BRYZ IS GONE!

First it was Danny Briere, now it’s Ilya Bryzgalov.

The Flyers used the second of their two compliance buyout options today, parting ways with Bryzgalov after just two seasons.

“I met with Ilya this morning and informed him that we are going to exercise a compliance buy out of his contract,” general manager Paul Holmgren said. “This was a very difficult business decision to make for us and we want to thank Ilya for his time here and wish him all the best moving forward.”

Bryzgalov was originally signed to a nine-year, $51 million contract prior to the start of the 2011-12 season.

He never lived up to the value of that contract and after two tumultuous seasons with the team, is on the open market.

The Flyers will have to pay Bryzgalov two-thirds of the balance owed on his remaining term, or $23 million, but will have twice as long to pay it off.

As such, the Flyers will pay Bryzgalov approximately $1.643 million per year for the next 14 years to not play for them.

Bryzgalov, 33, never fulfilled his promise in Philadelphia, playing in 99 games for the Flyers going 52-33-10 with a 2.61 goals against average and a .905 save percentage in the regular season. His GAA and save percentage while with the Flyers ranked lower than his career averages of 2.55 and .915 respectively.

He also played in 11 playoff games for the Flyers going 5-6 with a 3.46 GAA and an .887 save percentage.

The Flyers will save $5.667 million on the cap for each of the next seven seasons by exercising this buyout.

Combined with the Briere buyout, the Flyers have saved themselves about $12.17 million against the cap in each of the next two seasons.

The Flyers are now out of compliance buyout options.

Stay tuned for more on this story throughout the day….

It's official.

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=675163

Flyers GM Paul Holmgren issued the following statement with regards to goaltender Ilya Bryzgalov.

“I met with Ilya this morning and informed him that we are going to exercise a compliance buy out of his contract. This was a very difficult business decision to make for us and we want to thank Ilya for his time here and wish him all the best moving forward.”

Edited by dilbert719

“This was a very difficult business decision to make for us and we want to thank Ilya for his time here and wish him all the best moving forward.”

No choice really you're going to have to lose a lot of talent you have collected just trying to keep one guy...just doesn't make sound business sense...remember they are the ones that keep referring to it as a business...so you can't keep bleeding money....

This really makes me angry that Bryz was let go. Ok, even I couldn't keep a straight face trying that lie...If anyone is honest with themselves, he did NOTHING to build camaraderie with teammates,management or the city. My advice to you Bryz is as follows.... Go join the Russian space program

• Like 1

I hope this clown goes to the KHL...

I hope he goes to the Penguins. Let them deal with his bullcrap for a while. (Also, the look in Fleury's face when he realizes he's being replaced by Comrade Shtheadski will be priceless.)

Edited by dilbert719
  • Like 2

@DaGreatGazoo Here is my question DGG, does the timing of this buy out put Homer in a weaker positon with potential UFA goalies or a potential trade partner?? As much as I LOVE Bryz being gone...I question the timing...keep him for 2 more weeks. Perhaps the season ticket renewal is coming up...lol?

The skate has dropped!

I concur that this has to mean there is another goalie move in the works.

If that is true, WHY the Flyers decided to ANNOUNCE this now (when they don't have to for another WEEK) is beyond me.

Anyone feel Homer should sign up for Negotiating 101?

• Like 1

@DaGreatGazoo Here is my question DGG, does the timing of this buy out put Homer in a weaker positon with potential UFA goalies or a potential trade partner?? As much as I LOVE Bryz being gone...I question the timing...keep him for 2 more weeks. Perhaps the season ticket renewal is coming up...lol?

something tells me there is another deal brewing here jammer...

• Like 1