The Other Way To Move Up In The Draft

radoran

Bernier is an RFA after this season. Why trade anything for him?

Offer sheet him for $2M, or threaten to and see if LA takes a 2nd for him (the RFA compensation for a $2M offer). Homer hates 2nds anyway.

Obviously, you're not making a deal rightnow for a pick (which hasn't even been determined yet). You're waiting until the draft and sounding out where players are going.

In addition, don't you almost have to go for a trade with whoever gets #1 or #2? Imagine you trade your #8 and Couturier for the #3 overall pick and Jones and Nurse go 1 -2?

That's why you discuss the trade and details up front, but only pull the trigger on draft day AFTER the other two teams have made their picks.

If the guy you want is gone, no deal.

• Like 1

then what will it take?

It would most likely start with Couturier + Flyers 1st. Then add something like B Schenn or Read, then add some more. Basically any team that is willing to pass on Jones is not going to be willing to pass on MacKinnon and Drouin as well, unless there is a massive overpayment. Most likely you'd have to have a top 5 (maybe even top 3) pick to trade up for #1.

@Polaris922

No offence but if your views on Laughtons development include the word power forward (he's about 6' and 175 lbs) I'm going to call your scouting report drunk. Again it's pretty hard for you to evaluate an 18 year old kid in 5 games in the NHL. His junior team has him qbing the pp. Does that sound like a guy who's sole purpose is defence?

I don't see the #1 pick being traded for anything less than severe overpayment, which I want no part of.

I assumed at his age he's not done filling out. All reports say he plays a tough pbysical game, and my comment alluded to the idea that maybe that's the game he's trying for but just isn't there. I by no means said thats what he is or will be. Every bit of praise I've heard the kid get has been about speed, grit, and defensive commitment. Nothing really said about his touch, vision, or offense. He may have been a great find for a third line center, but he has a way to go before I'll change my point of view that he's going to be some kind of top six force in the NHL.

I felt differently about Couturier before this season. I hesitate to surrender that impression as sophomore struggles are quite common.

I think it depends on where we fall in the lottery.

I think a team can only win the lottery and the first pick or nothing at all, so say we finish with the 8th pick, we either win the lottery and pick first or we stay in 8th *unless a higher pick wins the lottery and bumps everyone back one spot in which case we get bumped to ninth. Note that with the Flyers luck I fully excpect the latter scenario to happen.

Wow that's a generally stupid system. I mean I get it. It's supposed to prevent people from throwing games in order to get #1 overall. But it does nothing to prevent people from throwing games to get #2, #3, #4 or #5.

If you know you're not making the playoff (cough cough sound like anyone we know?) but you also know that you're not going to be the WORST team in the league, what's to prevent you from throwing the last games of the season to make sure that you at least get #3 or #4 instead of #8 or #9?

Pride? I can't see how a team like these Flyers has much Pride at this point. They're a shameful embarrassment to all their fans.

I guess it's just an imperfect system for a situation that can easily be taken advantage of.

I love that all this happened because the Senators threw games to get Alexander friggin' Daigle. That's comedy at it's finest.

That said, I believe there were complains earlier that the Nordiques blew games to get Lindros too.

I think a team can only win the lottery and the first pick or nothing at all,

@Polaris922

With Giroux, Schenn, Couturier and Talbot ahead of him at the present time I can't see Laughton being more than a #3 center on the Flyers. There are plenty of teams that don't have the depth at that position that he could be a 2nd line center eventually on. Like when you guys had Stall at #3. There were more than a few teams that wished he was their 2nd line center, and probably more than 1 that would take him as their #1 (Toronto for starters)

Wow that's a generally stupid system. I mean I get it. It's supposed to prevent people from throwing games in order to get #1 overall. But it does nothing to prevent people from throwing games to get #2, #3, #4 or #5.

If you know you're not making the playoff (cough cough sound like anyone we know?) but you also know that you're not going to be the WORST team in the league, what's to prevent you from throwing the last games of the season to make sure that you at least get #3 or #4 instead of #8 or #9?

Pride? I can't see how a team like these Flyers has much Pride at this point. They're a shameful embarrassment to all their fans.

I guess it's just an imperfect system for a situation that can easily be taken advantage of.

I love that all this happened because the Senators threw games to get Alexander friggin' Daigle. That's comedy at it's finest.

That said, I believe there were complains earlier that the Nordiques blew games to get Lindros too.

The other side of this system prevents a truly bad team fromfaling too far from a top spot. How pissed would you be if you were Florida or Colorado and slipped all the way from the top pick to the 10th pick in a lottery and a team that really didnt need nearly as much help as you got the top pick?

Probably about as pissed if I was the worst team in the league and blew my 82% chance of getting Patrick Kane and ended up stuck with James Van Riemsdyk.

Patrick Kane joining the "Old City Crew"?

Lock up your daughters. On the positive side, the School District's $300M budget shortfall might have been less with all the extra per drink tax money...

Honestly, I doubt Kane would still be a Flyer had they drafted him.

• Like 2

why not laughton and a first for seth jones, we have courturier and cousins, we have to part with one of our centers for a d-man there's too many centermen on this team, this team needs a d-man more than a goalie right now besides good goalies can bought for less anyway, i dont want an overpayment for goalie anyway, it's too risky.

it's too risky to think that, someone in the top 5 will want jones, i doubt that jones will fall in the flyers lap.

-- I think that is what was saying...

As for Laughton and a first for Jones - keep dreaming.

Is Nurse a better prospect than Ristolainen? I thought it was kind of a toss up. Where's @jammer2? Who else is good with the hockey prospects. I'm not a good evaluator of hockey talent.

Well, he's certainly a higher ranked prospect at this point, by pretty much every scouting service around. From the few video samples I've seen of them, I think Nurse stands out as a better skater (not that Risto is a bad skater at all though). I would be happy with either of them.

@Phillygrump Like 99% of the posters here, I'd take Nurse over Risto any day of the week. Nurse is faster (although Risto does not look like a slouch in that dept, from the short clips I've seen) and more physical. All a moot point though, the wins last week cost us a shot at Nurse, and the most recent wins may very well have taken us right out of Risto range. Funny, at the end of the last week I muttered to myself "Risto, we hardly even got to know ya" ha ha.

@jammer2

It really is frustrating to have nothing to play for (and they can't say pride because that ship sailed for them earlier in the season too) and now start winning enough just to muck up their draft pick chances.

Does the lottery only apply to number one or are all the top 5 picks a lottery?

Regardless, today starts my 3 day Christmas in April. I can't believe the NFL draft is tonight. Who is your final prediction for the Birds?

Moving up in the draft is a choice that would prolly do more Damage then good. Lets say we finish with the 8th pick and florida finishes with number 1. What would it take to move up to that spot? They want a number one or two center most likely. So they would prolly go after mackinnon. We don't have that center they want in which we would be happy with trading. So lets scratch that off the list. Number two overall prolly will go to the aves. Now I can see a good chance here to move up. They have a lot of holes on offense and defense so I believe an offer of our 1st and read and coby might be a real good starting point. But I believe there are other teams willing to offer more for that pick for Seth jones. Our center position is really the only real strength we have. However, it's not a deep position for us. If they want Schenn we have no replacement for that. Laughton is not ready and coots is not the answer. Is there a trade that could evolve with one of their centers coming back? It's possible but that would require a blockbuster deal that would do a lot more damage to our roster to make happen. Even the thought of trading coots and our first will not be enou to land that pick. Maybe coots and our 1st and read and a dman going the other way is enough to land it. But in my mind that's too much to give up. It's prolly best to hold to our pick and select best available defenseman.

@Polaris922

I watched Boone Jenner (who I think is a really good prospect) and Mark Scheifele (who I think is also) along with Laughton in the playoffs. Laughton was excellent with AND without the puck. He's the best PKer on the ice for either team, and qbs the pp along with his regular shift. Here's the OHL scoring leaders this postseason Scheifele has been on fire lately....Laughton has fallen down the charts since his teams elimination, but look at everyones points, then look at games played

http://ontariohockeyleague.com/stats/show