Should Flyers pursue Brad Richards?

brelic

Apparently the Rags are going to buy him out. Surprise, surprise... it was another horrible contract. Can you believe that guy got paid $12M this year for 11 goals (pace of less than 20 goals)?

Anyway, he's signed until he's 40, and I think the Rags realized that this is their chance to get out. They've already used one buyout on another bad contract (Redden).

Would you sign Richards to a 2 year contract? Say, $3M per?

He becomes the 2nd line center, provides that veteran leadership... and we don't have to rely on him for offensive output, which the Rangers did.

That makes trading Couts for Bernier all that more palatable if it ever happens.

In any case, it would replace the loss of Briere, who we are apparently buying out (The Fourth Period claims to have a source).

Simmonds/G/Voracek

Read/Richards/Schenn

Gagne/Couturier/Hartnell

Rinaldo/Talbot/McGinn

If you move Coots, see if Laughton makes the team out of camp for the 3/4 line center role.

Apparently the Rags are going to buy him out. Surprise, surprise... it was another horrible contract. Can you believe that guy got paid $12M this year for 11 goals (pace of less than 20 goals)?

Anyway, he's signed until he's 40, and I think the Rags realized that this is their chance to get out. They've already used one buyout on another bad contract (Redden).

Would you sign Richards to a 2 year contract? Say, $3M per?

He becomes the 2nd line center, provides that veteran leadership... and we don't have to rely on him for offensive output, which the Rangers did.

That makes trading Couts for Bernier all that more palatable if it ever happens.

In any case, it would replace the loss of Briere, who we are apparently buying out (The Fourth Period claims to have a source).

Simmonds/G/Voracek

Read/Richards/Schenn

Gagne/Couturier/Hartnell

Rinaldo/Talbot/McGinn

If you move Coots, see if Laughton makes the team out of camp for the 3/4 line center role.

i dont think so, he's old, he's like briere, i wouldnt get guys that dont score, i would take a chance on iggy or horton those guys can score.

I, would, steer, clear, unless, he, was willing to, go lower, than, (much lower) 3M. Sorry, the comma button was sticking again. :blink:

I am all for letting Schenn center the 2nd line and having Cooter center the 3rd. Keep developing them and giving them time as I dont see this Team being ready to contend for another 2 years. The Flyers have a habit of putting centers on the wing which, to me anyway, is not helping thier development. I think next season will give us time to evaluate the young kids...

I like Bernier but noone knows if he is going to be a true #1 goaltender. I see the Flyers buying out Briere but I do see Bryz sticking around for another year. You are taking a bigger risk trading for an unproven goaltender in Bernier with only Mason as a capable goalie tandem. As good as Mason looked it was way too small of a sample size for me to think he is the #1...

Edited by murraycraven
  • Like 1

The Flyers have a habit of putting centers on the wing which, to me anyway, is not helping thier development.

Yeah, fair point. I still think we need to sign at least one veteran forward.. perhaps a winger is better as @toughfighter83 suggests.

S/G/V

Hartnell/Schenn/FA Winger

Read/Coots/Gagne

I'm assuming here that they will resign Gagne for about $2M or so. I'd really like to keep him as he brings a strong defensive game, and some of that quiet leadership. Plus, I want to see him retire in O&B.

No. The last thing this team needs is another center. If someone is moved as part of a bigger deal, to land a defense man, then maybe, depending on salary.

The only reason I want this to happen is so they can give him 18, and I can recycle my "other" Richards jersey. ;)

• Like 3

Yeah, fair point. I still think we need to sign at least one veteran forward.. perhaps a winger is better as @toughfighter83 suggests.

S/G/V

Hartnell/Schenn/FA Winger

Read/Coots/Gagne

I'm assuming here that they will resign Gagne for about $2M or so. I'd really like to keep him as he brings a strong defensive game, and some of that quiet leadership. Plus, I want to see him retire in O&B.

They definitely need a winger and one that can score! I really hope that Gagne gets signed as well. I still think he is a very effective player that is very responsible on the defensive side of the ice. It would be a shame to see him leave again and I think resigning him also would provide some goodwill to the fans as there is no doubt he is loved - and righfully so! Still one of my favorite players and a class act...

• Like 1

Screw Brad Richards. He was scratched in the playoffs for a reason: he wasn't scoring and can't be relied on as a defensive forward. Also, why the rush to demote B Schenn? Let Brayden center up the second line and let him further his development. And, save the money for someone more useful.

• Like 3

The Flyers have a habit of putting centers on the wing which, to me anyway, is not helping thier development.

I've never really understood this. what is the problem? a center is a forward who takes faceoffs and has defensive responsibilities deep in his own zone. a winger is a forward who, well, only takes draws on an as-needed basis and whose defensive responsibilities are limited to covering points. a center needs to have a winger's skill set plus some. a winger...needs a winger's skill set. so, what is the problem moving a center over to a wing? I mean, things look different over on the side, I guess, but it isn't like positions mean a whole lot while an offensive play is in progress. F1, F2, F3 is way more important as far as roles and responsibilities go than LW, C, RW. they end up playing all of the ice, regardless.

You are taking a bigger risk trading for an unproven goaltender in Bernier with only Mason as a capable goalie tandem.

what is the risk? that you'll have crappy goaltending? as far as net impact on the team goes, I literally don't think it can be worse than bryzgalov. I don't know how anyone feels he need to stick around just in case. in case of what?

The only reason to sign Brad Richards is to give him #18 and give fans some value for their jerseys.

In other words - no.

This team doesn't need older vets. They jettisoned the one(s) that might have helped this season. The young core needs to be put unquestioningly in charge.

Until the organization"s* braintrust** decide that Giroux "needs" a Pronger.... :ph34r:

* term used loosely

** doubly so

I've never really understood this. what is the problem? a center is a forward who takes faceoffs and has defensive responsibilities deep in his own zone. a winger is a forward who, well, only takes draws on an as-needed basis and whose defensive responsibilities are limited to covering points. a center needs to have a winger's skill set plus some. a winger...needs a winger's skill set. so, what is the problem moving a center over to a wing? I mean, things look different over on the side, I guess, but it isn't like positions mean a whole lot while an offensive play is in progress. F1, F2, F3 is way more important as far as roles and responsibilities go than LW, C, RW. they end up playing all of the ice, regardless.

what is the risk? that you'll have crappy goaltending? as far as net impact on the team goes, I literally don't think it can be worse than bryzgalov. I don't know how anyone feels he need to stick around just in case. in case of what?

I get where you are coming from Aziz but for a young player I tend to disagree. Yes, the days off the LW, RW and C are gone and now replaced by the F1, F2 and F3 so there is some overlapping depending on responsibilities. The offensive game is more read and react than positional play like it was in the older days. If a young player is used to a certain role than I would leave him in that position b/c it breeds more comfort and less thinking on the ice. It is their "natural position"... Crossing over a winger to a center also is a different change in responsibilities on both the defensive and offensive side of the puck as well. Understanding each role in a system is still paramount to getting the system to work.

As an example, albeit a loose example, I always played LW and C but I absolutely hated playing the RW. It seems basic enough but in all honestly it feels "off." When developing younger players people always downplay the most important fact - CONFIDENCE. At this level you know that the maority of players have the skill but if they lack confidence there game goes south - see Cooter this past season. As a Coach I put my players in a position that allows them the best success and allow them to gain confidence in their skillset over time. This is not to say that I do not play them out of position at other times but the majority of time will be spent at their natural position.

As the goaltending goes I think it is a greater risk going after Bernier than keeping Bryz around - as sad as it sounds. Bernier is not proven and has never felt the heat of a true #1 status in a large, goalie hating, hockey market like Phily. There is more risk in have two unknowns in net than having Bryz and Mason. Buy Bryz out next season and there are some good goalies hitting FA...

@murraycraven

Re: natural positions, I see what you are saying....I just think that the idea of natural positions for a 17 year-old is a less established thing. I mean, the best youth hockey forwards end up as their team's center, almost by default. Best hands, best skater, best passer, best shooter, put him in the middle, make sure he gets the puck as much as possible. Then the best youth players get grouped together in junior and guys start spreading out to the wings. The best junior players then get grouped together as pros, and the process continues. I imagine 95% of NHL wingers were centers until at least agree 15.

Anyway, you know better than I, is just my impression.

As for the goalie risk thing....I have a hard time imagining much riskier than the 43rd worst sv% in the league. Seems to me, at that point there is literally nothing to lose. Bernier is unproven, and who knows, but...he doesn't strike me as one of the 7 worst goalies in the league. Kinda no where to go but up, from there.

• Like 1

I have a hard time imagining much riskier than the 43rd worst sv% in the league. Seems to me, at that point there is literally nothing to lose. Bernier is unproven, and who knows, but...he doesn't strike me as one of the 7 worst goalies in the league. Kinda no where to go but up, from there.

-- can argue with that... the more I think it through the more I tend to think it would be a good idea to try and get Bernier... This Team will not contend next year so might as well take the shot now... The sooner we get Bryz out the better!

No,

the stop gap/band aid doesn't work

This would be an example of attempting the same failed strategy once again

They shouldn't sign any free agents.

Just use next season to evaluate the young players on the team and see what holes need to be filled going forward

• Like 1

@brelic I'd stay FAR away from Richards. He's clearly lost a step, does not play with the emotion he used to....and just as important, would stunt the growth of B.Schenn, Couts and maybe even Laughton. I didn't like him when he was part of the big 3 center UFA year, so I like him even less now. He might never crack double digit goals again.....passing.

• Like 2