Dreger reports Vinnie to Flyers

Fact is too me that Vinny wasnt needed here. A YOUNG Center with size yes but not a 33 year old declining forward no matter who else we get. Too me, he's a piece you add to put you over the top, he's not close to doing that here

Oh I don't disagree at all. I think this is a backward, stupid, detrimental way to build a team, but par for the course this franchise has been operating. They are not learning and will not change their approach until Snider passes away or steps down. I really think at this point we just have to accept this and hope that by some miracle, they will still manage win the Cup.

• Like 1

Giroux should be okay. Kimmo is off the books next year and the cap will go up.

I don't know how adding Streit, trading Mez and maybe Coburn, while adding Vinnie makes this team any better. I just don't. Any help?

• Like 1

@OccamsRazor "he insist painting himself in a corner everytime....why can't we create cap space first...then sign someone....no he needs to be in the red first...."

He gets out of cap hell with Bryz and Briere, and does the same thing with Vinny and Striet....he has learned nothing. Until he gets fired, this will be the way of the Flyers....every over the hill geezer who wants a final deal will come knocking. SICKENING.

Yeah now watch Tampa sign Danny Briere....

The. We'd need more d men again. One of them should go and it should be mr glass mezzo. But you're probably right. I bet it'll be both.

May have seen the last of both Mez & Coburn as Flyers.

If only there were a way for Homer to trade Hartnell. That would help a lot, IMO.

I am a bit surprised by all the negative reactions. Fifteen teams wanted this guy " BAD", and we got him. Some here make it sound as this is a disaster.

Fifteen teams wanted him at less cash and years, NO NMC as well, thats why he's here

Wow... Never thought Vinny would sign here. I am not sure what to think but you did add size and a lot of skill. He can still play but before I comment further I have to see what other moves are coming.....

I think it is safe to say that Coburn is a goner...

• Like 1

Posted · Hidden by brelic, July 2, 2013 - Duplicate
Hidden by brelic, July 2, 2013 - Duplicate

Wow... Never thought Vinny would sign here. I am not sure what to think but you did add size and a lot of skill. He can still play but before I comment further I have to see what other moves are coming.....

I think it is safe to say that Coburn is a goner...

I don't hate Vinny but this is a typical Snider/Flyers move. No patience and our young players will move on to win somewhere else. Someone on this board drew a comparison between the Cowboys and Flyers. That looks pretty darn accurate right now.

• Like 2

@ This was a luxury signing for the Flyers, a luxury that was put ahead of fixing the D and goaltending. Now, if we don't make a deal to free up cap space, we will have to find this bargain basement crappy tender....putting all the pucks in Mason's basket....mr.respetable for 7 games. UNREAL

If you look at the players that would have to go, to free up that cash, I think those players are needed more here except Mesz who you cant rely on.

So I guess I'll put my Laughton jersey in moth balls.... ;)/>

Beat me to it Earle. So much for all the "he has a great chance of making the club next year talk". I don't think he has the size to play wing either.

@ I don't get why anyone thinks Mez is tradeable, his cap hit and injury problems make him a no go for any sane GM. He's untradeable till he plays a half a season and proves he can stay healthy.

• Like 3

I am a bit surprised by all the negative reactions. Fifteen teams wanted this guy " BAD", and we got him. Some here make it sound as this is a disaster.

It's not a disaster. But the team just rid itself of two bad contracts. And less than a week after, they completely undid that and chained themsleves to another bad contract. Again.

• Like 4

Jammer... I think people hold out hope that they can move Mezz but no one is going to take on his contract and his wet paperbag body...

I don't think Mezz is going anywhere but I never thought the Flyers would sign Vinny either.

If we were going to waste all that $$$ Id rather have a younger power winger like Horton. Guarantee Coburn is gone for a young dman with a low contract. Wouldn't be surprised to see Read or coots also traded. We just dumped 2 overpaid guys Briere and Bryz to sign Streit and Vinny two old guys to huge 5 year contracts. To me our needs were a power winger and a goalie, Whats the infatuation with centers.

• Like 1

I'm not outraged over this. Ultimately when I look at this offseason I say. The Flyers cleared cap space, got rid of Bryz, and got two young defenseman prospects in their system with a lot of upside, they didn't trade Schenn or Couturier.

If you could say all those things 2 weeks ago we'd all be relieved.

Not necessarily a huge fan of the signing. I'm intrigued and cautiously optimistic, but all in all the offseason isn't a disaster.

• Like 3

Fifteen teams wanted him at less cash and years, NO NMC as well, thats why he's here

As a fan I am still pissed in coming short in last year free agency, so I think this could be some kind of message to the rest of the league that Flyers are a major contender, and are in it for winning the cup. Yeah yeah yeah, too much money........but it is Snider's money for crying out loud.

While I agree we have too many centers Horton is gonna cost more and to be frank he was a product of playing with good players in Boston. Just like he was in Florida the guy will not keep up his production elsewhere.

Horton will be this FA Brad Richards... Gets paid a ton but never produces at the level he was expected...

I'm speechless....don't get me wrong....i like vinny...but again..not at this contract price...

i seriously don't get....we need goalie and defensive help...and homer pulls this??

where does that leave coots or laughton. laughton back into juniors or with the phantoms???

i take my kiddo for a bath and all you know what breaks loose here.....

As a fan I am still pissed in coming short in last year free agency, so I think this could be some kind of message to the rest of the league that Flyers are a major contender, and are in it for winning the cup. Yeah yeah yeah, too much money........but it is Snider's money for crying out loud.

Agree...

So by the time this 5-year contract expires, Vinny will be 38.

Who wants to bet the Flyers will buy him out well before the contract runs its course?

I am sorry......... I want to laugh, but it's not funny.

It's not a disaster. But the team just rid itself of two bad contracts. And less than a week after, they completely undid that and chained themsleves to another bad contract. Again.

totally agree...as i posted above. I don't hate Vinny. (he always seemed to be a Flyer killer anyway) However, as MD just mentioned..it is the contract that has me irked.