B Schenn to coyotes?

Depending on the D-man, I would consider it. I am not on the B Schenn train yet. Yeah, he's young, yeah he's still learning, but with the overflow of young centers-I think they need to consider moving someone for a D-man.

Then again, Buttman will probably block the trade anyway. :angry:

@Jmdodgesrt4

Schenn is not panning out too well here. He isn't going to fetch too much in the department of what the Flyers actually need. Not Yandle by any stretch, or a snowball's chance in h ell of getting Larsson. Maybe Rundblad and a high pick? Maybe Michalek and a lower pick? Klesa and a Vrbata?

In any case, it may be best to let the chips fall and retool the team this summer.

Rundblad is the one most often mentioned in rumors, I think Schenn would be a bit of an overpayment. Of course, there are half a dozen teams chasing the mythical top four d-man right now, so the only way to get one is to overpay. Personally, I would not do it if I were Philly,

@aziz

A ton more. He supposed to replace Mike Richards, who was supposed to replace Bobby Clarke, who was emulated in Eric Lindros' play, who is second to Jesus H Christ.

In all seriousness, I see what you are saying, and I can let a player have there "sophomore slump" with a ton of objectivity; I get it and it happens to most NHL players. I just think, personally he is not gelling with Lavy's system being where he has been placed in the line up. Odd that a guy that is supposed to be part of the nucleus is role playing on the checking line. This team is basically in shambles when it comes to any sort of consistency. Maybe when Hartnell and Simmonds come back we can re-evaluate with a little more certainty.

By me stating that he is not panning out too well on this team means just that. He is not looking in any way, shape or form of snapping into the player that the fans expect (keep in mind that this city and it's fans have no patience when it comes to 1st rounders not competing for the Hart Trophy annually). Does that mean trade him? In my opinion, hell no! Hold him for the season then deal from a position of strength in the off season. If Holmgren even attempts to move him now, it will stink of desperation and he'd be lucky to get a 3-4 defender.

On the other end of the stick, I am a guy that wears orange tinted glasses while drinking my orange Kool Aid daily, but by no means would I expect B. Schenn to fetch a serious 1-2 defender at this point in the season. Especially not with 29 other GMs looking at the Flyer's depth chart on the blue line. Nope no way.

The thing is with kimmo resigning for 6 mil we only have 2 mil is space next year not including pronger a ltir. If he can't be bought out due to injury we have to carry that hit. And can only remove it at beginning of season. We need a d man and I'm not sure Gus is the bill when he is fully up to speed in the ahl to come up this year. If we move b Schenn we are down a center next year becaus I see this as brieres last year due to hit cap hit. Other buy out maybe breezy but he's not to blame this year at all. Never thought I would say that.

@Bertmega

i see what you are saying. just figure that 5 points in 10 games -while a very small sample to project- is essentially the same pace mike richards had his 2nd season, joe thornton, close to giroux and elias. and he plays a more physical game than any of those guys. put him next to players playing a more similar game, he's beyond dustin brown's 2nd year pace, david backes, close to lucic's.

he isn't blowing anyone's mind, no argument there, but i feel like he is figuring things out. he isn't likely to be a 1st line 100point guy, but a 2nd line 60point 250 hit, 130 PIM player has value.

• Like 1

Give the kid a chance to develop.....Lavy really has not given Schenn consistent linemates since we aquired him....kid has played center and both wings.....we need to give him steady linemates and a regular position and watch him grow into the good player that was predicted.....I think its great that the Schenn bros are ther top Flyers in "hits".....havent we recently complained that we had gotten too soft?

Lets be patient and let all of these talented kids grow together!

• Like 3

To me it's not a development issue, it's a numbers game. They are overloaded with centers, including Laughton, and starving for young Dmen. At some point, you have to trade a position of strength(center), to address an area of weakness(defense). Of our young centers, Schenn has been the "least" impressive. That doesn't mean I think he's bad/overrated/etc, but to me, if you are trading a center, he might be the one who can be packaged for a solid return..

Flyers centers...Giroux, Briere, Cooter, Schenn, Talbot, Laughton(prolly next year).

So, the options are: trade a young kid or buyout Briere and use his money for a d-man. Buying out Briere gets you what-? Everyone is saying the UFA pool is horrible next year for D-men, so it makes no sense to do that.

Edited by DaGreatGazoo
  • Like 1

I support being patient, but never say never to a deal that would improve our back end, i.e. a young prospect (Schenn) for a D-man who is in his mid-20s, not some old fart.

One of the things I noticed last night, in the two periods I saw, was the number of times that he gets tossed off the puck. He just gets thrown to the ground with too much ease. I know he's not super big by NHL standards, but he needs to take a look at how Giroux takes a shove like that and uses it, rolls with it etc, above all stays on his feet.

The other thing are his ridonculously long shifts. That's a bad sign that nothing good can come from. Last night was terrible. 19 shifts in 18:30, so almost 1 minute shifts on average. Some of those were close to 2 minutes shifts that seemed like 5 min shifts. And they are not all a result of being stuck on the ice as a result of an icing. He's choosing to stay out there. That's not acceptable.

• Like 1

In Flyers fan formations is a panic trade all for anyone is playing better then that Flyer. But not all players can fit well to this team or other team, the system is important, it seems to me Lavy system to hard for those players now, so we could see Lavy will depart early then any players in Flyers uniform.

Edited by phlfly

I'm am in the camp of not trading him during the season as the return would be junk. However, like @Podein25 said never say never to a deal that would improve our defense. If the Yotes said, hey we'll toss you Yandel for Schenn and a D prospect, i'd be all over that like flies on... well you know what.

In any case, being that the Flyers are incredibly weak on D, no team will offer anything fair. Even Howson would look to screw the Flyers lol.

However, with the plethora of centers on this team, one must consider all options. Packaging Briere? Buying out Briere? It seems plausible especially if the centers are: Giroux, Cooter, Schenn, Talbot? Seems natural to me. We need another winger that can locate the net and serious help on D.

really? .5p/gm isn't too bad for a second year player. thats's where giroux was. and, b schenn is trailing only l schenn for most hits on the team. not sure what you expect from a sophmore.

Not to mention that he lights it up at the AHL level. He just needs a bit of seasoning. I really like his grit. He is Richards v 2.0 (but better passer / vision IMHO).

I agree with a sentiment of patience. He is developing and it's clear. Slowly, but developing. However, if somehow the 'Yotes would trade Yandle for him straight, I would take that trade and run as fast as I can. But that isn't happening.

I'm okay with Schenn. He's doing okay for a second year, especially when he missed so much of his rookie year. If he can play like we saw in the playoffs, he'll be fine.

That said, I wouldn't be broken-hearted if we got a decent dman for him. It might also mean we end the ridiculousness of keeping Briere on the wing.

Note to Flyers: BRIERE SUCKS ON THE WING!

@Bertmega

I object to Pitsburg even 'recieving' a turn. If they want to bend someone over a pipe, they have Betman who is all too willing.

No, I prefer that Columbus stays our farm team, as ADK, well...sucks. At least until Tampa or Carolina stink it up enough to recieve the high draft picks I'm interested in.

• Like 1