No easy answers

Hextall? Pelle? I honestly cannot remember. That's bad.

From teh hockeydb.com

2008: 1 - Luca Sbisa (220 NHL GP, traded for Pronger); 3 - MAB (45 NHL GP, in AHL)

2005: 3 - Oskars Bartulis (66 NHL GP, bought out)

2003: 3 - Alexadre Picard (253 NHL GP, dealt for Prospal)

2002: 1 - Joni Pitkanen (526 NHL GP, dealt for Lupul)

2001: 1 - Jeff Woywitka (278 NHL GP, dealt for Comrie); 6 - Denis Seidenberg (558 NHL GP, traded for Nedved)

2000: 6 - Roman Cechmanek (212 NHL GP, dealt for 2nd rounder)

1999: 1 - Maxime Ouellet (12 NHL GP, dealt for Oates)

1998: 2 2nds, 4th used on D that never played an NHL game; 9 - Bruno St. Jacques (67 NHL gp)

1997: 2 - Jean-Marc Pelletier (7 NHL GP)

1995: 1 - Brian Boucher (328 NHL GP, we know this story); 6 - Dmitri Tertyshny (62 NHL GP, R.I.P.)

1994: 9 - Johan Hedberg (368 NHL GP, never invited to camp)

1993: 2 - Janne Niiniimaaa (741 NHL GP, traded for McGillis)

So that's 20 years

1991 they got Yushkevich (traded for 1st (Zubrus) and 2nd (Pelletier))

1990 Chris Therien

So, yeah, one could argue in the past 25 years or so they've successfully developed Chris Therien and maybe Boucher - depending on your definition of "success"

@flyercanuck

It has to be or the deal is just ludicrous. Do you know what my Hydrangea and Boxwood bushes look like come May? The man is a genius I tell you!!!!

He even mows around my dog's excrement. Pure class....

I don't know what hydrangeas or boxwoods look like in any month. But I'll take your word on it. Does he have a sister?

For clarification, that does imply embellishment or flopping. He's working his tail off and playing through the hits.

And, that ratio unfortunately includes bs "reputation" calls from his rookie season.

The bs calls on Rinaldo have gone way past ridiculous.

The bs calls on Rinaldo have gone way past ridiculous.

What, you don't like 2 for missing a hit and 10 for (allegedly) complaining about it? I think the 10 was ref discretion trying to calm a game down, but unjustified.

For clarification, that does imply embellishment or flopping. He's working his tail off and playing through the hits.

I didn't meant to imply that. He's drawing penalties because he finishes his hits and gets under their skin. It's been a long time since I've seen someone as good as he is at hitting.

rad - 18 picks (if I counted right) in 20 years used to draft defencemen AND goalies? I wonder if that's the lowest total in the league or in NHL history...and no wonder we suck at those positions.

There were a few more that never got a sniff in the NHL.

I didn't meant to imply that. He's drawing penalties because he finishes his hits and gets under their skin. It's been a long time since I've seen someone as good as he is at hitting.

Oh, I understand. It's why I posted. Rinaldo is awesome.

@radoran

Oh OK. I thought even for the Flyers that was a terrible number. You'd think after all those years they'd fluke out on one. I guess Seidenberg would count if they'd actually kept him, instead of trading him away for some washed up used to be

Only three first round picks used on defensemen in the last 20 years. You would think they might get more than that just by accident.

Only three first round picks used on defensemen in the last 20 years. You would think they might get more than that just by accident.

In fairness, they didn't have first round picks in six of those years...

#chasingthedragon

From teh hockeydb.com

2008: 1 - Luca Sbisa (220 NHL GP, traded for Pronger); 3 - MAB (45 NHL GP, in AHL)

2005: 3 - Oskars Bartulis (66 NHL GP, bought out)

2003: 3 - Alexadre Picard (253 NHL GP, dealt for Prospal)

2002: 1 - Joni Pitkanen (526 NHL GP, dealt for Lupul)

2001: 1 - Jeff Woywitka (278 NHL GP, dealt for Comrie); 6 - Denis Seidenberg (558 NHL GP, traded for Nedved)

2000: 6 - Roman Cechmanek (212 NHL GP, dealt for 2nd rounder)

1999: 1 - Maxime Ouellet (12 NHL GP, dealt for Oates)

1998: 2 2nds, 4th used on D that never played an NHL game; 9 - Bruno St. Jacques (67 NHL gp)

1997: 2 - Jean-Marc Pelletier (7 NHL GP)

1995: 1 - Brian Boucher (328 NHL GP, we know this story); 6 - Dmitri Tertyshny (62 NHL GP, R.I.P.)

1994: 9 - Johan Hedberg (368 NHL GP, never invited to camp)

1993: 2 - Janne Niiniimaaa (741 NHL GP, traded for McGillis)

So that's 20 years

1991 they got Yushkevich (traded for 1st (Zubrus) and 2nd (Pelletier))

1990 Chris Therien

So, yeah, one could argue in the past 25 years or so they've successfully developed Chris Therien and maybe Boucher - depending on your definition of "success"

Wow. Therien? That's it?

how did Bob get left off the list? Okay so technically they didn't draft him - nobody did - but the Flyers found him first and offered him the contract.

Management's stupidity (and Lavy's too, somewhat) surrounding Flyers' goaltending is really unbelievable.

Edited by canoli

how did Bob get left off the list? Because they didn't draft him? Well nobody did but the Flyers found him and offered him the contract.

So what happens?

Even when the Flyers find a good young goaltender they have no patience with him.

Management's stupidity (and Lavy's too, somewhat) surrounding Flyers' goaltending is really unbelievable.

Yeah, that was just drafted players - and just the ones that "did anything" at the NHL level.

Also, too, the team found, but didn't develop Bob. Like Seidenberg.

I still smart from losing Terthsyny like they did.

The Pronger thing combines with the Bryz signing is why the Richards and Carter trades never made sense to me... or reverse that depending on your point of view. either way one side doesn't match the other.

Pronger and Bryz = we're built to win now

Dealing Richie and Carter for a super solid young core = We're built to win in 3-4 years.

Either way you ain't gonna win at all without a Defense.

No real two ways about it. Briere and Bryz have to go before next season (and I don't say that likely because I like both players and I like Briere more). Which scares me enough because the Flyers can't scout a goalie to save their lives.

Should have eschewd Weber last year and just resigned Carle for the interim then gone after Weber this off season. Dumb Dumb Dumb Dumb Dumb.

We'll see what tricks homer has up his sleeve though. He can be quite crafty.

I'll say this for the organization. They never seem to be stymied too long by new restrictions in the CBA. It's almost like Homer and Snider sit in those meetings and push for things that they know they can manipulate and work around.

I just wish they did it to better ends (aka, not stupid moves like a billion year Bryz deal and screwing up the Weber deal).

But bringing back simmonds, jakub, schenn and drafting cooter sets us up for the future

@King Knut "I'll say this for the organization. They never seem to be stymied too long by new restrictions in the CBA. It's almost like Homer and Snider sit in those meetings and push for things that they know they can manipulate and work around."

I have no doubt in my mind this goes on. Teams employ super smart lawyers to find such loop-holes and then go into the meetings trying to pass rules which will make the loopholes come to life. It's actually a really smart stragety, and why every CBA seems to fall short of it's true intended purpose.

@King Knut "I'll say this for the organization. They never seem to be stymied too long by new restrictions in the CBA. It's almost like Homer and Snider sit in those meetings and push for things that they know they can manipulate and work around."

I have no doubt in my mind this goes on. Teams employ super smart lawyers to find such loop-holes and then go into the meetings trying to pass rules which will make the loopholes come to life. It's actually a really smart stragety, and why every CBA seems to fall short of it's true intended purpose.

Which is why all the nonsense about the owners "losing money" and the "union" being the problem was 100% pure, unadulterated hooey.

I was totally on the owner's side in 04-05 with Chris "Why Should I Play For Less Than $10 Million?" Pronger being my poster child for them

This time around, the owners were just trying to correct their egregios mistakes.

Witness, for example, two buyouts this time.

• Like 1