Boy This Team Is Bad

BearOnIce

one of my "favorite" sites

Nov. 16, 1995

1st Rounder (Danny Briere), 4th (Mike Martone) and Martin Spanhel for Pat Falloon

Jan 17, 1998

Vaclav Prospal, Falloon and 2nd (Chris Bala) for Alexandre Daigle

Jan 29, 1999

Daigle for Andrei Kovalenko

March 6, 1999

Kovalenko for Adam Burt

Three and a half years to turn Prospal and Briere into Adam Burt.

Chasing the Dragon.

Been away traveling all last week. Saw a lot of other NHL teams. Turned on to watch Flyers tonight. So disappointing to see what this team has become. Just not a lot of skill or real playmaking. No flow. Just turned it off. Boring.

Surley not enough talent. 3 defenseman on this team I dont want here, well 2 actually if you kept Gervais as a 6th guy. Foster and Lilja are pathetic! If the Flyers were looking for a cheap 6th or 7th type defenseman, I would have signed Vandermeer, WHO IS CHEAPER, 600,000 on a 2 way deal, over Foster. If not Vandermeer, someone else. Coburn isnt playing well. Of our top 4 D, only 2 are plus players

I still think Offense is missing. The first line is conspicuous by their absence. Giroux is an anomaly right now and I wonder why? Stands to reason if your offense is in their end the opponents probably won't score on you. JMO

P:

Good to hear from you. Your reasoning is good. I just see a lot of defensive lapses that result in bang-bang goals. Our goal scoring is anemic--maybe I see the potential from the forwards but worry about the upper bounds of this defensive corps...which has limited puck movement skills.

Best,

Howie

Another loss or two like this and our friend Lavy will be scapegoated and released. This is not a coherent group. The defensive lapses are awful.

Best,

Howie

My friend Howie, the Bear is very aggitated right now with this Flyers team this year because when you enjoy watching hockey you don't get it from this team. Not even in the least. It is ok to lose but not with what we are seeing. What is distrurbing most is how far they have fallen from last year. What's going on? You mean that being without essentially Jagr and Carle has caused all of this? And a few other injuries to other guys has caused this tailspin? Bryz has even played better. Who would of thought this. Please. In my opinion we have a vast overrating of the players on this team by the management, the GM in particular, who continues to think they can feed the Flyers Faithful this kind of slop and just watch the cash register continue to ring. Too many of these players had career years last years, and it is not going to happen again. This team is just rediculous. They fire my coach Laviolette and I will be done forever with this organization.

I noticed several things. The defensive breakdowns are horrendous. That is not system nor player, rather fundamentals, i.e. coaching. Next, Giroux does not look like the face of the franchise. In fact, he out right sucks recently. He is playing small and getting treated as such. Briere is terrible as well, and don't give me the "he's awesome in the playoffs" malarkey because this team isn't going to sniff the playoffs at this point. Coburn is a bum now that he has to play big minutes. He makes lazy plays, he is slow and he has no shot. The only redeeming factor on this team is Wayne Simmonds. Outside of that, they are all garbage.

They have to make a move to get a mobile defenseman, not a big name, but a Matt Carle type guy. To do that the Flyers are going to have to give up assets. If you all are good with that, say good-bye Cooter (I hope mystery flu doesn't = mystery trade). If you are fine with the team stinking up the joint, but keeping its assets than watch with one eye open for the rest of the year.

Off_the_post is right, they are playing 1-2-2 right now because this D would really get smoked if they played the normal 2-1-2, or 2-2-1 system. I think this team is desperately missing Jagr. They need that now and bad.

Damn, that was a fine post Bert. Finally someone put that all down so well. Yea, I say we start moving some people. Like the GM. That will never happen though because the Old Man is an old man, but Holmgren should be shown the door. Snider needs to get his nose out of the operation or he will never see another Cup in his lifetime. Never.

I've had some bad bosses in my day, crazy ************s you couldn't understand when they spoke yet expected you to read their mind , but I'll bet you dollars to donuts they would be rotary club's man of the year compared with Chairman Ed.

@mojo1917 Oh yeah, I betcha he belittles the hired help big time...he looks like a cranky ol' bastard.

I think I've mentioned this before but what the heck... I met Big Ed when I was in college. My girlfriend at the time was friends with his son from high school and we got invited to a party at "the Mansion". Ed poked his nose in for a few minutes, wearing a bathrobe. He wasn't particularly friendly as I recall, although maybe he just wasn't crazy about a bunch of college kids roaming around his house.

My friend Howie, the Bear is very aggitated right now with this Flyers team this year because when you enjoy watching hockey you don't get it from this team. Not even in the least. It is ok to lose but not with what we are seeing. What is distrurbing most is how far they have fallen from last year. What's going on? You mean that being without essentially Jagr and Carle has caused all of this? And a few other injuries to other guys has caused this tailspin? Bryz has even played better. Who would of thought this. Please. In my opinion we have a vast overrating of the players on this team by the management, the GM in particular, who continues to think they can feed the Flyers Faithful this kind of slop and just watch the cash register continue to ring. Too many of these players had career years last years, and it is not going to happen again. This team is just rediculous. They fire my coach Laviolette and I will be done forever with this organization.

Tonight we saw that against a so-so team, they can survive if Bryz is at the top of his game and they avoid dumb penalties. The forwards show promise but the D is lackluster. I am not happy at all either. Per my comment...dismissing the coach lets Homer off the hook. But it also covers up a strategy of win now, and forever lose the Cup.

Best,

Howie

Stop the crying. This IS THE SUFFERING from having young forwards! Giroux, Read, Schenn, Couturier, Rinaldo, McGinn, Voracek, and Simmonds are ALL young.

Stunning.

Coburn is also playing well, and surprisingly, Gervais. The forwards make the D look bad by lackluster effort in the D zone, and not receiving passes well in any zone - especially outlet passes from defenseman in the neutral zone.

The team needs to gel, and have everyone know where their linemates will be. Fundamentals need major work across the board. Passing specifically has been horrible between direct giveaways, and the already mentioned stone hands. All players need to be able to take the body to make a play.

It's laughable that people want Jagr back, and young forwards, and defenseman. It's not a video game. A lot of people were happy to see Carle go, and Homer did trade a forward for a young D still developing (JVR for L Schenn). Every plan won't work, but no one would be crying if Weber was a Flyer. Or if the Flyers were winning...

• Like 1

@Mad Dog

I wouldn't go that far. Let me refresh your memory:

"- Traded Michal Handzus to the Chicago Blackhawks for Kyle Calder

-Traded Kent Manderville to the Pittsburgh Penguins for Billy Tibbetts

-Traded Patrick Sharp and Eric Meloche to the Chicago Blackhawks for Matt Ellison and third round draft choice

-Traded Maxime Ouellet and first, second and third round draft choices(Martin Vagner, Maxime Daigneault and Derek Krestanovich) to the Washington Capitals for Adam Oates.

-Traded Vaclav Prospal, Pat Falloon and Dallas' previously acquired second round draft choice(Chris Bala) to the Ottawa Senators for Alexandre Daigle.

-Traded Dave Poulin to the Boston Bruins for Ken Linseman.

-Traded Brad McCrimmon to the Calgary Flames for first and third round draft choices.

-Traded Justin Williams to the Carolina Hurricanes for Danny Markov.

-Traded Rod Brind'Amour, Jean Marc Pelletier and a second round draft choice(Argis Saviels) to the Carolina Hurricanes for Keith Primeau and a fifth round draft choice-later transfered to the New York Islanders.

-Traded Mike Ricci, Peter Forsberg, Steve Duchesne, Kerry Huffman, Ron Hextall, two first round draft choices(Nolan Baumgartner & Jocelyn Thibault), a player to be named (Chris Simon) and $15 million cash to the Quebec Nordiques for the rights to Eric Lindros."

Thank you Jsaquella at hockeybuzz for making me visit the wayback machine to re-tread one of your posts. He did all the work, I cut and paste. Here is the original link to his write up: http://my.hockeybuzz...14&post_id=3298

Wasn't Clarke still at the helm for Poulin for Linesman and Propp for toothpaste?

@Phlyer1 I know I'm starting to wonder out loud what a lot of Flyer fans are thinking....did they hand the reigns to G to early? Has it hurt his game, the burden of the extra responibility? I thought it was the right choice at first, but now I wonder....

Okay, first of all, I truly believe Giroux so far is about Briere. I'm sorry, but if you put Briere on Gretsky's line in his prime, Gretsky looks like Pat Falloon. Briere has no finishing skills, gets tossed around like yesterday's pop diva, and banged harder than a 12 year old tourist at Penn State.

Briere is worthless at this point. And it's killing Giroux. Just waiting for Hartnell to get back to give him some size on his wing and he'll be fine.

---

I actually saw a reference in a post on this thread to the fact we need a puck-moving defenseman like Carle. I have to smile when I read this because 1) We had Carle and 2) Nearly everyone--beside me--wanted him run out of town when he was here. The statement was correct, it's just that I found it ironic.

For me, though, it's not so much the defense as the floundering of the forwards. I was concerned about the D on paper going in, but they seem to have stablized a bit. It's the lack of scoring, lack of offensive zone pressure, and lack of backchecking that bothers me. Collectively a bad year? Possibly. I'm not really panicking yet.

• Like 1

Wasn't Clarke still at the helm for Poulin for Linesman and Propp for toothpaste?

You bet your bippy he was. I could have killed him for those moves. The worst was the way they insulted Poulin by stripping him of the C first (and giving it to Ron Sutter) and then making this senseless trade.

• Like 1

Okay, first of all, I truly believe Giroux so far is about Briere. I'm sorry, but if you put Briere on Gretsky's line in his prime, Gretsky looks like Pat Falloon. Briere has no finishing skills, gets tossed around like yesterday's pop diva, and banged harder than a 12 year old tourist at Penn State.

Briere is worthless at this point. And it's killing Giroux. Just waiting for Hartnell to get back to give him some size on his wing and he'll be fine.

---

I actually saw a reference in a post on this thread to the fact we need a puck-moving defenseman like Carle. I have to smile when I read this because 1) We had Carle and 2) Nearly everyone--beside me--wanted him run out of town when he was here. The statement was correct, it's just that I found it ironic.

For me, though, it's not so much the defense as the floundering of the forwards. I was concerned about the D on paper going in, but they seem to have stablized a bit. It's the lack of scoring, lack of offensive zone pressure, and lack of backchecking that bothers me. Collectively a bad year? Possibly. I'm not really panicking yet.

Hey! I'm a Penn State student you asshole!!!

Bertmega, on Feb 12, 2013 - 06:44 PM, said:

@Mad Dog

I wouldn't go that far. Let me refresh your memory:

"- Traded Michal Handzus to the Chicago Blackhawks for Kyle Calder

-Traded Kent Manderville to the Pittsburgh Penguins for Billy Tibbetts

-Traded Patrick Sharp and Eric Meloche to the Chicago Blackhawks for Matt Ellison and third round draft choice

-Traded Maxime Ouellet and first, second and third round draft choices(Martin Vagner, Maxime Daigneault and Derek Krestanovich) to the Washington Capitals for Adam Oates.

-Traded Vaclav Prospal, Pat Falloon and Dallas' previously acquired second round draft choice(Chris Bala) to the Ottawa Senators for Alexandre Daigle.

-Traded Dave Poulin to the Boston Bruins for Ken Linseman.

-Traded Brad McCrimmon to the Calgary Flames for first and third round draft choices.

-Traded Justin Williams to the Carolina Hurricanes for Danny Markov.

-Traded Rod Brind'Amour, Jean Marc Pelletier and a second round draft choice(Argis Saviels) to the Carolina Hurricanes for Keith Primeau and a fifth round draft choice-later transfered to the New York Islanders.

-Traded Mike Ricci, Peter Forsberg, Steve Duchesne, Kerry Huffman, Ron Hextall, two first round draft choices(Nolan Baumgartner & Jocelyn Thibault), a player to be named (Chris Simon) and $15 million cash to the Quebec Nordiques for the rights to Eric Lindros."

Thank you Jsaquella at hockeybuzz for making me visit the wayback machine to re-tread one of your posts. He did all the work, I cut and paste. Here is the original link to his write up: http://my.hockeybuzz...14&post_id=3298

But Clarke wasn't at the helm, when Russ Farwell traded for Lindros.

ha ha ha.

i liked him and his game and just couldn't believe that he'd fetch 5.5 a year, but when you look at all there is to his game , it's fair market value. and like the 68 year old lady calling the plumber i guess i have no idea what **** costs.

Tonight we saw that against a so-so team, they can survive if Bryz is at the top of his game and they avoid dumb penalties. The forwards show promise but the D is lackluster. I am not happy at all either. Per my comment...dismissing the coach lets Homer off the hook. But it also covers up a strategy of win now, and forever lose the Cup.

Best,

Howie

Howie:

It is what it is.

When you play a .500 team and you are almost a .500 team, you have a chance of winning.

Anything close to the Cup is not going to happen this year, maybe not even the playoffs.

The net-net is that all of this on on the GM.

Nuff said about the coach.

BOI

• Like 1