Gustafsson #1 D-man for team Sweden

hf101

I'm not sure how many noticed this yesterday out of Metzler's blog but with Alex Elder suspended from further play in the IIHF World Championships Gus became the #1 defenseman for team Sweden with Henrik Tallinder of the Devils as they play Finland today in the semifinals. Gustafsson played over 33 minutes in the victory over Canada.

I'm finding this truly exciting for the Flyers, Gus could possibly become a 3-4 defender for the Flyers next season.

• Like 1

Gustaffsssoonn has the potential to be one of those undrafted Euro gems.

I don't think it should be overlooked that he's 24. Typically, that's about when defensemen really emerge into their own (with notable exceptions).

• Like 1

Gustaffsssoonn has the potential to be one of those undrafted Euro gems.

I don't think it should be overlooked that he's 24. Typically, that's about when defensemen really emerge into their own (with notable exceptions).

Hopefully Holmgren lets him develop this coming year with the Flyers

Hopefully Holmgren lets him develop this coming year with the Flyers

That was the folly of the Gervais and Foster signings (not to mention Lilja). Giving some third pair time with second team power play to develop your young players is essential. Clogging them up with "experienced vets" stifles growth.

Gervais is a career -81, has never been a plus player and lead the team this year with -17 in just 37 games. He had six points. Gustafsson was -1 in 27 games with eight points.

And Gervais is signed for next season.

Gustafsson played over 33 minutes in the victory over Canada.

See whta happen when you let someone grow into the role!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How nice things may unfold if given the time??????

Also this isn't directed at you more towards the Flyer brass....

...you planted a seed you must give it what it needs to grow....and one of the biggest things is TIME!

Sweden 3 - Finland 0

Gustafsson will be playing for the championship against ?? (team USA? hope so.)

Should be a hell of a finals....USA hockey had come a looooong way in the last 5 years I must say good to hear!!!

GO USA!!!!!

There is no reason NOT to expect big things from him next year. He has most of what ot takes to be a very solid blueliner in this league. I would like to see him polish his one on one skills a bit, but that will come with experience.

There is no reason NOT to expect big things from him next year.

Well big things maybe...one thing he needs most is consistency and it will come...but leave him in no matter what and let him figure it out. He's not waiver exempt anymore.

Ollie could use more time in the A though....and is exempt and should be use when needed.

Mezz i'd move for the best pick i could get for him in this upcoming draft, also a salary dump.

Waive Bruno and resign Huskins for under 9K.

Ollie could use more time in the A though....and is exempt and should be use when needed.

strongly agree

I'd like to see him work on getting quicker with his shot, it's a cannon but he takes a pretty long time letting it go.

I'd like to see him work on getting quicker with his shot, it's a cannon but he takes a pretty long time letting it go.

yes that and with more playing time he will learn to control the puck more/better and not have so many turnovers...he means well it's just sometimes it looks like he is over thinking things which inturn brings on some of the panick he displays handling the puck....

...the more experience he gets playing against solid talent every night that i believe will subside...thats my theory... :blink:

Really, really pleased with how Gus evolved this year. Expecting big things from him next year, including more pts on the pp. Any faults he does have can be easily worked on....Flyers scored big here with this guy. Always liked his game, thought he was a canidate for a break out year, and it turns out it was just that!

Really, really pleased with how Gus evolved this year. Expecting big things from him next year, including more pts on the pp. Any faults he does have can be easily worked on....Flyers scored big here with this guy. Always liked his game, thought he was a canidate for a break out year, and it turns out it was just that!

jammer? Is that really you?

Gus played at Northern Michigan. Never played Junior.

You're slipping man. Seriously, we're looking out for you here.

:ph34r:

Never played Junior.

Man you made we read that 4 times because unless you're refering to another post it seems rad you have been looking at screens too much and need a break...where does/did he say he played junior. :huh:

Man you made we read that 4 times because unless you're refering to another post it seems rad you have been looking at screens too much and need a break...where does/did he say he played junior. :huh:

Sorry, ongoing and longstanding fun with jammer who rarely has ever had a nice thing to say about anyone in the NCAAs :)

The :ph34r: is your friend.

Sorry, ongoing and longstanding fun with jammer who rarely has ever had a nice thing to say about anyone in the NCAAs

So now it makes perfect sense...well i wonder what the success rate is coming out the NCAA...from the little info i have it does seem juniors is the way to go...yet when it comes to the Flyers and turning them around i don't care where they get the talent and long as they get the talent!

Edited by OccamsRazor

@OccamsRazor

I actually think defensmen signed out of the NCAA are more ready for the NHL and make the transition more smoothly because of the simple fact they're older. a 17 or 18 year old is 95% of the time not ready for the big boy league but a guy that has had a standout career at a BU or Wisconsin is 21 or 22 more physically mature (and most times little more emotionally mature too) than the kid picked first from the Q or OHL who is 18. Justin Shultz comes to mind immediately as does Ryan McDounagh from the Rangers.

I actually think defensmen signed out of the NCAA are more ready for the NHL

Yeah once you look there are many out there in waiting...Devs have two (4 total) that i'm aware of...Jon Merrill, Seth Helgeson(played with Alt)

NYI..Robbie Russo(ND)...NYR...Brady Skjei(UM)...Pens...Brian Dumoulin(BC)...PHI...Ghost (union) Reece Wilcox (forget where) both will be signed after next year to ELC...then maybe return for their junior years maybe...and don't forget Lukko.

I beleive in 2-3 years you'll see Wilcox and Ghost in OnB....

Edit: Those i noted are just the ones in the Atlantic....amny more around the league.

Edited by OccamsRazor

@radoran Yeah, every once and a while I say a kind word about NCAA grads, but not to often ....ha ha. Honestly though, I think the gap is closing more and more. There are some excellent NCAA programs and the devopment of the USHL has been quick, tons of good players coming out of there....and churning more and more out every year. Having said that, Seth Jones is getting some invaluable experience playing in the Memorial Cup right now, the level of compitition in that tourny is gonna stretch out his skill set and he'll be a better d man for it.

• Like 1

Im glad to announce after watching every swedish game that Gustafsson did play the A game every game every shift. Man was I glad to see this!!! I couldnt see one single mistake or give a way in the semi final against the finns and in the final. He also scored a goal in the gold winning game against the new comer Swiss. Gus also played ALOT of minutes.

I think Gus will be a huge add to our team next season. Im glad for that.

Isnt it funny thou. Gus maybe grows to be one of our best defensemen but wasnt expected. Parent was expected but just disapeared. I mean, look at devils. They have had a strong team every year without going for the high drafted. Good scouting pays off! I think flyers really scouted good in Gustafsson.