Edmonton still likely destination for Coburn for Klefbom?

Guest RonJeremy

Obviously one of our dmen is going in a trade, so its either Coburn for something or Mez for nothing. If the Oilers are where Coburn is going.... I was I was looking at Hockeys Future website and checking out Edmonton's prospects, to see who we might be asking for. I would assume we would want a young dman and we aren't getting Nurse or Schulz, so maybe we are after Oscar Klefbom? He was their first rounder from Sweden a few years ago, he is rated at 8.0 with Hockeys Future. A big guy, 6ft 3, but not too heavy, but an offensive skilled defenseman. I would think we want defense since the guys we drafted wont be here for 2-3 years and with Timmo retiring next year, I cant see us trading Coburn for anything but a defenseman with a small contract.

i think more likely they are getting smid http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Richard-Cloutier/Okay-NOW-the-Flyers-Need-to-Deal-Coburn-to-the-Oilers/131/52500#.UdS5S210l6A

i did research on him, he's a good shutdown defensemen, he's got some scoring ability, excellent first passer and shot blocker http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/nhl/1857/ladislav-smid

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=9225〈=en

If its just straight up fro Smid, Id rather have Coburn. Not sure what Smids contract is? but we need to dump 4 million for 1 million. the other kid they talk about is Paajarvi, I think we need a good young defenseman for Coburn, not a winger.

• Like 2

@AndyS I don't see the Oil moving Schultz, if they did it would cost a lot more than Coburn. The kid is a future Norris canidate. You'd have to pay a pretty price to get him, can't see the Flyers being in a position to afford him.

Edited by jammer2

Obviously one of our dmen is going in a trade, so its either Coburn for something or Mez for nothing. If the Oilers are where Coburn is going.... I was I was looking at Hockeys Future website and checking out Edmonton's prospects, to see who we might be asking for. I would assume we would want a young dman and we aren't getting Nurse or Schulz, so maybe we are after Oscar Klefbom? He was their first rounder from Sweden a few years ago, he is rated at 8.0 with Hockeys Future. A big guy, 6ft 3, but not too heavy, but an offensive skilled defenseman. I would think we want defense since the guys we drafted wont be here for 2-3 years and with Timmo retiring next year, I cant see us trading Coburn for anything but a defenseman with a small contract.

I'd do it for Klefbom...but it is more likely Mezz for a 7th is all...

.....too someone anyone Homer can find no need to trade Coburn or really even Mezz but it needs to be done...they would just have to waive Gervais.

I like the idea of adding Paajarvi and then signing a young FA Dman. We need cap space. I still don't see the plan here of weakening the defense while signing Streit and Vinny. It's one thing to trade Co urn to get younger and cheaper but the. Why sign two older gets at high salaries.

I hate the Streit contract. Hate it.

I like the idea of adding Paajarvi

I don't.

He was highly touted and has skills, but I think EDM ruined him. Certainly his confidence. But even when I saw him playing with confidence - his game got a little better last year - he's way too peripheral a player for my liking. I don't think he likes the traffic much. I base this on owning him in fantasy (inherited him). Traded him for Nikitin and picks while he still had value.

In short, not Flyer material.

• Like 1

Why not Coburn and Akeson (or something like that) for Klefbom and Smid?

Wonder if throwing Read into that would make it work? Not sure if Edmonton needs a winger, but they get a Dman that's signed, a decent prospect, and a proven winger(but pending UFA)....

Is that too much? I don't know much about Klefblom, but like what I've read about him on here.

Edited by DaGreatGazoo

He was highly touted and has skills, but I think EDM ruined him. Certainly his confidence. But even when I saw him playing with confidence - his game got a little better last year - he's way too peripheral a player for my liking. I don't think he likes the traffic much. I base this on owning him in fantasy (inherited him). Traded him for Nikitin and picks while he still had value.

In short, not Flyer material.

@Podein25,

Spot on, Sheep Man! I got to see him a lot in the AHL. Beautiful skater with some offensive skill, but not really superstar talent. Soft on the physical play and rarely goes into the high traffic area in front of the net. His play along the boards was OK, but again, nothing to really separate him from other players. He would probably benefit from a change of scenery.

He would probably benefit from a change of scenery.

That's definitely the case. But I'm not sure it would be enough to get a leopard to change it's spots. Having said that, a lot of people criticized (fairly, I think) a young Jake Voracek for also being too peripheral. And he's changing in that regard, so it's possible.

With Pajaarvi, I'm not at all certain. His play seems to match his personality.

Is nurse definitely out of the picture? If we were so close on draft day to getting the pick, I imagine we could still up the offer. Maybe something like nurse + paajarvi for coburn, couturier +?

That is a lot to give up for two unproven players.

That is a lot to give up for two unproven players.

Agreed, perhaps too much. I would package read and coburn for that deal in a second though.

Or mez + inevitable over payment like couts, or read and cousins

Edited by Bring back Esche