Slow Dancing on the Grave with the Murderer

Guest radoran

Bryz is gone. Not coming back. Done. Over with.

But the guy who signed him to the nine-year, $51 million deal (with no movement clause) is still here.

We won't have to deal with Bryz's glacier-like grace on breakaways, his waxing rhapsodic about Soviet dictators or his caninophilia. We won't ever have to hear about Derek Morris or Adrian Aucoin ever again (because, honestly, why would we?).

We just have to let the guys who evaluated Bryz and signed off on giving him a nine-year, $51 million contract with a no movement clause and replace the (now) Vezina winning goalie they already had choose the next guy to backstop the Flyers.

They think that Mason has the makings of a #1 for the team. As a fan, I hope Mason can overcome that.

Bryzgalov was a mistake. A mistake the Flyers will be paying for for the next 14 years. It's Comcast's money. Doesn't count against the cap. We, as fans, "don't care."

But the guy who made this gut wrenching, franchise-crippling move is still running the show.

Bryz is gone. Good riddance.

Homer should follow.

Now.

• Like 4

@radoran

You would like to think when you cost your company Brieres buyout AND Bryzgalovs...you gotta be on a short leash. Or you're just saving face for Snider.

edit: Oh and awesome thread title.

The worst part is that he's already dished out another bad contract.

No, it's not Bryzgalovian, but a 4-year deal to a 36 year old Streit is reckless and unnecessary.

A 6 year deal to Hartnell is not a smart 'business' decision.

This is the guy who gave Richards a 12 year contract, Carter an 11 year contract, Bryzgalov a 9 year contract, and Pronger a 7 year contract.

How many of them are still playing for our team? Zero.

Out of 39 contract years, we got 6 years out of those players. SIX. Unless you want to count the 13 games Pronger played in his final season.

The real problem was not the one bought out today.

This had snider written all over it. This is not homer.

Which is a sad, sad joke of a way to run an organization - assuming true.

If I wanted to have Dan Snyder or Jerry Jones as an owner, I'd root for the Redskins or Cowboys.

As it is, we have the second coming of Al Davis.

A proud, ancient history. A terrific brand and great look. National fanbase.

An outdated and outmoded approach to the game.

• Like 1

I also think Ed made the call on Bryzaster, as do many Flyer fans. But, once you ponder this, my underlying problem is this...if it happend once, has it happened in other transactions....and if so, how do we fairly evaluate Homer as a GM?....it's a slippery slope. For instance, did Ed intervene in the Striet signing, it has the same calling card, this "it's broke just fix it at any cost" kinda attidtude. The Hartnell deal has the same kinda stink to it...let's hope this year was an abberration and give this guy a 6 year deal based on the "faith" he can rebound. When you deal out 6 year deal, it should be a slam dunk, no faith required.

I also think Ed made the call on Bryzaster, as do many Flyer fans. But, once you ponder this, my underlying problem is this...if it happend once, has it happened in other transactions....and if so, how do we fairly evaluate Homer as a GM?....it's a slippery slope. For instance, did Ed intervene in the Striet signing, it has the same calling card, this "it's broke just fix it at any cost" kinda attidtude. The Hartnell deal has the same kinda stink to it...let's hope this year was an abberration and give this guy a 6 year deal based on the "faith" he can rebound. When you deal out 6 year deal, it should be a slam dunk, no faith required.

I have every reason in the world to believe he can be the Flyers' Darcy Regier.

I think this one is on Ed. I also think Bryzgalov would have had another season to prove Ed's genius were it not for the Stalin comments. The moment he became both an underperforming player AND a public relations disaster, it became a lot easier for the camp that wanted to get rid of him to have their way.

I have no proof of this but I think Ed gets directly involved in player personnel issues only on rare occasions. His role is more one of constantly reminding everyone that "the future is now, if you know what I mean" and the rest takes care of itself (and the picks get traded). My worry is that it gets worse as Ed gets older, more desperate to win, less astute and more convinced he has the answers. Al Davis is not out of the question.

Do I think Hartnell can rebound from last year? Absolutely. Am I going to like Hartnells contract in years 4,5 and 6 as much as I liked Brieres, Prongers and Bryzgalovs? Absolutely.

Do I think Hartnell can rebound from last year? Absolutely. Am I going to like Hartnells contract in years 4,5 and 6 as much as I liked Brieres, Prongers and Bryzgalovs? Absolutely.

To me, this is the crux of the problem. Hartnell is not the kind of guy you lock up for 6 years, *especially* at his age. Giroux? Sure. Voracek? Sure. Luke Schenn? Sure. I would say that's it.

I have no proof of this but I think Ed gets directly involved in player personnel issues only on rare occasions.

I was under the impression that he is responsible for shipping out Richards and Carter. That's another pretty significant decision.

Carter played zero games in Philadelphia on his 11 year contract with a NTC that Homer just offered him. There's no way a sane person offers that kind of contract and trades that player without even playing a single game of said contract.

I was under the impression that he is responsible for shipping out Richards and Carter. That's another pretty significant decision.

Carter played zero games in Philadelphia on his 11 year contract with a NTC that Homer just offered him. There's no way a sane person offers that kind of contract and trades that player without even playing a single game of said contract.

I just commented on the Philly.com site that there is plenty out there to suggest that the Flyers are not simply run by Holmgren, with Snider simply condoning the result. He would have been fired by now. It would be one great piece of investigative journalism to actually piece together a picture of how the team operates.

People are offering up "It was Ed" as if that somehow makes things better.

It doesn't.

It makes it worse.

So, apologize up and down for Homer. Apologize for his signings, decisions, evaluations...

Apologize for everything. It's not his fault. He's only the General Manager of a National Hockey League club. Not like he has any control or influence.

It's all Ed's fault.

Feel better?

You would like to think when you cost your company Brieres buyout AND Bryzgalovs...you gotta be on a short leash. Or you're just saving face for Snider.

edit: Oh and awesome thread title.

To be fair I don't think the Briere buyout is a huge issue... 3.3 million paid out over 4 years ain't a large sum. And at least you can argue that Danny earned the vast majority of his contract, unlike sieve-galov. Danny would still be a Flyer if the cap hadn't dropped so drastically as a result of the new CBA.

To be fair I don't think the Briere buyout is a huge issue... 3.3 million paid out over 4 years ain't a large sum. And at least you can argue that Danny earned the vast majority of his contract, unlike sieve-galov. Danny would still be a Flyer if the cap hadn't dropped so drastically as a result of the new CBA.

I disagree - for exactly the reasons you cite.

I don't think the plan was for Briere to play these two seasons - they were essentially option years. This was a cap circumvention deal from the jump.

With a $70+ million cap, they would have been able to fit his buyout under the cap, even with the penalty.

• Like 1

Where else could you cost your company $23MILLION and still keep your job? It's always sunny in Philadelphia!

Well it ain't quite $23 million but this is a pretty good effort. Dude hasn't been sacked yet!

Baggage handler causes £4million damage to British Airways jet

A British Airways plane had to abort take-off after a baggage handler left a tool on the engine cover and it was sucked into the plane.

The error is said to have caused £4 million in damage to the Airbus A320, which was due to fly from Heathrow to Bucharest in Romania when a loud bang was heard.

The 150 passengers on board were taken off the plane and reportedly left to wait three hours for another flight.

The incident is understood to have happened after the baggage handler left his luggage-scanner gun on the cowling and forgot to remove it.

I don't think the plan was for Briere to play these two seasons - they were essentially option years.

You might be right but even so with Danny B the way the deal was structured with 3 mill and 2 mill for the last two years would mean that if he was a worthwhile asset they would still have him under contract with no need to buy him out. If it wasn't for his cap hit I would keep him on the team for the wages he would be paid.

This was a cap circumvention deal from the jump.

Absolutely right, no dispute from me there!

Edited by EDI-Flyer

People are offering up "It was Ed" as if that somehow makes things better.

It doesn't.

It makes it worse.

It does, but how's this for a scary thought:

Ed Snider loves the Flyers. He will be President until the day he dies.

What happens then? What if the person Comcast elevates to the position doesn't love the team? What if it's just another business to run to them? The mismanagement of the team we see from his position is aimed at maximizing profit, yes, but Ed also cares about winning a championship. The style has failed consistantly, but the team has also had its shots. What happens if we get someone who doesn't care about winning? What if we get Phillies management pre-CBP?

Note that I'm not apologizing - top to bottom the management style needs fixing because it's clearly not sustainable, and those couple of shots they've had at the cup (One good shot since the implementation of the cap) have ultimately fallen short. But we could be in for an even rougher ride once Ed's gone.

@radoran

Excellent post, Rad…. as always. You said it all here.

After hoping the Flyers would buy Bryz out, this came to fruition. But let’s not overlook the fact that this was an admission of a mistake, the costly mistake Snider and Homer made when 2 years ago they excitedly rushed to sign this crazed maniac to a gargantuan, fully unjustified contract, having invested no time to even study the personality, let alone the strengths and weaknesses of the player whom they were investing in so heavily.

That trade and its consequences is a perfect sample of what’s been plaguing this franchise for decades. So while we are celebrating the team ridding themselves of the player and his contract who they perceived as a problem NOW, let’s not lose sight of the bigger problem here. And this problem is the man at the realm. The man who interferes in the team affair like no other chairman of a professional sport team does (maybe with the exception of Mark Cuban) or did. The man who encourages and practices a promote-from-within concept, thus indirectly enabling the incompetence.

There is no doubt in my mind Snider was 100% behind signing Briere and Bryz in the first place and was an initiator of removing these contractors, just like I have no doubt that Snider was consulted on giving Chris Gratton a ridiculous signing bonus (only to let it wash down the toilet), hiring Wayne Cashman, firing Roger Nelson, starting the feud with Lindros, replacing Clarke with Holmgren, and multiple other decisions that directly or indirectly prevented the Flyers from reaching the ultimate goal for what is approaching 40 years. This is the man who never seems to be short of excuses for the team’s failure, who is always ready to point fingers at everything and anything but his own flaws, and who throws out the infamous “We don’t know what the rebuild is”. This is the man who is arrogant enough who consistently refuses to acknowledge there are better ways to do business and encourages his GMs to follow the same path of futility year after year.

The Flyers remind of a bad car owner who sees the Check Engine light in the front panel of his car and instead of going to a mechanic to run a full diagnosis of the problem, chooses to just keep hitting the reset button so the Check Engine light disappears only to re-appear in two weeks later.

Edited by Mad Dog