Has it been said lately? Tim Thomas....

Guest AMMOnation

ahhhhhh...ughgggghhhhh... would be funny if it wasn't so damn sad and true

It is extremely sad and frustrating. The sad irony of the whole situation is that the Flyers have been struggling to address the goaltending position since the guy named Bernie Parent has retired. They finally.... FINALLY... found what could have been at least a solid candidate to become a good goalie for the team for many years to come. Sure Bob had ups and downs in his rookie year, but who didn't? The great Martin Brodeur, who may actually be THE best goalie in the world of all times, did not exactly set the world on fire in HIS rookie year either. I don't recall the Devils cutting him or shipping him to another team after his first year.

And what did the Flyers do? Well, we all know what they did. I mean........for crying out loud... finally, they had a young, promising kid golaie with tons of potentials and instead of at least giving him a shot to see what he can do they totally, completely f**ed this up.

Instead, they decided to hand the reins and tie themselves up to a goalie who has proven nothing in this league and whose game they didn't even bother to study (!!). And they gave him tons of cash, thus hamstringing themsleves in cap, and commiting to the disastrous contract.

I mean I am almost lost for words how self-destructing this organizaiton can be at times, which they continue proving over and over again. It's almost like they TRY to not address this position. When one really puts things in perspective, there should really be no wonder why they haven't won a damn thing in almost 40 years.

Edited by Mad Dog

I'll never understand how all those hockey guys let such an obvious talent get mismanaged so blatantly (and so quickly!). No one could count his starts? Or they just didn't giveaflyingfk? Homer, Ed, BC...the assistants...all MIA. And Lavy, running the kid into the ground for 3 straight months...nice job there Pete, way to manage your assets.

They say Flyers' fans are hard on their goalies but the worst offenders, the biggest complainers and scapegoat artists are the damn Flyers themselves! It's no wonder the fans "blame the goalie" so much .... that's basically been the Flyers message to the fans....going on 40 years...a combination of "eh, any warm body will do" and "now this guy he can take us all the way!" Comes down to lack of respect for the position I guess...at least that's the way it looks.

• 1 month later...

bump.

@TSNBobMcKenzie

Expect an announcement shortly that Tim Thomas is exploring his return to play opportunities in the NHL.

@billmeltzer

With Schneider going to NJ, Luongo staying in Vancouver and Bob staying in Columbus, I think the odds of Flyers signing Tim Thomas increased

Isles still need two golatenders!!!!! We'll see...

Isles still need two golatenders!!!!! We'll see...

NHL - Islanders are reportedly talking to the Sabres about Miller and the Blues about Halak, Isles looking to add a Goalie through trade.

5:19pm - 1 Jul 13

NHL - Islanders are reportedly talking to the Sabres about Miller and the Blues about Halak, Isles looking to add a Goalie through trade.

5:19pm - 1 Jul 13

They need someone can see them going with Poulin only...

<br />Looks like he is wanting to return to the NHL. Might be a viable option if he's not looking for to much money. <br /><br />What's everyone think?

are we talking about tim thomas still? 'cause, if so....no. there will be a day that he isn't just not as good as he used to be, but full on completely and utterly terrible. that day is coming. October? December? march? may? two years from now? no idea. it's coming, though.

goalies like Thomas don't fade like brodeur or roy, they collapse. he has no fundamentals at all, he is all instinct and athleticism. brodeur or roy, as their speed goes, they fall back on their very solid basics and continue to get things done. Thomas, as his speed goes...there's nothing else there. <

Edited by aziz
  • Like 2

are we talking about tim thomas still? 'cause, if so....no. there will be a day that he isn't just not as good as he used to be, but full on completely and utterly terrible. that day is coming. October? December? march? may? two years from now? no idea. it's coming, though.

goalies like Thomas don't fade like brodeur or roy, they collapse. he has no fundamentals at all, he is all instinct and athleticism. brodeur or roy, as their speed goes, they fall back on their very solid basics and continue to get things done. Thomas, as his speed goes...there's nothing else there. <

Well said. The thing of it is, you probably see him brought in with the understanding of 40-50 starts.. So maybe he can pace himself throughout the year.

Funny thing of it, Mason reminds me a lot of Thomas. Very athletic, his positioning & rebound control needs work.

No. Just sign Ray Emery to a one year deal and get it over with. No Thomas. No Lecavelier. No overpaying in a trade for Ryan.

Emery isn't signed a 1-year deal. Flyers aren't giving more than a 1 year contract to anyone, they believe, but want to see Mason perform this season.

Looks like he is wanting to return to the NHL. Might be a viable option if he's not looking for to much money.

What's everyone think?

I see this is your first post, Welcome.

I'm not wild about signing Timmy T. A year or more off from hockey at his age.

no thankyou

If the Islanders aren't willing to toll Thomas's contract ....why should we sign him?

I don't expect them too i expect Snow to keep his word he said he wouldn't.

https://pbs.twimg.co...AkhmP.jpg:large

how many of these saves would have been scores with Bryz in net?????

Edited by OccamsRazor

I see Thomas is back in the Philly media today - writers asking the question whether the Flyers are indeed looking at Thomas. It seems they are... Oh no.... Just when you thought it was safe to celebrate Bryzgalov's dismissal... We're looking at Soon-To-Be-FORTY-YEARS-OLD Tim Thomas.

him and his "unorthodox style," which was based on what aziz said, instinct and speed. He's been away from the NHL for a year, his "style" has most certainly deteroriated.

Maybe he can play well again. Maybe. But unless he's willing to sign for backup pay ($1.0, $1.2) on a 1-year "tryout" type of contract I'd pass. Of course he won't accept backup pay so Hopefully that means we PASS ON Tim Thomas.

<br />But unless he's willing to sign for backup pay ($1.0, $1.2) on a 1-year "tryout" type of contract I'd pass. Of course he won't accept backup pay so Hopefully that means we PASS ON Tim Thomas. <br />

well, dunno about that. he HAS been gone for a year, IS almost 40, and DID leave his last team uncomfortably. he isn't in a position to demand a ton, I think there'd be a consensus that he needs to prove he can still play before he gets big bucks. I can't only hope that (if holmgren intends to sign him) the flyers try to be at the top of that consensus rather than in another humongus big universe.

don't want him, but he should be have-able for relatively cheap.

@canoli

this speculation is making me feel a little queasy, not throw up my mouth bad yet but it could get there.

Really we don't need "another name" we need a guy that will be solid, for my money i'd prefer to offer a contract to or trade for a guy that's been playing the game in one role or another than a guy that needed some "time off".

I don't even care about his politics per se but i am not looking forward to him and carchidi, hoffman, donnelan and severalli all in the same room needing to interact with one another...

pass please homer pass.

Plus there's literally no way he comes here for under 3 million. We need someone who will play for 2.5 or so.

You think he signs for a single year?

Thomas does not seem like a great idea to me.

Not a mentor and not someone who should be allowed near Mason.