Mason signs extension

Exactly, I think Snider will feel he has to make another show about dealing with the problem.

And, like you said, that cap space would be very helpful to have available this summer.

What do you do with the cap space this summer that leaves cap space to sign Giroux/B Schenn/Couturier (and replace Timonen) after next summer?

Bryz is tied for 5th in wins, (basically because he has started so many games), but check out the GGA and SV%, DEAD LAST among the leaders in the top goalies......896 save percentage....that is POOP!!

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.htm?season=20122013&gameType=2&team=&position=G&country=&status=&viewName=summary#?navid=nav-sts-indiv

Don't know. But with timonen and meszaros coming off the books that summer, it's not like you have to save all of it.

Giroux probably looks to add $3mil or so to his salary, schenn maybe $1-2mil (depending on how he plays next season), couturier maybe $2. Kimo + mesz is a little over $10mil. Buy bryzgalov and briere out, sign a $1mil backup, put $3mil aside...and there is $8mil available for this summer. $3mil plus the $10mil from timonen and meszaros...$13mil to deal with the aforementioned FAs. Think it's be ok.

One thing to remember is that only one buyout can happen this summer. So if you want to buy out both Bryzgalov and Briere, Bryz plays next year. Otherwise, there's no point in buying out Briere the summer he becomes a UFA. I'd lean that way (Bryzgalov buyout this summer) anyway. See if someone wants to pick Briere up over the summer in a trade, or at the deadline, assuming he's healthy again.

I dunno. I'm thinking this year he's out. Not only do I think it is the best thing to do...I think snider's PR obsession will demand it. Bryzgalov was brought in as The Big Aquisition to show the world the flyers were serious about fixing The Goalie Problem. Now, they have The Brygalov Problem being the talk of the league. Biting the cash bullet is the only way to address that in a suitably big way. Thoughtful consideration and taking all the time available to make changes isn't how this management team works.

I wouldn't bet the farm on that.

http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-philadelphia-flyers/ed-snider-shares-his-unhappiness-flyers-poor-record

Snider wanted the club to sign Ilya Bryzgalov to a long-term deal, and despite the Russian’s up and down season, the chairman still stands behind his goaltender.

“I don't think Bryzgalov has been the problem,” Snider said. “I mean, he's had to face so many breakaways and 2-on-1s where we turn over the puck suddenly. I think it's the team. I think we're fine in goal.”

• Like 1

You sign Schenn, Couturier, and Giroux to extensions this summer. Then see how much you have left over in 2014-15.

You have to fit extensions under the current cap. Or at least did under the previous CBA. I think that provision remains.

So if they do sign extensions, the new values have to fit. That *could* make it worthwhile to buy out either Bryz and/or Briere.

This goes back to the cap-strapped nature of the world that Homer and the Flyers enjoy living in.

I still think this is all wishful thinking when it comes to "What Ed Will Do".

Ah, did not know that was how it worked, that they had to be staggered.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=650548

I did not see anywhere in that article that the buy-outs had to be staggered but if that is the case, as much as I hate Bryz, Briere's 13 mil cap hit for the next 2 seasons is the first to go. His NMC/NTC makes it an absolute lock.

Also, if you get rid of Bryzgalov, would it be possible to sign someone like say Tim Thomas to split time with Mason? He could probably be signed to a 1 year deal also even if it cost a "little" more.....

Also, if you get rid of Bryzgalov, would it be possible to sign someone like say Tim Thomas to split time with Mason? He could probably be signed to a 1 year deal also even if it cost a "little" more.....

I would sign someone like Emery to split time. But as soon as they would do that Emery's hip would probably blow up. Isn't that how it works with Flyer goalies.

Edited by albertaflyer
  • Like 1

You have to fit extensions under the current cap. Or at least did under the previous CBA. I think that provision remains.

I believe that's under the current cap number, applied to the year the extension starts, since they don't know what the cap will be in out years, you have to assume no change. An extension doesn't change the cap hit for the year it is signed in - See Zajac's extension in Jersey. So in 2014-2015, based on next year's cap number, the Flyers currently have 20 million in cap space without using a buyout. So they shouldn't have to use a buyout if they want to extend those guys.

I believe that's under the current cap number, applied to the year the extension starts, since they don't know what the cap will be in out years, you have to assume no change. An extension doesn't change the cap hit for the year it is signed in - See Zajac's extension in Jersey. So in 2014-2015, based on next year's cap number, the Flyers currently have 20 million in cap space without using a buyout. So they shouldn't have to use a buyout if they want to extend those guys.

Cool. I didn't have chapter and verse, but remembered something about it being a problem - I think it might have been the excuse for why they weren't signing Jagr and Carle?

I don't expect either Bryz or Briere to be on the team in 14-15. 13-14? That's another story...

<br />If Bryz stays then we are spending $1.5mil on Mason as a back-up. Homer not wanting to spend that much on a back-up was the reason they traded Bob in the first place wasn't it? <br />

nah. that's pretty much standard not-completely-horrible backup salary.

If Bryz stays then we are spending $1.5mil on Mason as a back-up. Homer not wanting to spend that much on a back-up was the reason they traded Bob in the first place wasn't it?

There were many "reasons" floated as to why the Bob trade happened. All have a certain degree of validity. Well, OK. Most.

. Ed does not like being a laughing stock, he hates it more than admitting he's wrong in my estimation.

That and lets face it he ain't getting any younger...he wants to see one in his remaining life time....me too!!!!!!!!!

@aziz Homer loves to tinkle with the line up through free agency, keeping Bryz in a season where the cap goes down, prevents this to a large extent.

It was worth reading this entire topic thread to see you say Homer like to TINKLE! Lol

• Like 1