Flyers lose out: Hartzell signs with Pens

Guest brelic

We lost out on signing free agent college goalie Eric Hartzell to the Pens.

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/2013/4/14/4225100/eric-hartzell-contract-penguins-flyers

What does that say about the Flyers organization when a young free agent goalie would rather sign with the Penguins?

Penguins - a team with a defined #1 goalie just entering his prime and really no room for Hartzell to become #1 for at least 5-6 years

Flyers - a team in goaltending disarray that may sever ties with its $51M mistake, and in desperate need for someone - ANYONE - to come in and take the #1 job.

If you were a goalie, would you sign with the Flyers?

They also have Anthony Stolarz, Chris Mason and a number of other guys 24 and under. How many young goaltenders dose a team need? On this level, his decision makes sense.

• Like 1

They also have Anthony Stolarz, Chris Mason and a number of other guys 24 and under. How many young goaltenders dose a team need? On this level, his decision makes sense.

The only realistic option at this point is Mason. Stolarz is an 18 year old kid, Heeter is 24 and has yet to sniff the NHL other than a bench warmer. So Hartzell, at 23, would have been at the top of the depth chart, next in line behind Mason and Bryz.

I didnt have my glasses on and thought it said Hartnell signs with Pens. I thought it was too good to be true!

yeah, I thought it said "Hartnell" as well. then I saw the HartZell, and thought to my self "who on earth is Hartzell??" then I was sure it was a spelling mistake and it was supposed to say HartNell, which made me go wtf??

confusing, yes I know.

We lost out on signing free agent college goalie Eric Hartzell to the Pens.

http://www.broadstre...penguins-flyers

What does that say about the Flyers organization when a young free agent goalie would rather sign with the Penguins?

Penguins - a team with a defined #1 goalie just entering his prime and really no room for Hartzell to become #1 for at least 5-6 years

Flyers - a team in goaltending disarray that may sever ties with its $51M mistake, and in desperate need for someone - ANYONE - to come in and take the #1 job.

Smart move. I don't think they are lacking faith in Fleury but you can never have enough prospects in the pipeline at any position and with Crosby and Malkin taking up such a large share of cap space, teams like the Pens need affordable replacements in the system.

I think the age factor coupled with the recent trade for and brief extension of Mason's contract made our team less attractive for getting playing time even in the A.

If I were him I'd figure the team is at this point committed to bryz for a significant length of time, there are now 3 guys all my age or younger ahead of me on the depth chart to be the back up, again i say at this time, so where would i be playing if i sign with the flyers ECHL ? riding the bus in Glenn Falls behind Heeter and Boosh?

no thanks,

I get it. totally the pens situation has more upside since Vokun won't be any long term competition, i don't know what their situation at WB Scranton is but organizationally there is less of a log jam at goal. so within a year or two the young fella has a shot to be the back up to Fluery and the most popular guy in pittsburgh when 29's attention wanders.

Edited by mojo1917
  • Like 1

The fact that potential NHL goalies dont want anything to do with the Flyers surprises you? This franchise has mismanaged their goalies for 20 years! If I were a goalie, the Flyers are the last place I would look to sign.

The fact that potential NHL goalies dont want anything to do with the Flyers surprises you? This franchise has mismanaged their goalies for 20 years! If I were a goalie, the Flyers are the last place I would look to sign.

Idunno man. I'd want to believe that a goalie with ambitions (as all NHL players should have) would love the opportunity to solve one of the longest goalie crisis of any NHL team. I'd like to believe that they'd jump at the chance to play in on of the toughest markets and prove themselves.

But I guess, the pressure and stress, not to mention the goalie curse in philly just gets to them

Idunno man. I'd want to believe that a goalie with ambitions (as all NHL players should have) would love the opportunity to solve one of the longest goalie crisis of any NHL team. I'd like to believe that they'd jump at the chance to play in on of the toughest markets and prove themselves.

But I guess, the pressure and stress, not to mention the goalie curse in philly just gets to them

The team mismanages all goalies that I've seen. Regardless of talent. And I'd bet goalies shy away from that. Agents probably pay close attention to such things.

Right, but the day the Flyers get a good goalie - who plays well in Philly - he'll have a statue the day he retires. And be an immortal part of Flyers history. Kind of a high reward to go with the risk no?

Sure, but we'll trade him for a 2nd and two 4ths before he really gets going in Philly.

:ph34r: