Bernier might now cost us Couturier

brelic

Well, now we have to deal with the here and now...Mason + Whomever. We don't know what cost us Bernier..or what it didn't cost. And if we gave up one of our youngsters we'd be hearing about how we sacrifice youth. The sad reality is that we didn't have a good backup to offer...and that is apparently what LA wanted.

So, let's spend our time wondering if Bryz is cut (and I think that happens), or if we are stuck with the dude for another year? I don't see him around after that.

If you read the New York Post, their hockey analyst wrote an absolutely scathing piece on the Flyers with regard to Streit. He wondered how the Flyers could get the guy with so many defensive liabilities....and a second-tier d. This guy knows of what he speaks in terms of Islander coverage.

So let's hope we actually avoided a mistake...because so far this offseason I don't see much room for hope from Homer.

Best,

Howie

• Like 1

Sad to say Homer will make atleast 1 mistake each year. If Mason doesn't work out this year then I see him signing a over the hill goalie next year and we will be in the same position again. Seems like we are curse at the goalie position. Don't know when he will learn how to manage the cap, he can give bums like Gervais, Shelley and Lilja a 2-3 year contract to eat our cap space and that hurt us from keeping Bob because he was way overpaid as a backup.

• 3 months later...

I just reread this thread.  It's only one game as a starter, but not a bad way to start it off.

I was googling some old articles.  Rumors where also Jake for Bernier.  IF..and that is a big IF.....if Bernier plays like stud for the Leafs....and you had a chance to pull the trigger....Either Coots or Jake for Bernier...do you do it?  I agree it is only game #1...but damm Bernier did look pretty good tonite........just saying.....

Bernier outplayed Couturier tonight, and won the game.  But as far as comparing a goalie to a center goes, the comparison needs to be revisited after a year or many, not after a single game. 

But dammit, as far as tonight goes, they should have pulled that trigger.

Bernier outplayed Couturier tonight, and won the game.  But as far as comparing a goalie to a center goes, the comparison needs to be revisited after a year or many, not after a single game. 

Like every other backup goalie in the past two seasons. Every time a backup goalie gets a start in Philadelphia, we suck a beating them.

If ever there was a time to trade one of our young guys, that would have been it. I know he's young and has plenty of time to grow, but I'm not particularly attached to Couturier at all, especially if he got us a franchise goalie.

• Like 2

Bernier, like I had been saying all along, is going to be a stud.

We're going to be tortured by seeing him in Blue & White for a long time.

Thanks, Homer - we have two back-ups, while TO has two starters.

If ever there was a time to trade one of our young guys, that would have been it. I know he's young and has plenty of time to grow, but I'm not particularly attached to Couturier at all, especially if he got us a franchise goalie.

If we could have acquired Bernier for Cooter & Homer didn't pull the trigger on that deal, he should just clean out his office right now.  That would be the bonehead move to end all boneheaded moves.

Cooter is basically going to be a good checking line center.  That's no insult, but he is not anything to get worked up about. 

Franchise goalies don't come along very often, as we all well know.

If we could have acquired Bernier for Cooter & Homer didn't pull the trigger on that deal, he should just clean out his office right now.  That would be the bonehead move to end all boneheaded moves.

Cooter is basically going to be a good checking line center.  That's no insult, but he is not anything to get worked up about. 

I disagree with you on what Couturier could become. I think his ceiling is first line center, and his absolute floor is #2/3 center. For him to be #1 C he will need to develop his offensive game and find a way to neutralize or mitigate his slow foot speed. If he doesn't, that's why he would be #3 C at best.

Given all that, I still was perfectly fine to trade Cooter for Bernier. If his ceiling really were "a good checking line center" why in the hell would LA trade Bernier for Richards-lite?

Cooter has all the tools... we just happen to need a stud/franchise goaltender more, which is what Bernier's potential is.

Some (most?) people here didn't want to part with Couturier even for a guy like Bernier.

I don't know if the rumor was player-for-player or if Homer didn't pull the trigger. No idea. But if it was, I too would have done it in a second. He's young and it could always change, but I agree with you. I don't see him as anything better than a 2nd line center right now, but with Vinny on the team, he isn't going to even get that spot in the foreseeable future.

• Like 1