Suspension for Gryba?

Guest ZeZel25

Scary moment in the Montreal/Ottawa game. Gryba laid out Eller and Eller was taken off on a stretcher. Facial fractures,concussion and more. Wish him well. Not if, but how many games does Gryba get? Looked clean too me but ya never know

Edited by twpguy

Looked like a Kronwall hit, never left his feet, moronic pass in open ice from Diaz, left his teammate Eller hung out to dry. Clean hit, feel for Eller but he really broke his face on the ice after what appears to be a beautiful shoulder on shoulder open ice hit caused by a feather pass by his own teammate.

• Like 2

That's a clean hit. Sorry for the result and wish Eller well, but that's a textbook open-ice body check right there.

And Diaz is a moron.

Seen Barry Melrose and he said it was a head shot and Gryba should be penalized... We shall see

Looked like a Kronwall hit

I know you are a detroit fan but that a Kronwall hit?!?!!? He hit him with his shoulder and not his butt and his skates were on the ice not off from his jump into the hit. The only thing dirty about that hit was the pass from Diaz.......

• Like 1

Seen Barry Melrose and he said it was a head shot and Gryba should be penalized... We shall see

Well, that about wraps it up, then.

Melrose says it's a head shot.

So - clean hit.

Obviously.

• Like 1

Huh. That's interesting. I disagree with Melrose, but that doesn't shock me. Kerry Frasier (sp?) was on TSN saying it was completely clean. As you say, we shall see.

Paul MacLean agrees. He's blaming Eric Gryba's hit on the pass made by Diaz. To which Brandon Prust replied....

"We don't really care about what that bug-eyed fat walrus has to say," Prust told the media.

Wish I had thought of that one.

• Like 1

I know you are a detroit fan but that a Kronwall hit?!?!!? He hit him with his shoulder and not his butt and his skates were on the ice not off from his jump into the hit. The only thing dirty about that hit was the pass from Diaz.......

By Kronwall hit I meant devastating open ice hit. Loved the hit,

Clean hit... DIAZ can not make that pass - period. Clean hit and lead with the shoulder. league is becoming a joke..... stop penalizing for the result. Fine Diaz for making a stupid play then...

I haven't seen Shanny's video yet but what I believe he will state is that this hit was blindside with full force. It's in the category of the Harry Z and Richard's / Booth hit that the NHL wants to eliminate from the game.

• Like 1

I haven't seen Shanny's video yet but what I believe he will state is that this hit was blindside with full force. It's in the category of the Harry Z and Richard's / Booth hit that the NHL wants to eliminate from the game.

IF that's the rationale, I really don't understand what the expect Gryba to do in that situation - allow the pass and have Eller gather the puck at speed in the neutral zone?

The thing that needs to be eliminated from the game is the stupid pass from Diaz.

Also, for the record, Z left his feet on the Lundin hit. Bears no relation to Gryba's.

Waiting for the video...

Yes, Z left his feet and got twice as many games. But I think it blindside because Eller is looking for the pass up the ice to his right and while Gryba hits him from the left as he connects with the pass. If Gryba waits one sec Eller sees him and can brace for the hit.

By Kronwall hit I meant devastating open ice hit. Loved the hit,

I thought the hit was awesome, the only rotten part was Ellers faceplanting on the ice (now if that had happened to someone deserving of such a fate...). Gryba is being penalized for the result no matter what Shanahan says. If Gryba had hit him skating upright he would have separated his head from his body. Instead he bent his knees and lowered his shoulder trying to hit Ellers solely and squarely in the chest. The puck was in play at the scene of the so called crime so it is a hockey play and Gryba did take the body or at least appeared to from the angles I saw.

• Like 1

Yes, Z left his feet and got twice as many games. But I think it blindside because Eller is looking for the pass up the ice to his right and while Gryba hits him from the left as he connects with the pass. If Gryba waits one sec Eller sees him and can brace for the hit.

That's really my point - this is "the fastest game on ice"; players can get going 20-25 miles an hour pretty easily.

If Gryba "waits a second" in that situation, that can be the difference between the puck being stopped in the neutral zone and Eller, with speed, on a breakaway.

As a defensive coach, you want your players to stop that play. Players that "wait a second" before doing so don't last too long in the NHL.

As an offensive coach, you don't want your players hung out to dry like Diaz did.

How many times did Shanahan "wait a second" when he was playing the game? I'll go ahead and speculate: none.

• Like 2

Oh, so now players have to wait for the opponent to see the hit coming, hold up, and then hit them? This ruling is a *****g joke. And I would say the same thing if Giroux got hit that hard.

Not blasting you, HF...rather the ongoing pussification of the league.

hf -- totally agree... I think the way the league is now Shanny has no choice but to suspend so the series does not get out of control. I just hate that a teammate makes a terrible pass and the opposing team gets a suspension for what I would call a clean hit. I just see a good solid hit there but I come to expect a suspension when this happens... name of the game these days.

just watched it myself. Sorry Buttman and Shanny...you blew this one. It was a clean hit by Gryba's shoulder. If anything Eller got cut either by the the whiplash of Gyrba's stick or when he hit the ice......Horrible call..just horrible. Sorry Eller got blown up like that, but that is the nature of the beast.

(ps I watch it frame by frame and found the frame that shows it was a clean shoulder to shoulder hit)

The ruling on the video--and I already closed it in anger or I'd post the link--was that the head was the principle point of contact.

I'm sorry, but the angle Shanny uses (from the end zone) WHILE explaining that the head is the principle point of contact CLEARLY shows it is not. He even rewinds it several times while reading the damn rule about head being point of contact (didn't he have a video recently that said this was NOT an ingredient, btw?). But in every damn look--and he gets it pretty slow--the head is NOT hit until well after there is hip contact, body contact, etc. In fact, in the angle Shanny uses, it's very difficult to argue the head EVER hits. Ever. I've seen it in other angles that looks like the head hits the arm after other areas are hit, but in the angle dumb **** is using to prove it's head first, you cannot see it hit at all.

I hate this ruling. I hate Shanny. I'm really starting to hate the NHL. You have absolutely no idea what you can and cannot do. We're playing with very big bodies moving very slowly on a small surface. Any hit could result in someone smacking their head on the ice. If I'm a player, I'm not sure I want to hit at all at this point.

There's no consistency, no logic, no keeping to reality. Nothing. This decision is utter bull****.

• Like 1

just watched it myself. Sorry Buttman and Shanny...you blew this one. It was a clean hit by Gryba's shoulder. If anything Eller got cut either by the the whiplash of Gyrba's stick or when he hit the ice......Horrible call..just horrible. Sorry Eller got blown up like that, but that is the nature of the beast.

(ps I watch it frame by frame and found the frame that shows it was a clean shoulder to shoulder hit)

Yeah, I don't see the head hit AT ALL in the angle Shanny shows. It's complete crap.

• Like 1