Lavi has to go

coords

But yes the d needs to be addressed. The goaltending needs to be addressed. I would be calling Minnesota and inquire about either of their goalies now. Maybe they want a grossman,cobourn or mezzy type player for the playoff push. I would like to keep grossman though.

But yes the d needs to be addressed. The goaltending needs to be addressed. I would be calling Minnesota and inquire about either of their goalies now. Maybe they want a grossman,cobourn or mezzy type player for the playoff push. I would like to keep grossman though.

Minnesota doesn't have "two goalies" - Harding has played four games this season and is currently on IR.

His 2.92/.885 (with a shutout) isn't encouraging.

If I'm Minny, I'm not giving up Backstrom without knowing I have a replacement.

I think they need to look at St. Louis.

• Like 2

1. Can't steal a game

2. Can't reliably hold a lead

3. Has to outplay the other team, count on the other team failing to convert on their chances, bury their own, and hope Bryz plays a decent game

I'd add a number 4. Can't play when down. They get behind and just seem to fold it up. That's what's so hilarious about this team this season (and yes, for me it has reached the point of high comedy), they can't hold a lead and can't come back. That doesn't leave many opportunities. Madness. Madness.

Ahh. Didn't know that. I liked Harding. But yah st Luis for briere. Lol

I liked them as an option before Harding went down.

Halak and Elliott are both UFA after next season. Pronger has $5.15M on his contract for three years after next season. I could see the Blues picking him up "to retire a Blue" with a pick or something for the rights to one before they become UFA. Admittedly, spitballing but it seems a better plan than the Flyers have come up with in 20 years.

Well for what it's worth I heard briere has agreed to a trade and has kimmo. I heard this from my friend who is related to homer. I haven't posted it because lately a lot of these inside things haven't panned out. But apparently they have a lot of trades already worked out with other teams. Including. It's apparently not just briere and kimmo being moved.

I'm guessing no matter what happens Friday there will be Big Changes by Sunday.

If the moves you mentioned work out then I Lavy will probably remain but if they can't get them done (Briere, Kimmo) then I expect Lavy will get the hook.

It's not just the bad pinches or the fwds playing too low / slow to cover up top. It's the idea that we can play this kind of game with the pieces we have - we can't. Maybe last year but not now. This year we're missing too much. I said we'd miss Matt Carle and most everyone laughed. I didn't think we'd miss Jagr but I was wrong. And I knew there's be "sophomore slumps" but I didn't think Couturier would go 19 games without a goal (or whatever it is). And Talbot - what's with Talbot? He's invisible.

Bryzgalov is exactly the wrong type of goaltender to play Lavy's system - he will not make the stops on breakaways, period. Bryzgalov needs a D-first mentality to have any success and we hardly have that (just the opposite).

• Like 1

I don't want it to be Peter, but these problems of lethargy and not getting up for big games and perhaps most importantly, having no solution for a shut down defense have been consistent throughout Peter's time in Philly.

We blamed it on Richards and Carter, now who do we blame it on? The only players you can possibly blame it on are guys we used to see playing awesome and being up when nothing else was going right.

Maybe they can have a miracle turn around like the year we made it to the finals, but it's not looking likely. This team is lost in the woods right now.

Unless something changes soon, expect to see Briere gone, Bryz bought out and no matter what they do with those two, Homer HAS and I mean DEFINITELY HAS to sign or trade for something major on Defense for next season. This can't keep going like this. It's pathetic.

I never thought I'd see another Flyers team that missed the playoffs twice in 5 years. That's not allowed in Philly.

Maybe I'm over reacting.

Timo is a problem as much as he is an asset anymore. The main reason to keep him around is to hope he can teach L.Schenn how to be a good defenseman in this league. Of course I thought he'd done that for Coburn, but Coby looks lost like a babe in the woods half the time at this point too.

We can blame it on being an unformed inexperienced and young team all we want, but even the vets look lost and confused out there. That's what concerns me. Lavy's the kind of guy you really want to like who seems like he should be a great coach. Right now he doesn't even seem concerned that they suck as badly as they do.

And boy... they really suck badly right now.

Other than Timo,

I don't want it to be Peter, but these problems of lethargy and not getting up for big games and perhaps most importantly, having no solution for a shut down defense have been consistent throughout Peter's time in Philly.

We blamed it on Richards and Carter, now who do we blame it on? The only players you can possibly blame it on are guys we used to see playing awesome and being up when nothing else was going right.

I think the organization blamed Crater and Richards. They tend to make moves based on how they would like to world to be, rather than on how it is.

There were apparently reasons Crater and Richards "had" to be moved.

But the guys who drafted them, gave them responsibility and signed them long term - before dealing both of them - are still here.

And still making the same mistakes.

Well for what it's worth I heard briere has agreed to a trade and has kimmo. I heard this from my friend who is related to homer. I haven't posted it because lately a lot of these inside things haven't panned out. But apparently they have a lot of trades already worked out with other teams. Including. It's apparently not just briere and kimmo being moved.

I hope you're right (and not just pulling our legs).

I'm not an X and O guy. I don't see the schemes they talk about but since he's been here our defense and goals allowed has gone up.

I'd love to be educated on why the system he is running isn't working but I see a team that:

1. Can't steal a game

2. Can't reliably hold a lead

3. Has to outplay the other team, count on the other team failing to convert on their chances, bury their own, and hope Bryz plays a decent game

...and a coach that has a free pass because of an HBO special and his ability to motivate his team in Timeouts.

If Stevens had to leave because we couldn't win the cup playing possum hockey, and allowing the team to act like they were at a country club, then I think Lavi has to leave for not finding a way to reduce the goals allowed.

Been reading other posts, Aziz's was awesome, team in transition. Maybe I'm over reacting. But if you have to build this thing back up I'd rather have a team that can play with a lead, play shut down D when it's called for. So let's get a coach/system that will let us do that.

With all respect, I will meet you at the Ben Franklin Bridge and we can talk about this so you don't go over the rail. The water is still very cold this time of the year. :) . We are all frustrated. Angry. You name it. Peter Laviolette has Cup. And with a team that was just ok and had a just ok goalie. He also took a Flyers team to the finals. I really don't think it is Peter. I think it is as simple as Holmgren swinging for the fence, missing badly, and then all the scrubs he brought in failing miserably to even come close to getting the job done on D. It has screwed up the entire team. And now understandably they are a mess to try and motivate. How can you lose Pronger, lose Carle, lose Jagr, have all the injuries out of the gate, and expect to do anything. Answer is you cannot. This is on the GM more than anyone and not the coach. We will get through this. :unsure:

• Like 2

At the risk of sounding like a smart ass, if they have agreed to the trades, why the hell haven't they been traded yet? It's not like this team has improved their play in the last week!

• Like 1

His system is no different then the system I played under. It's an aggressive puck pursuit in offensive zone. The idea is to keep it in the zone by keeping your dmen activated. Meaning at all times they are to pinch in to keep the puck in the zone. However the one thing that seems to be constant here this season is the failure for the forwards to cover the vacated point and then recycle. Also the third forward is not staying "high" in the zone. Basically between the face off circle. So when the dman pinches and the forward doesn't cover and the third forward isn't high and the puck slips past that pinching dman you got one dman back covering a 3-1 or 2-1 on a constant occurrence. The defensive zone coverage is a completely different topic. Lol. But I will make this one comment. This system is based on and is only successful with a good goalie who can make those odd man rushes. There will be breakdowns at times. Way too much now. But all you have to do is look at the canes. That 2-1 odd man rush rarely had a one timer attempt. The dman took that away. Shooter vs ward. That favors ward. He knew he had the shooter.

Great post. Exactly. When you play the game you understand. And when you have young foprwards like Schenn, Couts, etc., you do have those issues staying high in the zone. I think that we can both agree that Bryz is average on odd man rush so does that mean that we have added another layer of liability, not to mention that we have a D that is far from mobile, especially recovering. They have enough of an issue just getting control of the puck in their own zone and then transitioning. It's not Laviolette.

• Like 1

No it does NOT mean Lindy Ruff is coming to Philly.

I don't know why his name keeps coming up, but he might be THE worst possible choice one could make. I have no idea why he lasted so long in Buffalo. He's a horrible coach who single-handedly squandered teams that should have done much better than they did. He's the biggest whiner coach this side of Pat Quinn and just a miserable all-around person. I would find another team to cheer for or switch to soccer if this ridiculous front office brought his sorry ass to Philly.

With the kids on this roster, I wouldn't be opposed to bringing an established WHL or Q coach in. There's a handful of assistants in the NHL I would take a look at, too. I'd even look at some of the coaches in the AHL. But never in a million years would I hire Lindy Ruff.

• Like 1

At the risk of sounding like a smart ass, if they have agreed to the trades, why the hell haven't they been traded yet? It's not like this team has improved their play in the last week!

If that is true they I would say we are in a true D re-build. We had three legit D-men. Pronger, Carle, and Kimmo. Pronger was like taking your finger out of the hole in the dam when he went down. We now have one legit D and if Kimmo traded we are in a full scale D-rebuild. But I do not see how the Flyers would not be a buyer either.

I do not agree with firing Lavy at this particular juncture, however, when you look at the options the Flyers have... an obvious one would be to fire the coach. We have an overpriced goalie on the books for the next 100 years. Apparently, he doesn't work with the coach's run and gun system. Neither do a lot of the other players... it would seem.

So, you're Homer and Snider... what's the easiest solution? Find a coach who can make these pieces fit into a 'system'. I like Lavy and I like him as a coach, but I'll say one thing that is not in his favor is that he has NOT adjusted to his players at all. If they're not going to adjust to him, then maybe he does need to go.

I dunno what the best solution is really.. but, I'd prefer they didn't make any moves this season.... except moves that work toward the future. Trade Briere, Timo... whomever else is aging and wanted on a playoff team. We're not making the playoffs... we should be sellers. Let's get our prospect pool stocked.

His system is no different then the system I played under. It's an aggressive puck pursuit in offensive zone....The defensive zone coverage is a completely different topic.

well, here is part of the problem, exactly. you're right, laviolette's system is aggressive puck persuit in the offensive zone. and defensive zone coverage isn't a different topic so much as it is essentially unaddressed. just as hitchcock's system focused almost exclusively on defensive zone coverage, laviolette is almost exclusively offensive zone. hitchcock trusted his forwards to know what they were doing enough to build any offense on their own when they saw opportunities, and laviolette trusts his players to know what they are doing enough to cover defensively when the puck cannot be contained in the offensive zone. hitchcock's system worked while a team is laden with offensive veterans who had the NHL experience to know how to get it done, but once his team started filling up with younger players, offense pretty much dried up completely. and that got him fired. appropriately. his approach to coaching was no longer the right one for the roster he had, and he was unwilling/unable to adjust. laviolette's system works while he has a large number of savy vets around who do know where to go and how to decide on coverages on the fly, but once he has a ton of kids who need to more specific direction -and who can't maintain that 75% offensive zone posession his system relies on- things become a mess. it may very well get him fired. appropriately. his approach to coaching isn't the right one for the roster he has. we'll see if he can adjust, but i'm not holding my breath.

the thing here, though, is in 2 or 3 years, this roster may very well be back in a position to succeed with a system like laviolette's. almost want to sign him to a 5 year contract, and call him an adivisor for a few years while the team brings in a defensive-minded coach to bridge the gap, and then put him back behind the bench when the defensive fundamentals have been drilled into the under-25 crowds' heads.

anyway, at this point, the best step forward for the team probably is a different coach. not because laviolette has screwed up in any particular way, but because his game just doesn't fit the state of the roster.

also, to anyone talking about bringing in elliot to replace bryzgalov. no. seriously: no. the only problem solved by having him in net instead of bryzgalov is the contract problem. might as well bring leightonen up, if that is the only goal.

• Like 1

@DaGreatGazoo

Great question and I asked that as well. Apparently there are a lot of reasons. The main issues are cap hit and waiting for the flyers to actually become sellers. Both big players wanna stay but if they can help improve the team by moving on the will. Briere has been made aware this is his last year with philly no matter what. It's business.

@Bakanekimiwa

I am wondering (I am not picking because I've heard/read others say this and I think I've actually said it myself), but what "system" would these players fit into, exactly?

I think the forwards ARE probably best-suited for the run and gun that we have now. Clearly, the defensemen aren't. Nor the goalie. But looking at the scrap heap we lovingly call a defense, I'm wondering what they would be suited for. Gervais, last I looked (before last night's follies) was a -74 for his career. He's never been a plus player on any team in any system. Short of playing on grass (either the field kind or the smoking kind), I'm not sure what he'd be suited for. Same with Foster.

Coburn, Timo, Grossman, Schenn and Mezaros. Are we suggesting 1990's Devils' system? 1997 Red Wings?

I know it sounds like I'm being smarmy (go figure), but I really don't know what this group was built to do, because I'm not sure it's hockey.

Mezaros has been hurt, but they knew that coming in. Coburn is having a horrible year, but he's had other horrible years and picked it up for stretches. Timo is a step or two slower. Schenn is developing, but I don't know what to expect there. That leaves Grossman.

And what kind of system wouldn't involve the goalie learning to, I don't know, square himself with the shooter?

What kind of system are we talking about? (Don't worry, I"m not planning on forwarding your response to my source)

TPanotch is saying that Homer gave Lavy TWO votes of confidence and said the players need to play better.

This from the guy who thought Boosh and Leighton would be good choices for backup goaltender.

interestingly... just after i read your post, i see a tweet from panotch where he asked homer if he'd fire Lavvy. 'I haven't even thought about it" was his response.