2013 Bryzgalov Evaluation Thread (Buyout or no)

Digityman

The guy has been a professional goaltender in the most-talented league in the world for a decade, and has done exceptionally well.

i'm not saying he hasn't. just saying i'm always suprised when i see someone stick in the NHL while being that weak on their skates. bryzgalov isn't the only one. i'm pretty sure js giguere wears bob skates.

Dude played well vs the Panthers, and well enough against the Rangers. I'm trying to watch him with fresh eyes, so far the two games I've seen he's been pretty good. When he's going we'll the puck finds him and he's efficient with his movement, he has looked to me like he's playing similarly to last March

Give him an extension!!!

Nice!....I like wiseguys ;)

Bryz looked very, well...un-bryz-like. Quick laterally, sound positioning, anticipating. Was good to see, and I hope whomever sn-atched his jersey and is playing in net keeps up the charade because that was just what the doctor ordered.

Edited by jackhole

The Flyers are now 2-3. The first three games looked to me like alot of guys were rusty and their timing and conditioning was off. The last two games they looked sharp, energized and worked like a team. Bryz also looked (IMO) really good in these last two games.

Now I don't know how the rest of the season will play out. I fear that the injuries will be a big detractor and cause the team to fall short. And I don't know how Bryz will look the rest of the way. But I think 5 games in to a strike shortened season is not nearly enough of a sampling to determine hsi future on. Flyers fans are so emotionally invested in this team that everygame holds some monumental impact. Management has a tool at their disposal in this buy out. I don't think they will overlook this. Hell for all we know, Bryz could win the Vezina and still get bought out for business reasons. So as interesting a discussion as this is, I would say let's just relax and see what happens next. They aren't going to change anything until the season is over, so get used to what is here now

Give him an extension!!!

trade him now! his value will never be higher!!

seriously, though, bryz has now put together a few good games here. I thought he played very well in NY and even better last night. I'm seeing the signs that I saw last spring before he went on a heater. I think he's going on another heater here and I hope it's not ended by another injury(there are no jinxes).

Is he in net again today? On one hand, I'd like to see him just stay in net right now... he's in the zone. On the other, this is a lot of games in a very short period of time ... and dare I say... maybe Leighton should start today? yikes. i said it.

Game #5 - Flyers vs Panthers

Stellar game by Bryz. Made the saves he needed to and then some.

The goal against was a breakaway from the blueline. Not his fault.

He looked as though he was one of the best goalies in the league.

Season Total:

Great Games: 1

Good Games: 1

Average Games: 3

Below Average Games: 0

View Game #4 video

View Game #6 video

@sarsippius

the deal is for so long and for so much, even if Bryz is really good this year i would think his contract should be one to buy out.

it's a bad deal just about every way you look at it, and I'm not really on the Bryz hate train either, he would have to turn into 25 year old Martin Broduer for it to be worth while and at 31 or whatever that is a very remote possibility.

Game #6 - Flyers vs Rangers - 1/29/2013

Goal #1 - Bryz should have had it. Just poor reaction and positioning

Goal #2 - Nothing he could do about it.

He made some key saves and then looked shaky on others but overall it was a good game by Bryz.

Season Total:

Good Games: 2

View Game #5 Video

View Game #7 Video

Posted · Hidden by Digityman, January 31, 2013 - duplicat
Hidden by Digityman, January 31, 2013 - duplicat

I agree, one thing I notice so far anyway is, that he is standing up a bit more, his awareness is better and he seems more fluid in his laeral movement. Lets give him the season and see what he does, if he is just decent,then we can get a decent goalie for much less in the off season.

Get him some defensemen that can play and he will look like Lundquist.. What a mess this backside is. Bryz is a keeper.

I agree, one thing I notice so far anyway is, that he is standing up a bit more, his awareness is better and he seems more fluid in his laeral movement. Lets give him the season and see what he does, if he is just decent,then we can get a decent goalie for much less in the off season.

Get him some defensemen that can play and he will look like Lundquist.. What a mess this backside is. Bryz is a keeper.

• Like 1

@sarsippius

the deal is for so long and for so much, even if Bryz is really good this year i would think his contract should be one to buy out.

@mojo1917

I think that really is a good point, he could be Jesus this year and you'd STILL have to think about a buyout to keep from getting crushed by the weight of that contract

• Like 1

Game #7 - Flyers vs Capitals - 2/1/13

Goal #1 - Flyers didn't get the puck deep leading to a breakaway for Backstrom. As we've seen most of the season, any 1 on 1 seems to result in a goal.

Goal #2 - He went into the butterfly a little to early leaving the top corner open. That was a hell of a shot though.

Goal #3 - L Schenn give away leads to a breakaway. (See goal #1)

I'd say this was a average to good game for Bryz. Making a few key saves on OV puts it firmly into the good category.

Season Total:

Good Games: 3

View Game #6 Video

View Game #8 Video

Game #8 - Hurricanes vs Flyers - 2/2/2012

Goal #1 - Not his fault. Would have been a huge save if he got it.

Goal #2 - Another turnover result in a 1 on 1 breakaway. I can't remember Bryz making a save this year when 1 on 1.

Goal #3 - Talbot stopped skating = blown coverage. Perfect pass on the tap across the goal crease. Nothing Bryz could do.

Lots of shots thrown at him. 42 to be exact. 3 goals against is a .929 SV%. That's the definition of a good game by Bryz.

Season Total:

Good Games: 4

View Game #7 Video

View Game #9 Video

Game #8 - Hurricanes vs Flyers - 2/2/2012

Goal #1 - Not his fault. Would have been a huge save if he got it.

Goal #2 - Another turnover result in a 1 on 1 breakaway. I can't remember Bryz making a save this year when 1 on 1.

Goal #3 - Talbot stopped skating = blown coverage. Perfect pass on the tap across the goal crease. Nothing Bryz could do.

Lots of shots thrown at him. 42 to be exact. 3 goals against is a .929 SV%. That's the definition of a good game by Bryz.

Season Total:

Good Games: 4

View Game #7 Video

View Game #9 Video

Not for nothing, but I've seen at least two articles describing it as a great game by Bryz.

Not for nothing, but I've seen at least two articles describing it as a great game by Bryz.

I'm okay with changing it to great if that's what's agreed upon. I personally have seen better games from goalies (standing on their head) so that's why I kept it as good.

• Like 1

wow really? you think so Mojo? I don't know, for me he played well but he certainly didn't "steal the win" by any means. I think even Rad will agree that it was our offense, our PP that got the win that night. When you go 3 for 3 on the PP you're going to win games. Bryzgalov was good but he didn't have to be "great" at all. Our D actually blocked more shots that night than in all the games combined before that (maybe a slight exaggeration but I think the numbers are actually close).

[edit: let's hope he's "great" tonight because those damn Bolts are on fire offensively. He'll have to be great and our Team D will need to be outstanding tonight if we hope to keep TB off the board...they've only scored less than 3 goals one game...yipes! We got our work cut out for us tonight...]

Edited by canoli