Mason signs extension

http://flyers.nhl.co...blog.htm?id=804

VOORHEES, N.J. – When Paul Holmgren announced that Steve Mason was going to be one of the Flyers two goalies for the rest of this year and next season too, he wasn’t kidding.

Mason, 24, who would have been a restricted free agent in the summer, signed a one-year contract extension with the Flyers worth $1.5 million.

Mason has played just one period thus far for the Flyers, making nine saves on nine shots in a 4-1 loss to the Winnipeg Jets Saturday in relief of starter Ilya Bryzgalov.

Mason, the 2009 Calder Trophy winner as a rookie with the Columbus Blue Jackets, was acquired in a trade last week in exchange for Michael Leighton and a 2015 third round draft pick.

Mason has a career record of 96-99-27 with a 2.90 goals against average and a .903 save percentage. He also has 19 career shutouts.

I’ll have more from Mason on this after practice…

While everyone was saying (writing) he's looking at $2mil, maybe even $2.3, in the game chat Sat. I said I wouldn't be surprised if it was $1.5. And there it is. Well done Homer.

I honestly hoped they would take a look at him before re-signing him. But a one year $1.5 mil is fine by me. At least there's some potential there. And no NMC. See Homer, you can do it, even if he isn't old enough to get one anyway.

• Like 1

whaddya mean? They did take a look at him. For 20 minutes. On Saturday. Where were you? :)

Seriously though, why delay? If you can't trust your scouts and your goalie coach you got bigger problems than a $1.5mil deal. Not only that, in this short lockout season, with all the Flyers' injuries on D and the way the team has played in general...rating the goalie is pretty hard to do. That's why I'm afraid Rad is probably right, Bryzgalov is here 1 more year, hopefully with Mason competing for his job and not just a once-every-8-games backup.

whaddya mean? They did take a look at him. For 20 minutes. On Saturday. Where were you? :)

Seriously though, why delay? If you can't trust your scouts and your goalie coach you got bigger problems than a $1.5mil deal. Not only that, in this short lockout season, with all the Flyers' injuries on D and the way the team has played in general...rating the goalie is pretty hard to do. That's why I'm afraid Rad is probably right, Bryzgalov is here 1 more year, hopefully with Mason competing for his job and not just a once-every-8-games backup.

I can see a 60/20 type Bryz/Mason split next season. Pending the performance of either of them. I do not see a "tandem" but I do see them giving mason enough time to show if they still "need" Bryz.

@canoli

I'm OK with one more year of Bryz. As long as I don't know about it until next year (so I can enjoy my summer) and there's a promise, an unbreakable one, that he is gone after that. Maybe we get Nurse (Or Jones) this year, and Ekblad next. That in itself would be worth having the most despised Flyer of alltime for 3 seasons.

I'm only afraid that Bryzgalov may do just enough right and they won't buy him out after next year. And if Rad is even somewhat close and it's 60 for Bryzgalov and 20 games for Mason... is that enough for Mason, for anybody to get his swagger back, especially a goaltender who's problem has been Confidence & Focus? I'd like to see Mason get a real audition next year - split the work evenly or even more games for Mason. Christsakes we already know what we have in Brzygalov.

[edit: but I agree with your point - if we do land one of the top D-men in this year's draft it's worth putting up with Brygalov next year. As long as, like you say he's gone after that.]

Edited by canoli

@canoli

I don't expect this team to be fixed next year. One draft isn't going to turn the tables. Jones might be a bit of help, but he's hardly going to be a great NHLer off the bat. Nurse likely would stay in junior. The forwards give us depth, but don't help the gaping wound on D.

I'm only afraid that Bryzgalov may do just enough right and they won't buy him out after next year. And if Rad is even somewhat close and it's 60 for Bryzgalov and 20 games for Mason... is that enough for Mason, for anybody to get his swagger back, especially a goaltender who's problem has been Confidence & Focus? I'd like to see Mason get a real audition next year - split the work evenly or even more games for Mason. Christsakes we already know what we have in Brzygalov.

[edit: but I agree with your point - if we do land one of the top D-men in this year's draft it's worth putting up with Brygalov next year. As long as, like you say he's gone after that.]

I would love them to do more of a 50/30 split. But if Laviolette is going to run Bryz into the ground in a shortened season, playing more games in a shorter period of time, I'm not exactly convinced that he's going to do a better job this season.

I do think you'll see "the hot hand" term used a lot next year.

ya after what he (all of them) did to Bob - and lucking into Ward the way he did - I have little faith in Lavy's ability to handle goaltenders. What I read/hear Reese is a smart guy but apparently his voice isn't heard beyond the technical aspects of goaltending. You would think "workload" should be one of the aspects the goalie coach would influence but...whatever.

oh god - LOL - funny stuff (and possibly the worst photoshopping I've ever seen!)

That is awesome. Honestly, I publicly stated before that I don't want to make the playoffs for an opportunity to draft someone like Darnell Nurse who is a defenseman we can build around.

I was hoping that the team would give Mason a LONG look the remainder of the season to see if he has regained some of his stuff from his rookie season.

I was a Bryz supporter but now I am kind of on the fence. If Mason can start 5 games the rest of the season and shows enough to the Flyers brass he could shoulder the load, I would seriously consider giving Bryz the heave ho in the offseason. Getting rid of Bryz and Briere's contracts this offseason would allow the Flyers to use some cap space to strengthen the team in other areas.

Getting rid of Bryz and Briere's contracts this offseason would allow the Flyers to use some cap space to strengthen the team in other areas.

I find it hard to understand the opposition to this. To me it's a no-brainer. You have the 2 amnesty buyouts, why wait? Now Mason is on board for a year, any ol' middle-of-the-road type ($1mil - $3mil) can serve as his partner and you're left with Mega-Millions to add what you need - Defense mostly. You also bank some so you have it when Giroux, Jake - ? - need new contracts next year.

• Like 2

I find it hard to understand the opposition to this. To me it's a no-brainer. You have the 2 amnesty buyouts, why wait? Now Mason is on board for a year, any ol' middle-of-the-road type ($1mil - $3mil) can serve as his partner and you're left with Mega-Millions to add what you need - Defense mostly. You also bank some so you have it when Giroux, Jake - ? - need new contracts next year.

I expect them to buy them out "as needed." If they don't "need" to, then they won't - this year.

As for the "mega-millions to sign D" - they will need a significant part of those "millions" to re-sign Giroux/BSchenn/Couturier after next season. Can't just devote all that money (remember, the cap is dropping) to "defense." Also, too, it's not like the UFA crop has a bunch of top flight guys waiting to be signed:

http://www.capgeek.com/free-agents/?year_id=2013&team_id=-1&position_id=D&fa_type_id=2

If they find a good trade to make, they can pull the trigger on the buyout and accomplish it.

To be clear - I'll be happy as heck when they buy them out.

I dunno. I'm thinking this year he's out. Not only do I think it is the best thing to do...I think snider's PR obsession will demand it. Bryzgalov was brought in as The Big Aquisition to show the world the flyers were serious about fixing The Goalie Problem. Now, they have The Brygalov Problem being the talk of the league. Biting the cash bullet is the only way to address that in a suitably big way. Thoughtful consideration and taking all the time available to make changes isn't how this management team works.

• Like 2

@aziz I think he's out this summer, for a few reasons. Homer loves to tinkle with the line up through free agency, keeping Bryz in a season where the cap goes down, prevents this to a large extent. Plus the ol' if he's not part of the solution, he's part of the problem type thinking....which has become increasingly obvious. Ed does not like losing, and Bryz is a big part of the losing. A cheaper goalie with more upside can be found for half the price. Ed does not like being a laughing stock, he hates it more than admitting he's wrong in my estimation.

Exactly, I think Snider will feel he has to make another show about dealing with the problem.

And, like you said, that cap space would be very helpful to have available this summer.

@aziz I think he's out this summer, for a few reasons. Homer loves to tinkle with the line up through free agency, keeping Bryz in a season where the cap goes down, prevents this to a large extent. Plus the ol' if he's not part of the solution, he's part of the problem type thinking....which has become increasingly obvious. Ed does not like losing, and Bryz is a big part of the losing. A cheaper goalie with more upside can be found for half the price. Ed does not like being a laughing stock, he hates it more than admitting he's wrong in my estimation.

You are coming at this from the perspective of "Ed surely thinks he screwed up with Bryz." I'm not rushing to that conclusion.

There's no freaking way that Mike Milbury shrieking about Bryz helps Snider make that decision. If anything else, the opposite.

"It was a tough season with a bad start and we never got back to where we wanted to be. We had injuries up and down the lineup and a young core that hit a sophomore slump. We're convinced this team can compete for the Stanley Cup."

You might wanna mark this thread to compare to the quotes from the press conference :)