. It's just bad any way you look at it.

DENVER -- Sean Couturier, who may or may not have a concussion, is “doing well,” according to general manager Paul Holmgren.

Couturier, struck in the head by a shot from Kimmo Timonen in Saturday’s loss to Boston, was re-evaluated on Monday and will follow up with his doctors on Tuesday.

A source said he has general soreness, but is not concussed.

http://www.csnphilly.com/blog/flyers-talk/post/Couturier-doing-well-not-concussed?blockID=615442&feedID=695

And what scares me to death about these concussions now is that it seems like you can never shake them once you get one. They linger and could manifest symptoms at any time and you're more susceptible than before and the least little injury could be back a recurrence even worse than the original. It's just bad any way you look at it.

Bergeron has recovered nicely. I thought he'd never be the same.