on Bryzgalov - In Their Own Words ...

Guest canoli

Old news to most of you but in case you didn't know there's been more dirt published about Bryzgalov recently. The story quotes an unidentified source, labeling it simply "league source" but so far there's been no retraction, no claims of being misquoted... just for fun (!) I added the older stuff too from Morris and Aucoin, teammates of his in Phoenix.

from http://www.thefourth.../phi130613.html

The league source also indicated that the decision to buy out Bryzgalov's deal isn't fully related to money, as "he's disliked by many" of his teammates.

"They don't want to play for him or with him," the league source said.

Going back before the Flyers acquired Bryzgalov's services...

from Derek Morris:

from http://www.broadstre...adelphia-flyers

We're actually glad -- first of all, I'm glad he's gone because the guy we brought in has done a great job and fitted in real well, made our team even closer. There was some animosity there with Bryz sometimes.

from Adrian Aucoin:

Q: Is he misunderstood? Sometimes you look at a guy who's speaking a second language and go wait a minute. My take on it is that's an excuse, so I'm gonna say no, but I'm not his teammate. I was just watching.

Aucoin: No, he's a pretty smart guy. He knew what he was saying.

more from Aucoin -

from http://www.cbssports...694626/33354625

when asked if there was, in fact, animosity in the locker room, "Absolutely. I honestly haven't met almost any hockey player that's really a bad person. I think he was different as a player, obviously he was a great player, more as a person. Sometimes he just did things that aren't very typical of hockey players or teammates, but he's a good goalie."

That last bit sounds to me like a disclaimer more than anything else, where he says "but he's a good goalie."

In any case it sounds like it's a done deal - Bryzgalov will be gone when the Final is finished. I hope so because nothing gets better for the Flyers until Bryzgalov is Gone.

• Like 4

Flyers' fans around North America are celebrating as we speak! (as long as it actually happens)

but F me if we go fixing one [major] stupid move with another in Streit. I guess I'm in the minority but I never rated Streit very high - a poor-man's Letang - and now that he's closer to 40 than 30? Yipes! He's an upgrade of sorts for the Flyers because he brings mobility on the back end, which is always welcome. But we're proposing to tie up ~$6mil for FOUR YEARS for 30-SEVEN year old? Cuckoo! Cuckoo!

Yandle I like, I like a lot. But Phoenix is looking for roster players - plural - plus picks plus god knows what else. They don't want a deal they want Santa Claus.

• Like 1

@radoran

I don't get your Morris and Aucouin thing rad. Is it what happens in the lockerromm stays? Cause to me, even though they are NOT hall of famers, they were right on the money with Bryz. And you could see the team trying harder for Mason last year.

• Like 2

And you could see the team trying harder for Mason last year.

I t would just be nice not to have to cringe every time a skater breaks in alone with the puck uncontested....you like me, like everyone else knew when Bryz was in the net it was a score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mason changed that feeling simply by making the simple stops....a sigh of relief...the whole team exhaled thinking ....WOW...this is what solid goaltending looks like...and guess what they like us all liked the feeling.....

...man just give us a chance we'll take it from here and they played so much better i couldn't believe it.

Just having a hungry kid in net is a nice change! One small nice thing too is that at least Mason and Bob are only a couple months apart birthday wise.

waiting for a post from TF83 in defending Bryz in 3..2..1

Sorry but Bryz has worn out his welcome in Philly and with that monster contract...he needs to go......

Mrs. Bryzgalovs feelings are already well known and understandable. And wrong.

• Like 1

@radoran

I don't get your Morris and Aucouin thing rad. Is it what happens in the lockerromm stays? Cause to me, even though they are NOT hall of famers, they were right on the money with Bryz. And you could see the team trying harder for Mason last year.

Everything is in the eye of the beholder.

I'm happy to have any conversation about Bryzgalov, except one that uses the failure of an "unnamed league source" to claim a "misquote" as an excuse to dredge up Morris and Aucoin again.

As I said to canoli before, I'll stop saying I don't give a rat's ass about the comments about Morris and Aucoin when people stop continually posting them.

My "thing" about the two of them is that neither has won a damn thing, ever. And Morris was traded away from a winning team (Boston).

So, I consider the source there. Why do I think either of them has any knowledge of what it is like to be on a winning team?

I wouldn't have signed Bryz to the contract. Think he has played abysmally. Believe he will be bought out.

I just don't feel the need to cling to two quotes from losers to back up my opinion. The evidence is obvious without the crap.

and you can quote me on that.

My "thing" about the two of them is that neither has won a damn thing, ever. And Morris was traded away from a winning team (Boston).

What does them winning anything have to do with validating someone statement??????

That Rad don't make any sense, so you'd heed their word had they raised the Cup...yet they didn't so ignore it?????

Sorry can't follow the logic in that.

To me it's like real life myself i listen to what people say then try to form my own opinion myself...weather it turns to be true is right in some cases and wrong in some cases.

In this case i feel it to be right from what i've seen since he's been here.

Right or wrong... :blink:

<br />My "thing" about the two of them is that neither has won a damn thing, ever. And Morris was traded away from a winning team (Boston).<br /><br />So, I consider the source there. Why do I think either of them has any knowledge of what it is like to be on a winning team?<br />

you can give weight to their statements or not, but what does winning something have to do with it? former teammates have indicated that he is a dick who pisses people off in the dressing room. why are their credentials relevant? does it take a Stanley cup winner to have a valid opinion on what it's like to be a given guy's teammate?

the unnamed league source is weak, I agree. but we did hear this coming from those two right after the trade. then we saw how bryzgalov interacted with teammates on 24/7. then we heard his weirdo quotes about drinking tea on the bench. then we saw how guys played in front of him. then we saw a different team in front of mason. THEN we have some anonymous source saying he is a pain in the tookas as a teammate and management is taking that into account as they try to decide what to do with him. to pick each of those apart individually and dismiss them is to miss the preponderance of small bits of evidence.

Edited by aziz

you can give weight to their statements or not, but what does winning something have to do with it? former teammates have indicated that he is a dick who pisses people off in the dressing room. why are their credentials relevant? does it take a Stanley cup winner to have a valid opinion on what it's like to be a given guy's teammate?

the unnamed league source is weak, I agree. but we did hear this coming from those two right after the trade. then we saw how bryzgalov interacted with teammates on 24/7. then we heard his weirdo quotes about drinking tea on the bench. then we saw how guys played in front of him. then we saw a different team in front of mason. THEN we have some anonymous source saying he is a pain in the tookas as a teammate and management is taking that into account as they try to decide what to do with him. to pick each of those apart individually and dismiss them is to miss the preponderance of small bits of evidence.

So, yeah, nothing to see here. Nothing new to report. Bryz is a space cadet. Flyers should buy him out. Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

Just an "unnamed league source" who - get this - didn't deny it or say he was misqutoed. Could have been Bettman's secretary.

Better throw out the Aucoin and Morris stuff to get some relevance to the undisputed unnamed league source. After all, those quotes are two seasons old... Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

Again, free to do it. And I'm free to express my opinion about it in that context.

For me, the damning aspect of Aucoin and Morris - if you want to look for one - is on management who apparently had no idea whatsoever that Bryz was a bad teammate. Apparently did nothing whatsoever to even ask their own captain who had played on a Stanley Cup winning team with him.

But as for whether or not Bryzgalov should or should not be a part of the Flyers going forward, the comments of Aucoin and Morris mean absolutely nothing. What is said behind closed doors among the leadership group of the team to the people who made the mistake in the first place is the only thing that matters to me.

And the Flyers are on records stating that Bryzgalov will be back next season. So, take that for what it's worth.

Which is a heckuva lot more.that anything Aucoin or Morris could ever offer.

<br />And the Flyers are on records stating that Bryzgalov will be back next season. So, take that for what it's worth.<br /><br />Which is a heckuva lot more.that anything Aucoin or Morris could ever offer. <br />

right. because flyers management always shoots straight with the media regarding their offseason plans, whereas oddly candid derogatory statements from former teammates are so frequently empty boilerplate.

What is said behind closed doors among the leadership group of the team to the people who made the mistake in the first place is the only thing that matters to me.

except you will never know what that is. given that this is a fan message board for people to discuss and speculate on what the team is going to do, or what they should do, we work with what we have. if there are former teammates who came out and said the guy sucks in the lockerroom -an impolitic thing that very very rarely disclosed, though its reality can't be completely uncommon- it is entirely appropriate to add that to other evidence available and come to speculative conclusions. both about how the guy is received and what it is that might be said by the leadership group of the team.

@aziz

Any particular reason for responding solely to the points you did?

We'll see what happens with Bryz. I can think of half a dozen plausible scenarios in which Bryz gets bought out, but none of them end up with the Flyers in front of an unproven Steve Mason and Calvin Heeter or Anthony Stolarz or Michael Leighton.

Wouldn't surprise me to see him bought out at all. Wouldn't surprise me to see him around next year.

Would shock the hell out of me if he was here the year after that.

Again, "behind closed doors" they had their own team captain who had played with Bryz on a Cup winning team on which Bryz played some very important playoff games.

Bryzgalov had also been in the league for a decade - and we are to believe there was absolutely no indication about his "bad teammate" status "behind closed doors" from "unnamed league sources" that might have been an indication that signing him to a nine-year, no movement clause deal was perhaps the stupidest *****g thing ever in the history of the franchise?

This is team management that makes Bryzgalov's woeful play in goal look like Vladislav Tretiak by comparison. And now, because those same people that cost the fans half a season and gave away another tainted Cup, traded away the Vezina trophy winner and now will spend another $1.4M a year for the next 14 years to buy themselves out of their own problem I'm supposed to believe that they will magically get it right the next time?

Well, I don't. And in this context, Bryzgalov is small potatoes - but a glaring example of a bigger problem.

So to what people want to talk about on a fan message board, perhaps two year old quotes from Morris and Aucoin have some relevance.

Maybe it's just not specifically the relevance that the first and most obvious observation makes it.

Punch higher.

And the Flyers are on records stating that Bryzgalov will be back next season.

A while back they did...but just earlier this week when Snider was asked, instead of injecting a ringing endorsement...Snider deferred and said "Ask Homer."

HHHhhhhmmmm why not repeat what you've said earlier??????

I'll tell you why, they sat down and thought about it with the emotions out of it and they know this team is better off without him regardless of what he is owed....and Snider said he wants to win...

...so action speak louder than words they need to spend the money else where cause Stalin Jr. the Space Cadet don't give a ****t where or if he plays he's getting paid none the less.

@radoran

It just boggles my mind when people give credence to management press statements, things we know are empty and meaningless and completely disconnected from anything real...while statements from two players breaking an unwritten rule against bad mouthing fellow players to the media are thrown out the window. And for some reason their lack of cup rings entered into the conversation.

Look, I have no idea what is going to happen this summer. I see no reason to hang onto bryzgalov, and every reason to cut him lose...but Paul Holmgren hasn't asked my opinion yet. Regardless, I am one hundred percent positive that anything he or ed snider say to the press about it should be utterly ignored, because the public party line has nothing to do with what is being talked about behind closed doors. That, I can only guess on. My guesses are influenced by the most complete picture I can put together of bryzgalov's impact on the team, be it positive or negative. That picture will take into account what little insight I have been able to gleen as to his ability -or lack thereof- to mesh with a locker room. Statements from former teammates will absolutely advise that. And thus, I believe snider and Holmgren's discussions include chemistry problems bryzgalov brings. If that is the case, bryzgalov will cease to be a flyer in the next few weeks.

Current press releases notwithstanding.

@radoran

It just boggles my mind when people give credence to management press statements, things we know are empty and meaningless and completely disconnected from anything real...while statements from two players breaking an unwritten rule against bad mouthing fellow players to the media are thrown out the window. And for some reason their lack of cup rings entered into the conversation.

Look, I have no idea what is going to happen this summer. I see no reason to hang onto bryzgalov, and every reason to cut him lose...but Paul Holmgren hasn't asked my opinion yet. Regardless, I am one hundred percent positive that anything he or ed snider say to the press about it should be utterly ignored, because the public party line has nothing to do with what is being talked about behind closed doors. That, I can only guess on. My guesses are influenced by the most complete picture I can put together of bryzgalov's impact on the team, be it positive or negative. That picture will take into account what little insight I have been able to gleen as to his ability -or lack thereof- to mesh with a locker room. Statements from former teammates will absolutely advise that. And thus, I believe snider and Holmgren's discussions include chemistry problems bryzgalov brings. If that is the case, bryzgalov will cease to be a flyer in the next few weeks.

Current press releases notwithstanding.

• Like 1