Homers next move: Let's talk about G

Based on what I am reading form various sources I think the next move (internally) is to lock up Captain G. While there is a lot of speculation what do you expect in relation to the Cap Hit and Terms of the contract? Is an 8M cap hit on the way? What is the expectation on the contract length? What does he deserve based on a break out year 2 seasons ago and an average (in G terms) year in a shortened season?

IMO, this contract is going to be the crux of what the "Organ-eye-zation" is built upon for years to come...

Thoughts?

It is inevitable that G will get a extension here and won't make it to his RFA status. I think it will be the max on years 8 and a average cap hit of 7.5 mil. I would want to see him retire in a Flyers jersey but doubt it. I think he's well worth the money, he's a competitor and willing to improve all areas of his game. We can never have enough of these kinds of players.

• Like 1

I would want to see him retire in a Flyers jersey but doubt it. I think he's well worth the money, he's a competitor and willing to improve all areas of his game. We can never have enough of these kinds of players.

This is the cynic in me coming out, but that sentence is Mike Richards...before he signed his huge deal..and got the "C". Kinda scary, isn't it?

• Like 1

Based on what I am reading form various sources I think the next move (internally) is to lock up Captain G. While there is a lot of speculation what do you expect in relation to the Cap Hit and Terms of the contract? Is an 8M cap hit on the way? What is the expectation on the contract length? What does he deserve based on a break out year 2 seasons ago and an average (in G terms) year in a shortened season?

IMO, this contract is going to be the crux of what the "Organ-eye-zation" is built upon for years to come...

Thoughts?

Giroux will probably get an 8 year deal with an annual cap hit of $7.5 million

I don't think there is any doubt that it will be a significant deal, both longevity-wise and money-wise. I think the Flyers don't have many choices. They are at a spot where they were with Richards when they ponied up a big chunk of cash and everything else. Giroux is their man, the face of the franchise not only now, but more importantly, for many years to come barring any unforeseen circumstances. It’s clear they made that decision and that’s actually fine as Giroux *is* a good player. He will get paid. I am thinking they should be prepared to give him at least $7mil per year for the next 5 years. Whether it would be an overpayment or not, only time will tell since G is still very young and so many things can change over the duraiton of this upcoming contract.

I think he's a very good player, but still not quite A+ quality. I'd give him an A, sometimes A-. I'd see if I could sign him for 2-3 years as the highest paid Flyer, which would be what, 6.5 Mil?

If he grows into elite after that, then max him out.

This is the cynic in me coming out, but that sentence is Mike Richards...before he signed his huge deal..and got the "C". Kinda scary, isn't it?

I see your point but don't see Richard's personality in G. Also G handles the media way different then Richards.

Flyers have Giroux's rights through next July and will almost certainly lock him up long term.

I don't see any reason this needs to be done rightnow.

Therefore it will be signed tomorrow.

rad... I swear I read a qoute from Homer that he wants a new deal in place for G by training camp. Honestly, I expect an announcement w/in weeks...

I think he's a very good player, but still not quite A+ quality. I'd give him an A, sometimes A-. I'd see if I could sign him for 2-3 years as the highest paid Flyer, which would be what, 6.5 Mil?

If he grows into elite after that, then max him out.

Entirely agreed. There are several better and more consistent players out there. I'd like 5.5, settle for 6.5, and send him for a PCS check at 7.5. Also, the cap dropped, so salary expectations need to as well. Shattenkirk got 4m/4yr.

Entirely agreed. There are several better and more consistent players out there. I'd like 5.5, settle for 6.5, and send him for a PCS check at 7.5. Also, the cap dropped, so salary expectations need to as well. Shattenkirk got 4m/4yr.

Doom... your smoking crack if you think he is getting anything remotely less than 7M per year. Puff, puff, give...

rad... I swear I read a qoute from Homer that he wants a new deal in place for G by training camp. Honestly, I expect an announcement w/in weeks...

Shall I quote all of the people who told me in no uncertain terms that whatever Homer says to the media is not to be taken seriously?

As I understand it, there is some relation to space available under the current cap to sign extensions:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26366

Extensions may be negotiated but only in the final year of the contract and only if such extension is for an amount that can be accommodated in a Club's upper limit for the current year or as computed for future years.

That's from the 2005 CBA, but I have seen nothing to indicate that was changed in the new one.

Doom... your smoking crack if you think he is getting anything remotely less than 7M per year. Puff, puff, give...

Do you honestly think he's worth that much? I don't. I'd also limit his contract to 4 years. Keep him hungry, and if he's elite after 4 years, pay him accordingly. No more paying out the nose and hoping for the development to follow.

And I do like Giroux. He's a good talent, but not top ten in the league. Probably not even in the top 5 for his position.

Shall I quote all of the people who told me in no uncertain terms that whatever Homer says to the media is not to be taken seriously?

As I understand it, there is some relation to space available under the current cap to sign extensions:

http://www.nhl.com/i...ge.htm?id=26366

That's from the 2005 CBA, but I have seen nothing to indicate that was changed in the new one.

Rad, that just means that the extension, along with all carried forward salaries, must fit under the current cap in all out years, unless a new cap has already been computed. Essentially, you use the current cap as the projected cap in the future. It doesn't mean that if you extend Giroux for 6 million/year that it has to fit this year. Carter and Richards wouldn't have been able to sign their extensions had that been true.

Do you honestly think he's worth that much? I don't. I'd also limit his contract to 4 years. Keep him hungry, and if he's elite after 4 years, pay him accordingly. No more paying out the nose and hoping for the development to follow.

And I do like Giroux. He's a good talent, but not top ten in the league. Probably not even in the top 5 for his position.

If you look at his production this year there was a substantial drop off, cannot argue that point and not sound like a fanboy.

Injury? Growing pains? Rotating linemates? Lot's of factors attributed to the meh season, but his point production was not elite.

He hustled, he grew as a leader but I can't really disagree with your point here... there are guys I would trade him for.

Doom, while I agree I think you are looking at 7.5M per year... Not saying he is worth it but I think that is the price honestly.

On my eyes he is going to get paid on potential. He has the potential to be an elite player but I think he is the top of the 2nd tier in the league. He is not Crosby, Malkin or Stamkos but has the potential to be in that group.

Two years ago he was in that elite group but with a shortened season and everything else last year he slipped below that elite level.

If they sign him in the coming weeks it will be based on what the Flyers think he will be... Like everything else they do....

Last, I hope you know I was just joking around with you :-D

mc, I wasn't sure, but if I'm going to say something that against the grain so to speak, I'd better be ready to defend it. No worries at all.

mojo, G cannot ever be in the Crosby tier, period. The development wasn't nearly as fast, and he's still not consistent. Generally speaking, Stamkos and Crosby will score their points, regardless of linemates, defenses, etc. I doubt G could carry a 2-line team, and guarantee he can't be the guy on a 1-line team.

• Like 1

Rad, that just means that the extension, along with all carried forward salaries, must fit under the current cap in all out years, unless a new cap has already been computed. Essentially, you use the current cap as the projected cap in the future. It doesn't mean that if you extend Giroux for 6 million/year that it has to fit this year. Carter and Richards wouldn't have been able to sign their extensions had that been true.

True - and thanks for clarifying (I recall it coming into play with resigning someone in recent years) - but it also means that they need to take that into consideration when also looking to sign Couturier and Brayden Schenn - whom Homer has apparently labelled as "untouchable" according to CSNPhilly.