Glad to see our $51million goalie can't.......

Samifan

stop a wrap around attempt in the 3rd period of a must win game! Defensive issues aside WTF?

Flyers slogan for next season should be:

Flyers Hockey, our goalies will give up at least one soft goal a game or your money back!

In all seriousness, he did have a good first period. It could/should have been 3-0 or 4-0 at the ten minute mark.

They finally got the first goal and it actually got worse. Look, I know there was some positioning issues on the later goals, but I honestly don't know what you want the guy to do. The team disappeared on him completely and his confidence is at least as brittle as theirs.

Oh, and I know the one about how they were creeping back into it and he gave up a goal a minute and a half after they made it 3-2. Creep back in my ass. The first one bounces in quite a lucky way off Simmonds skate. The second goal goes in off Voracek's chin. Yeah, they got a couple lucky bounces, but they weren't pressuring or carrying the play or any of that. They got two lucky bounces and the universal suckage continued.

You have Timonen playing like it was his first game rather than just celebrating his 1000th. Coburn may actually be legally brain dead. Luke Schenn played poorly. Mez is completely worthless. And then the ECHLers. I mean really. Defensemen running all over the place, two on the wrong side, randomly lofting the puck up in their own player's face because despite having plenty of time they rush the puck in a panicked move to get rid of it. I mean, the only thing missing was the Keystone Cops music. And we're going to then post afterward about how Bryz sucked because he couldn't stop 5 on nothing, had a few that were roofed "where daddy keeps the playboys" (I kind of like that one, Copyright Therien) and sarcastically say he had a good first.

I'm not a Bryz fan. But I honestly don't know how you come away from that cluster last night calling out Bryz. Maybe two players showed up last night. Simmonds and.....okay, one player showed up last night.

This team is just utterly pathetic.

• Like 1

@ruxpin

I hope you're not talking to me. Bryz played well in the first. Then i had to go. I didn't see the rest.

But I was pretty sure what was going to happen.

As for the team disappearing in front of him, I agree. This season is done. He brought it on himself though. The team has zero confidence in the guy, and they play like it.

Edited by flyercanuck

All- I was calling out Bryz for killing the momentum by allowing Nash's wrap-around goal. I agree it should have been 4-0 in the first and Bryz kept it close. That being said in typical Philadelphia Flyer Goaltender fashion, a weak/soft goal kills us. The expressions on the bench after the 4th goal spoke volumns.

Bryz HAS NOT BEEN the problem this year, it's our ****ty D and forwards that are playing soft in the defensive zone.

• Like 1

@Samifan

Sorry for the tone. Just really pissed off at this team all the way around.

Poorly constructed NHL squad whose results are fairly close to what should have been reasonably expected

--Average goalie given the GDP of a mid-sized Arab country

--A player made captain who really has no business being captain

--NMC/NTCs handed out like a PEZ dispenser gone postal.

--Letting Jagr and Carle go without even talking to them and replacing them with Gervais, Fedotenko, Foster, and Knuble

--Trading for Gagne and thinking that was even worth the idea

--Going into a season with absolutely no backup. The three-four year dance with Leighton makes my head explode

--Thinking Grossman, Timonen, Coburn, Mez, Gervais, Foster was an NHL defense

--A coaching staff made up of people including Craig Berube.

--A "system" (term used lightly and NO I WON'T EMAIL IT TO YOUR DAMN SOURCE!) that is probably counterproductive given the make up of the team and the shortened season/condensed schedule.

--The incessant line changing. Dude, if you have **** playing with **** attempting to do ****, you're still going to end up with ****.

--Just to name a few mindnumbing problems with the team and the GM that put it "together" (term used lightly)

Worse AHL squad

A dearth of draft picks

Either no plan or a really bad one.

No acknowledgement of the fans coming back from the lockout.

Just a cluster of an organization all the way around.

• Like 4

another "why can't Bryz...?" thread?

Insanity is repeating the same behavior expecting different results.

How about: WHY DID THE FLYERS SIGN BRYZ TO THIS RIDICULOUS CONTRACT?

Or, maybe: WHY DO WE HAVE ANY FAITH THEY WILL GET IT RIGHT NEXT TIME?

• Like 1

@ruxpin

I hope you're not talking to me. Bryz played well in the first. Then i had to go. I didn't see the rest.

But I was pretty sure what was going to happen.

As for the team disappearing in front of him, I agree. This season is done. He brought it on himself though. The team has zero confidence in the guy, and they play like it.

The post was inspired by you but not really directed at YOU. The "you" in the post was just a general "anyone." Just venting at the inanity of this team.

another "why can't Bryz...?" thread?

Insanity is repeating the same behavior expecting different results.

How about: WHY DID THE FLYERS SIGN BRYZ TO THIS RIDICULOUS CONTRACT?

Or, maybe: WHY DO WE HAVE ANY FAITH THEY WILL GET IT RIGHT NEXT TIME?

Or WHY EFFING BOTHER? THEY DON'T.

@ruxpin

No need to apologize. Your post is spot on. I went to the Phantoms game this past Sunday and outside of Gus, there is no defensive help on the farm. Lilja mailed it in and Manning was a healthy scratch probably because he is a whopping -27 on the season. The best player on the ice was McGinn and he was recalled immediately after the game.

This franchise has alot to fix and sadly it probably won't happen overnight.

• Like 1

The team has zero confidence [FULL STOP]. and they play like it.

Yeah, the team has no confidence in Bryz. The team also has no confidence in themselves. Bryz "stands on his head" in the first period. They're not inspired by it; they continue to sleep walk. Bryz finally gives one up that it's difficult to blame on him (it's not the goalie's job to stop the puck, after all) and the entire team withers into a cookie-less Brownie troop. Seriously, as bad as they were from the start of the game, they took suckage to a whole new level after the first goal. They've scored something like three 5-on-5 goals in like 17 games or some ridiculous number (I forget what they said) and are now 0-12 when losing after the first period. That's season long, even when Bryz was playing better.

With the confidence thing, I'm not sure whether the chicken came first or the egg. It's got to be tough to play goal with the knowledge that if I let ONE get by me, this game is over because the team is going to fold.

I get the players have no confidence in Bryz on a certain level, but I think the reverse should be just as arguable. I would also argue that neither Bryz nor the skaters have any confidence in themselves.

And the coach, with his incessant changing the lines shows no confidence in his players or himself either. He's just throwing crap on the wall with the unimaginable hope that something clicks. Well, it's not going to click after one shift or one period or even one game. Have some confidence and some actual logical thought in what you're putting together and let it stay there for some time and let it gel.

I do think confidence might be at the root, FC, but it's pretty universal. Hard to say which came first.

@radoran

Have faith (see sig)

Great, so they'll draft another forward, be disappointed in two years after he didn't set the world on fire as a third line defensive forward and ship him off for another team's disappointing defenseman.

See, I don't expect different results :)

• Like 1

@ruxpin

I don't know about you, but I haven't been confident in him since day 1. I've seen him play well for stretches, and play horrible for stretches, and play mediocre for stretches. I've seen him do all 3 in a span of minutes. He's consistently inconsistant (like my spelling). Of all the parts of a team, you need your goalie to be somewhat consistent. A team can thrive on that. I honestly think the Bryzgalov experiment has destroyed the soul of the Flyers. But that's just me. It's not like we've had good goaltending in forever.

• Like 1

Well whatever. Bryzgalov sucks but even he shouldn't be asleep when Rick Nash has the puck behind the net.

[edit: It's silly to call that goal a "back-breaker" given the state of the Flyers. But it was.]

Edited by canoli

Well whatever. Bryzgalov sucks but even he shouldn't be asleep when Rick Nash has the puck behind the net.

[edit: It's silly to call that goal a "back-breaker" given the state of the Flyers. But it was.]

If that was a "back-breaker" shouldn't we have seen some evidence before now that the team itself actually does have a spine?

:ph34r:

• Like 2

If that was a "back-breaker" shouldn't we have seen some evidence before now that the team itself actually does have a spine?

:ph34r:

for that look no further than their CAPTAIN!

Seriously, if Giroux, Simmonds, Rinaldo, Hartnell, Timonen - a few others I'm forgetting - don't have spines (a.k.a. "will to win") - even if it hasn't been matched this year with a high level of execution... than nobody has one.

[edit: Unfortunately you're right though, there hasn't been much evidence of a TEAM SPINE this year - in fact no evidence. That's what happens when individuals continually make the same mistakes, for whatever reason, and the team's "will to win" just evaporates, collapses.]

Edited by canoli

at this point, I really hope this team tanks even more. I watch each game with amused interest. I hope for rinaldo to beat someone up and for Giroux to have a highlight goal.

After that, I just laugh. Its not a ha- ha, laugh. It s a disgusted I can't believe it is really this bad laugh.

The farther they fall the better the chance of getting a good draft pick

• Like 3

[edit: Unfortunately you're right though, there hasn't been much evidence of a TEAM SPINE this year - in fact no evidence. That's what happens when individuals continually make the same mistakes, for whatever reason, and the team's "will to win" just evaporates, collapses.]

Yeah, I'm more looking at the team as a whole than as individuals.

NOTHING pisses me off about a hockey team more than "quit" - and this team has shown "quit" in spades this season.

And, while I will acknowledge that Bryzaster hasn't set the world on fire, he clearly has played well to start games while his teammates have been skating through syrup up until the point where they have a defensive lapse leading to a goal, and then... quit.

Replace the goalie. Replace the #1 C playing on the wing. Get some defensive help.

But at least make it look like you care about being embarassed on the ice in the meantime.

NOTHING pisses me off about a hockey team more than "quit" - and this team has shown "quit" in spades this season.

I don't know, maybe it is all about Losing Pronger, Jagr and Carle + replacing them with pretend NHLers like Gervais and Foster. But "coming up small" seems to be a disease that quickly spread throughout the lineup. I can't help but feel that Patient Zero is Ilya Bryzgalov. I go back to last year when the team is exceeding expectations on so many levels, only to see your Big FA goalie blow 3, 4, FIVE goal leads...maybe it starts to take a toll ... carries over a bit to next [this] year...then the lockout and guys start thinking FU Ed...there's no Jagr and his midnight workout madness, no Pronger...stuff adds up... Yeah they're supposed to be pros, they're paid millions...but feelings, resentments, they get in the way of the best of us sometimes.

edit: I guess my point is the "quit" started before this season. It began the minute the Pens' series was finished. I can't lay it ALL on Bryzgalov but boy did he suck for most of last year...and frankly he was the only one, everybody else was "over-achieving," if there is such a thing. By rights Bryzgalov should've been forgiven for last year and started this year fresh (which he did on his own) but so much other resentment-producing crap happened that now - now who cares?

Edited by canoli
  • Like 2

@canoli "But "coming up small" seems to be a disease that quickly spread throughout the lineup."

Some will scoff at this notion, but at least partly blame Danny.B for this. Once he stopped hustling and just "going through the motions", Lavi had a small window to tighten up the ship and bench him, or even press box him. When Lavi did not do this, it left the door open for others to follow suit, they knew not playing at 100% would not have consequences....at least not for guys who were on the roster bubble. Sure, there is a level of professionalism expected with a million dollar plus paycheque....but athletes are human, and inevitably will revert to the childish "how much can I get away with" type of thinking. Hard core old school players would never sink to that line of thinking, but they are far and few between.

• Like 1