To those looking for top 5 pick, I need help

TedZep

@B21

We both know from experience actually watching these games that that would probably be a blank thread. Those calls just don't happen in real life.

As the resident expert at cheering for a deliberately tanking team, have you any other advice? Does the pain eventually go away? You appear to have a good soul, so it doesn't whither away completely... do you have to put it away in a special place to protect it until the draft picks start rolling in and you can let it back into the light again?

Well let's see. I was 9 years old the last time we tanked to get a player. I vaguely remember hating them losing but hearing all the talk on the local news about getting Mario.

As for the lean years in the early 2000's? Those were expected after they traded away Jagr. Sid's rookie year was a big disappointment considering all the big free agent signings but you knew Malkin was close to joining the team (he was in Russia that year) and you'd get a crack at another decent player (which turned out to be Staal).

You guys just suck at the wrong time. Trading away Vezina candidates as a way to fix a decades-long goaltedning problem doesn't help either.

Speaking for myself, I cannot, and will not, hope the flyers lose no matter who's available. Say you tank, as other teams have, there's a chance as well you draft an Alex Daigle,Pat Falloon,Pavel Brendl,Stefan I lived in Pittsburgh when the Crosby sweepstakes happened and seeing a lot of fans celebrating a tank job made me sick! To their credit, the guy's I worked with, and im sure there were others, admitted to the tanking and were sickened by it. A lot of fair weather fans were the ones wanting the tank IMO.

Except they didn't tank. Carry on.

You're probably right but I think they're still in the running for Nurse, who I would love to get. And there are a couple other good dmen that should be available somewhere in the 5-10 range who could help this team.

I was reading up on Darnell Nurse on HF and he sounds like a real winner. Tremendous player and a leader too. Did you see that he has a Philly connection? Donovan McNabb is an uncle and mentor. They talk a couple times a week.

I was reading up on Darnell Nurse on HF and he sounds like a real winner. Tremendous player and a leader too. Did you see that he has a Philly connection? Donovan McNabb is an uncle and mentor. They talk a couple times a week.

Does that mean he will 'aw shucks' every goal against?

Yeah, I was aware of that. I hope that if the Flyers do get him, the media doesn't go crazy with that. At least McNabb could warn him about some of the dangers of playing in Philly. But I really like Nurse. From the little I've seen he's an excellent skater and has a mean streak. I've seen him compared to a young Pronger, which is premature obviously, but if you're going to be compared to anyone it might as well be Pronger.

Trading away Vezina candidates as a way to fix a decades-long goaltedning problem doesn't help either.

The Flyers have a history of trading away future Stanley Cup champions, but I don't think Bobrovsky is going to get Columbus there anytime soon. Of course, he's not going to help the Flyers get there either. If he does lead Columbus (or any other team, for that matter) to the Promised Land, Holmgren's ensuing ulcer will gain sentience and eat him whole.

honestly, none of here can actually root for the flyers to lose if we are watching them play, we'll always get excited when they score and pissed when they get scored on.

The good news is that it is not as desperate pre-Lindros with Poulin. I am just pissed that Breezy is the thing that spiraled this sink hole.

The Flyers have a history of trading away future Stanley Cup champions, but I don't think Bobrovsky is going to get Columbus there anytime soon. Of course, he's not going to help the Flyers get there either. If he does lead Columbus (or any other team, for that matter) to the Promised Land, Holmgren's ensuing ulcer will gain sentience and eat him whole.

Agree. As impressive as he has been it's still an average team in front of him at best. Very interesting to see what they do with those 3 first round picks.

If they do make a run with in the next few years that splash you hear will be thousands of Flyers fans jumping of the Tacony-Palmyra Bridge.

This would be worse than Richards & Carter I think. Finding quality forwards has never been the Flyers problem and you got quality forwards (maybe better forwards long term) back for those guys. For Bob - not so much. At least Holgren hung onto the 2nd round pick you got for him.

how do I approach these last 10 games?

I always have plenty of my favorite beverage on hand and try to watch for positive signs from the younger guys and openly root for a win but secretly hope for a loss.

Last night against the Isles I watched how Mason player, watched the Big O to see if I saw improvement, looked for players who might have openly just quit, etc.

Yeah, I was aware of that. I hope that if the Flyers do get him, the media doesn't go crazy with that. At least McNabb could warn him about some of the dangers of playing in Philly. But I really like Nurse. From the little I've seen he's an excellent skater and has a mean streak. I've seen him compared to a young Pronger, which is premature obviously, but if you're going to be compared to anyone it might as well be Pronger.

Ya, nothing like overhyping a player and putting tons of pressure on him to achieve that level.

Read twice and that reply is still hilarious

Almost as hilarious as saying the Pens "tanked" to get Crosby when no season was played that year.

As for the other seasons early in that decade....prove it.

Ya, nothing like overhyping a player and putting tons of pressure on him to achieve that level.

I was thinking more along the lines of some of the less flattering McNabb jokes that made the rounds. Maybe you'd have to be an Eagles fan. (Be grateful you're not)

@B21

We both know from experience actually watching these games that that would probably be a blank thread. Those calls just don't happen in real life.

As the resident expert at cheering for a deliberately tanking team, have you any other advice? Does the pain eventually go away? You appear to have a good soul, so it doesn't whither away completely... do you have to put it away in a special place to protect it until the draft picks start rolling in and you can let it back into the light again?

Does the Pens success mean it was 100% due to one or two players being chosen?? Really? Who knew.

N

Almost as hilarious as saying the Pens "tanked" to get Crosby when no season was played that year.

As for the other seasons early in that decade....prove it.

No tanking, they just sucked. Kinda like us this year, but the pens suckage was for a prolonged period, hopefully not the model the flyers brain trust... Used very loosely, is following

A Kolvalev is you leader? No question , they just stank.

N

No tanking, they just sucked. Kinda like us this year, but the pens suckage was for a prolonged period, hopefully not the model the flyers brain trust... Used very loosely, is following

A Kolvalev is you leader? No question , they just stank.

Sucked would be an understatement.

No one said they tanked that year, just that they weighted the lottery using the '04 results 2 years in a row. Allowing your fortunate pens to effectively 'double-dip' the draft, thus landing the most coveted player in 15 years. Each team should've had equal chances in the lottery following the lockout. That's on the league, not the pens, who I believe were on the verge of folding at the time, needing some sort of injection of enthusiasm and revenue....... if only the league could figure out how to help them. Hmmmmmmmmmm.......

No one said they tanked that year, just that they weighted the lottery using the '04 results 2 years in a row. Allowing your fortunate pens to effectively 'double-dip' the draft, thus landing the most coveted player in 15 years. Each team should've had equal chances in the lottery following the lockout. That's on the league, not the pens, who I believe were on the verge of folding at the time, needing some sort of injection of enthusiasm and revenue....... if only the league could figure out how to help them. Hmmmmmmmmmm.......

1st - the poster said they did tank to get Crosby.

2nd - "fortunate" is the last thing the Pens were as far as "chances" to land Crosby.

If there were no lockout, only 14 teams would have had a shot at the #1 pick and the Pens, having the worst record, would have had a 25% chance of landing that pick.

With the system the league set up for the Crosby draft, the Pens had 3 of the 48 balls in the little lottery machine...or a 6.25% chance...and all 30 teams had a chance to get that pick including the Flyers.

My math is a little fuzzy but I think 25% is a lot better than 6.25%.

When you think about it - the league screwed the Pens in order to give playoff teams from the 2003-04 season (that would include the Flyers) a chance to land the #1 pick. If anyone should have been screaming, it was the teams that finished in the bottom 5 as they took a huge hit as far as the odds go.

Giving each team an equal chance is insane. Giving each team a chance is more than fair. Do the math...the Pens chances were just over 4% better than the Flyers chances.

3 balls - 6.25%

2 balls - 4.2%

1 ball - 2.1%

And before you start on the closed door conspiracies...every team had a representative in the room.

Hmmmmmmmm.

When you think about it - the league screwed the Pens in order to give playoff teams from the 2003-04 season (that would include the Flyers) a chance to land the #1 pick

I disagree. Those bottom teams got their pick in the 05' draft - done. In a season following where every team has a record of 0-0-0, all teams should get equal chances in the 06' draft class.

I was thinking more along the lines of some of the less flattering McNabb jokes that made the rounds. Maybe you'd have to be an Eagles fan. (Be grateful you're not)

Ya, I was just talking about the Pronger comparison. But if Philly does end up drafting him, I doubt having Uncle McNabb is going to help his cause

I disagree. Those bottom teams got their pick in the 05' draft - done. In a season following where every team has a record of 0-0-0, all teams should get equal chances in the 06' draft class.

Of course you disagree. You didn't win the lottery. At the end of the day the system they used was MORE than fair. The teams that were bad in 2003-04 took a HUGE hit as far as their chances go and the teams that were good were given an "almost" equal chance as those bad teams.

From year to year there is never enough fluctuation in draft position to justify giving every team an equal shot under the circumstances of the 2005 draft.

@TedZep - this is where it gets really challenging to be a true "tanker". Tonight you have to root for both the Rangers AND the Devils. Nobody said it would be a walk in the park.

Tonight I can root for the Hurricanes to beat the Capitals, a much easier task than your demonic suggestion.

• Like 1