Flyers acquire rights to Streit

@murraycraven

I'd like 2 years at $5.5. We'll probably get something more in line with what you said. It's like groundhog day with this franchise and stupid contracts.

the flyers are the pure definition of insanity... IF he signs a 2 year deal at 5.5M I would not mind the trade but I have little faith that Homer can convince him of those terms. I would expect a contract in the next few days and until then I am frightened at what the #s might be...

Here is an interesting take on the Streit acquisition.

I like the idea of it being a back up plan or an insurance policy to make sure you don't get taken in trades for a younger defenseman.

http://thehockeyguys.net/mark-streit-temporary-solution-on-defense-for-philadelphia-flyers-or-only-first-step/

Haven't read the article but this is a good point. The most likely alternative to trading for Streit was to trade Couturier for someone like Yandle. I prefer this.

@JackStraw

I'd have no problem with Streit for 2 years. What about 4? No thanks. It was the same thing with the Pronger/Briere/ Bryz contracts. Seems fine at the time of the signing. But projecting a 35 year old player 4 years down the road whose game is already deteriorating is an ugly prospect.

The majority of Flyer fans loved those 3 signings. How many like them now? I can think of 1.

• Like 2

I wasn't initially thrilled to hear we traded for Streit (I even thought of another thread where we joked that this would be the stereotypical Flyers move). I am only ok with this if it is a sign that we are finally going to build up the team around our younger players.

I just hope Homer doesn't offer a 3 or more year deal.

I wasn't initially thrilled to hear we traded for Streit (I even thought of another thread where we joked that this would be the stereotypical Flyers move). I am only ok with this if it is a sign that we are finally going to build up the team around our younger players.

I just hope Homer doesn't offer a 3 or more year deal.

I think it's a virtual guarantee that he will. Streit knows that he can easily get a 4-year deal on the open market. He wants that security. Homer will give it to him because a) he's shown commitment by trading for his rights and b) bad deals are in his DNA.

• Like 1

@JackStraw

I'd have no problem with Streit for 2 years. What about 4? No thanks. It was the same thing with the Pronger/Briere/ Bryz contracts. Seems fine at the time of the signing. But projecting a 35 year old player 4 years down the road whose game is already deteriorating is an ugly prospect.

The majority of Flyer fans loved those 3 signings. How many like them now? I can think of 1.

My preference would be three, but I suspect it will be 4. I prefer more than two because that gives you two years of Streit after Timo retires (assuming he retires after next season). They will need someone like Streit, with his skills and leadership, post-Timo. There's nobody in the system now that will be able to even pretend to be a #1 in three years. Nobody that they draft this year (assuming they draft D with their 1st rounder) will be ready for that either.

Obviously it's not an ideal situation but Homer screwed up and has to fix things as best he can. After the Pronger and Bryz fiascos, I'm optimistic that Homer won't get crazy signing Streit. Of course, I could just be crazy to believe that too.

@doom88, the bottom line is Gus is one dimensional, as are most of our defenseman.... Grossman/Schenn all defense no offense, Gus is a potential offensive dman but too small and weak to play big minutes and key defensive situations, teams like Boston would knock him all over the ice He can be effective if used correctly, but hes not a big minutes guy. Coburn is a big guy who can skate, but since his rookie year has provided no offense. Timmo has offensive and defensive skills, , but he's on his last legs. Mez is a big question mark with a big contract, coming of 3 major surgeries. Bordon, to me, is our best prospect, he skates pretty good for a big guy and can hit has a real good accurate shot, but with all those concussions Im not sure if he can make it back, but I hope so. Lauredson, is strictly a defensive guy, Streit is all offense. We really need an all around defensemen with defensive/offensive and physical skills. I agree there are not many to be had, but there are a couple of guys like that in the draft and I hope we can get one of them. I also think we could se another YOUNG smooth skating defenseman,who can setup some offense, our transition game suffered when we lost Carle and now we are gonna pay a 35 year old the same that Carle was asking for... Im not looking for a band aid solution like Streit, because after this upcoming season, when Timmo retires, we are right back in the same situation, looking for a big minutes defenseman. We have a decent draft position ,a surplus of centers including Laugton and Cousins, we need to make this draft count and land a good defenseman, especially if we are not going to land a dman in a trade. We are gonna go into this season with Streit and Timmo as our top 2 defensemen? and with Mez and Bordon coming of multiple injuries. Defense is like pitching in baseball, you can never have enough, as we all have witnessed over the years. The Flyers have had to make trades every year due to injuries on defense, and now with a defense of older guys and chronically injured guys, we need to start stocking up young skilled defenseman via the drat and via trading from surplus centers,ratther than overpaying for some 35 year old.

Good article Jack and it does raise some good points and the final note is what concerns me: Dallas set the bar for older d men with that Gonchar signing.

Streit will cost more and we are looking at a minimum of three years to this deal. I like the player but not for the money the terms that are sure to follow.

I would think this puts a bigger bullseye on Bryzs contract as far as cap management goes

Edited by murraycraven

There's nobody in the system now that will be able to even pretend to be a #1 in three years.

But can Streit pretend to be a #1 now? I don't see him as a #1 I think of him as a second pairing guy (3-4) at this point in his career.

• Like 1

Did Streit not stay with the Isles because of money/term or because it's the freaking Islanders?

Offering a three year deal with a competitive "contender" might be more attractive.

Spitballing here...

• Like 1

But can Streit pretend to be a #1 now? I don't see him as a #1 I think of him as a second pairing guy (3-4) at this point in his career.

More so than anyone else we have besides Timo. Meaning he can play plenty minutes and QB the PP, and help the transition game. Not a real #1, a "pretend" #1.

For what it's worth, Streit seems pretty anxious to sign with the Flyers:

"I'm pretty confident," Streit said when asked about the chances that the Flyers and his representation can connect on a deal. "Maybe they need a few days or weeks, but I'm pretty positive. It'd be awesome to play for the Flyers. The future is bright. They were in the (Stanley) Cup finals three years ago and there is so much skill and a great mix between veteran players and young players, so I'm pretty confident.

"I truly hope it's going to get done soon."

"This year was a short season and they had lots of injuries," Streit said. "That makes it tough. It was a special year because of the lockout. That gave an advantage to some teams and some teams struggled. But when you see the Flyers lineup, it is a playoff team. It's no question to me. I believe the Flyers will be in the playoffs next year. They have the skill and the physical part of it.

"It's a great group and I'd love to join that team."

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=425295

The other reason I like this move, and maybe I'm just spinning it to my own hopes, is that I would think this would make it more likely that Homer will pick a defenseman in the first round. They wouldn't have to rush a kid to get to the NHL.

I have not read through all 88 responses but my take is this ( if anyone came up with this point my apologies) : If your ship is sinking then plug the hole! Streit plugs a hole without giving up your cannons (Coots, Schenn, Reed, ect...). I don't mean to say the Flyers are sinking by any means...

If ... IF... Mez and Grossy are healthy next year the Flyers are underateted on just how well they are stacked on defence. Big "if" yes... But if you are GM then you gotta be a gambler to some extent.

To the point: Pay Streit what he demands (with in reason) , let the young d-men a big time chance and dont trade away ANY of the young fowards (except if Berneir (sp) is available). Butout Briere :( and Bryz and go with Mason and/or Bernier. Forget about a Yandle like trade. What you have to give up is to much.

Anyway... Just my thoughts on the matter. And the cap hit makes much more impossible anyway.

Idaho

• Like 1

I have not read through all 88 responses but my take is this ( if anyone came up with this point my apologies) : If your ship is sinking then plug the hole! Streit plugs a hole without giving up your cannons (Coots, Schenn, Reed, ect...). I don't mean to say the Flyers are sinking by any means...

If ... IF... Mez and Grossy are healthy next year the Flyers are underateted on just how well they are stacked on defence. Big "if" yes... But if you are GM then you gotta be a gambler to some extent.

To the point: Pay Streit what he demands (with in reason) , let the young d-men a big time chance and dont trade away ANY of the young fowards (except if Berneir (sp) is available). Butout Briere :( and Bryz and go with Mason and/or Bernier. Forget about a Yandle like trade. What you have to give up is to much.

Anyway... Just my thoughts on the matter. And the cap hit makes much more impossible anyway.

Idaho

Idaho... that is the positve part of the deal - we did not have to give up any of the youth. If this lands at a 3 year deal I am fine with it. As I said previoulsy I am basing all my arguments on the typical Homeresque type of contract and hope that I am wrong.

If your ship is sinking then plug the hole! Streit plugs a hole without giving up your cannons (Coots, Schenn, Reed, ect...).

what i'm not really understanding is what hole would streit plug? yes, he'd add firepower to the blueline, but he also brings defensive problems to the blueline. I don't know what problem is being solved there. getting the puck up ice helps defensively, of course, but...losing track of your check in front of the net hurts defensively...seems to me like a wash.

he's a good player, I don't hate this by any means, but it seems me like people are looking for a "#1 dman" of any description at all, just to say there is one on the team. a one way guy with defensive shortcomings...I just don't see the night and day this will bring about. timonen is getting older, but then so is streit. if timonen retires after his current deal...streit himself will be 37 the following season. not really passing the torch for long, is it?

I dunno. I fear the contract that will come with this, and don't see a corresponding upside. upside, yes, but not enough.

then again, maybe teams will be a little more gunshy about big deals with the cap dropping and all and the market will retract a bit. of course, we won't know that until july 5, and Holmgren likely doesn't let streit get to that point, so he'll be paying off of last summer's market prices.

what i'm not really understanding is what hole would streit plug? yes, he'd add firepower to the blueline, but he also brings defensive problems to the blueline. I don't know what problem is being solved there. getting the puck up ice helps defensively, of course, but...losing track of your check in front of the net hurts defensively...seems to me like a wash.

he's a good player, I don't hate this by any means, but it seems me like people are looking for a "#1 dman" of any description at all, just to say there is one on the team. a one way guy with defensive shortcomings...I just don't see the night and day this will bring about. timonen is getting older, but then so is streit. if timonen retires after his current deal...streit himself will be 37 the following season. not really passing the torch for long, is it?

I dunno. I fear the contract that will come with this, and don't see a corresponding upside. upside, yes, but not enough.

then again, maybe teams will be a little more gunshy about big deals with the cap dropping and all and the market will retract a bit. of course, we won't know that until july 5, and Holmgren likely doesn't let streit get to that point, so he'll be paying off of last summer's market prices.

We'll know by June 30 - because if they're adding Streit, they're going to have to buy out both Bryz and Briere (instead of just Briere).

what i'm not really understanding is what hole would streit plug?

The losses of Pronger and Carle left a humungous big hole in the defense. Specifically with respect to puck moving defensemen. It is impossible, without massively overpaying for someone like Pietrangelo, to completely fill that hole. Streit at least slows the waters rushing in through that hole. There will be more moves on defense to come, there has to be. Streit gives Homer some breathing room. I wouldn't have traded any young players of value for him, but for what Homer gave up it's low risk, medium high reward.

I wouldn't have traded any young players of value for him, but for what Homer gave up it's low risk, medium high reward.

agreed to this point, but the risk won't be fully seen until a contract is signed. that's where this could do damage, depending on how typical-Holmgren Holmgren decides to be with it.

• Like 1

Did Streit not stay with the Isles because of money/term or because it's the freaking Islanders?

Offering a three year deal with a competitive "contender" might be more attractive.

Spitballing here...

I am hesitant to say this team is a contender right now - even w. Streit. If that is the case and Streit wants to be on a contender than he should be having a chat with Homer. As is, this team is just going to be contending for tee times next playoffs (as they stand now).

Edited by murraycraven

agreed to this point, but the risk won't be fully seen until a contract is signed. that's where this could do damage, depending on how typical-Holmgren Holmgren decides to be with it.

Agreed. I'm fully confident that Homer has learned from his past mistakes and will not do something stupid here. Hey, wanna buy a shiny new bridge?