What should Shero do with Fleury

Guest hf101

7 members have voted

1. 1. What should Shero do with Marc-Andre Fleury?

• Trade him
    • Buy him out?
    • Keep him?

MAF has two years left at a cap hit of 5M,

If Shero tries to trade Fleury it will be only to an acceptable list that MAF would provide. Who would be a willing trading partner that is acceptable to MAF?

If Shero decides to buy out MAF then which teams would be willing to sign him as a FA?

Who would the Penguins sign to replace MAF?

Or Does Shero dare decide to keep Fleury along with Vokoun next season?

Trade him if possible... keep him if not. I don't think they could afford to buy him out.

I just think his time is done in that city... kind of like Luongo I guess. Too many bad memories now.

I think Vokoun showed that all they need is someone steady to be competitive. And I don't think that Fleury fits that bill.

• Like 1

Will start out by saying I've never been a Fleury fan. But the post season this year should show that "on this team" Fleury is simply not a necessity. Vokoun's play should show Shero that you can be successful without a $5M goalie.

If Shero tries to trade Fleury it will be only to an acceptable list that MAF would provide. Who would be a willing trading partner that is acceptable to MAF?

If Shero decides to buy out MAF then which teams would be willing to sign him as a FA?

It's not like Vokoun is a franchise goalie either, especially at his age. Fleury I think is still a good goalie, he just had some confidence issues combined with a defense that, well, looked like the flyers'

I'm thinking Bryzgalov + Fleury as the Flyers' tandem.

That is really NOT FUNNY..........but I guess it coincides with my line of thinking....I would move Bryzgalov to the Pens for Vokoun...Then Fluery would have some real competition for head case of the year. :lol:

• Like 1

It is a lot of money to pay a guy that has not shown he can win when it matters, and is a distraction in the room and isn't a good skater with no ability, heck the team packed it in and played great defensive hockey in front of him too.

Oh wait MAF has a his name on the cup , was one of the Pens best players that year too, by all accounts he's pretty good in the room. he took this benching well and didn't sulk for long, a couple of days but that's to be expected, came back and worked hard in practice. All the talent is still there, I would hate to buy him out or sell low with a trade only to see him "get it " for another team. He's still young enough that in 10 years he will be able to look back on this stretch of his career and point to it as the time where adversity caused him to grow. We all know how poorly the Penguins played in their own zone this tournament so not going to harp on that.

Tough question for sure, that money could be used to keep Malkin and Letang, but are they the guys to keep ? especially 58, who was atrocious in his own end this playoffs.

I'm glad it's not my decision.

It is a lot of money to pay a guy that has not shown he can win when it matters, and is a distraction in the room and isn't a good skater with no ability, heck the team packed it in and played great defensive hockey in front of him too.

Oh wait MAF has a his name on the cup , was one of the Pens best players that year too, by all accounts he's pretty good in the room. he took this benching well and didn't sulk for long, a couple of days but that's to be expected, came back and worked hard in practice. All the talent is still there, I would hate to buy him out or sell low with a trade only to see him "get it " for another team. He's still young enough that in 10 years he will be able to look back on this stretch of his career and point to it as the time where adversity caused him to grow. We all know how poorly the Penguins played in their own zone this tournament so not going to harp on that.

Tough question for sure, that money could be used to keep Malkin and Letang, but are they the guys to keep ? especially 58, who was atrocious in his own end this playoffs.

I'm glad it's not my decision.

Letang... I truly think he's one if the premier defenseman in the league. Having said that, he really sucked in the postseason this year. But I'd keep him. We lose more games without him in the lineup than any single other player.

Fleury... I've supported him for years. He was very good for us up till the 2010 playoffs, then something broke. He's struggled in the playoffs since. What good is a guy who can now only win in the regular season?? I've waited as all Pens fans have for '10, '11, '12, and now '13... When is it time to move on? He MAY get good again in the playoffs, but how many seasons do you lose at $5 million each before you move on?

Trade. Trade. Trade.

There is a market for him. 30 NHL teams...I'm sure a few think a change of scenery will do him good. If there are teams insane enough to give Sergei Bryzgalov $10 million a year for life (or something like that) then there is a market for Fleury.

I am a convert to the Aziz Church of Goaltending. There are few goalies worth that kind of contract. Fleury is not one of them.

I voted keep him I possible. You are not going to get anything out of him right now.

Now if you can sign Mike Smith and go with a combo of Smith and Vokoun that changes things.....

I voted keep him I possible. You are not going to get anything out of him right now.

Now if you can sign Mike Smith and go with a combo of Smith and Vokoun that changes things.....

Maybe you could trade Fleury for the rights to Smith and a draft pick or so with Pheonix. Another team in goalie transition is the Wild. Backstrom is a FA and Harding who was to be the destined starter is now more of a question mark.

A Miller for Fleury swap would be another possibility.

Maybe you could trade Fleury for the rights to Smith and a draft pick or so with Pheonix. Another team in goalie transition is the Wild. Backstrom is a FA and Harding who was to be the destined starter is now more of a question mark.

A Miller for Fleury swap would be another possibility.

Why would Phoenix take on a $5 mil a year caphit for a lesser goalie?

I do think Fleury is tradeable, as long as the asking price isn't much.

For one they have the cap space. Fleury is younger, Smith has a concussion history. And belief that Fleury's game could tighten up behind a defensive orientated team.

Is Smith really a better goalie than Fleury?

• Like 1

For one they have the cap space. Fleury is younger, Smith has a concussion history. And belief that Fleury's game could tighten up behind a defensive orientated team.

Is Smith really a better goalie than Fleury?

I am not saying Smith is a better goalie than Fleury but if anyone ever seemed to need a change of scenery it is the flower. I still think he is a solid goalie and he did win a cup but he may need a change of scenery to get it back together. I just brought up Smith because he is an UFA.

I am not saying Smith is a better goalie than Fleury but if anyone ever seemed to need a change of scenery it is the flower. I still think he is a solid goalie and he did win a cup but he may need a change of scenery to get it back together. I just brought up Smith because he is an UFA.

I completely agree. I think Fleury could be successful in Phoenix or Minnesota behind defensively minded teams